Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 Wedge Review

... I really don't understand the decision to put TOUR B on the sole were it will get clogged with dirt and mud on virtually every shot.

Something to monitor but this didn’t happen during yesterday’s round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 Wedge Review

First time getting my seinfeldian wedges out for a spin....2holes in.....

“Mulvvva” is a keeper. Up and down twice

05a6a2fc36ffd7bb50906fe8bbd979b4.jpg

These are sweet. First off they’re completely different than my other gamers (King Black). They were different than those by a measurable amount.

These wedges are “clicky” sounding like the Cobras. They are soft sounding if that makes any sense. I also really enjoy the profile of these. Maybe the fact they have the sati finish as opposed to the black finish but I find them to be a bit easier to look down at. When you catch them flush on full shots the sound is muffled and they spinnnnnn. I hit them a bunch on our short game practice area today and found they don’t roll out as much as my other wedges. Good to know. Maybe it’s cause they’re brand new or maybe it’s just the wedge itself. Either way....the spinnnnn. These are just some initial thoughts. I’ll try and lay it all out this evening or this weekend after another round or two

Although these are some damn good looking wedges, and I look forward to seeing how they perform.....I agree with this. Im also not a fan of the "biting rail milled" wording either. I think if you take both of these off it will clean this wedge up very very nice.

Neither are visible at address, when looks matter most. I played like hot garbage yesterday. It was a slow round and hiot and muggy. We played as a 2.5 some (my middle son played and my 7 year old just putts) so I intended to hit a lot more practice shots than we did, but the 3 some behind us was waiting to hit every hole as we were and with kids with you, you don’t ever want to give the appearance that you are the slow folks. I mainly wanted to test the wedges out more, but couldn’t because of the way the course was playing.

From what I could see, and I only contacted the ball the way I wanted to with them about 50% of the time, they perform very well. It was my first round with them so there was a steep learning curve. I only go to 56* in my actual wedge setup, so I ordered the 58* mainly for my middle son. I can flop shot with 52* so anything more than 56* isn’t something I want to do. Shots that I hit well checked up well. My middle son (he’s a 9.6 HC ending last year and a short game wizard) fell in absolute love with the 58*. It would be a good bridge for someone that isn’t comfortable going to 60*.

Checking up is where these wedges shine. The few that I hit clean hit and bit. My boy hit way more shots clean than I did and constantly found himself shy of the hole with the 58*. If they are clipped they impart an incredible amount of spin. He had several 30-35 yard shots that he’d land 8 yards shy and they stopped 10-15ft shy of the hole. Both of our old wedges just didn’t do this. With the old ones it was check, check, and release. With these shots from that range they're check, check, and stop.

I hope to play a round where I can give better input soon but they are very good at spinning the ball. Not so much when they’re bladed or the club hits 2” behind the ball though. I did both with frightening regularity yesterday.

These are sweet. First off they’re completely different than my other gamers (King Black). They were different than those by a measurable amount.

These wedges are “clicky” sounding like the Cobras. They are soft sounding if that makes any sense. I also really enjoy the profile of these. Maybe the fact they have the sati finish as opposed to the black finish but I find them to be a bit easier to look down at. When you catch them flush on full shots the sound is muffled and they spinnnnnn. I hit them a bunch on our short game practice area today and found they don’t roll out as much as my other wedges. Good to know. Maybe it’s cause they’re brand new or maybe it’s just the wedge itself. Either way....the spinnnnn. These are just some initial thoughts. I’ll try and lay it all out this evening or this weekend after another round or two

I hit exactly one full shot on the course with these wedges so far (103 yards out). If you like zip-back on your wedges, I can confirm that you should try these. I usually hit the ball so high that I’m mainly about 2 feet in front of my pitch mark. I had one hop and zip back about 15 feet yesterday-on a flat surface. They don’t lack in spin, for sure.

Just got done with my 2nd full round with these wedges. Some thoughts I have...
-trying to get used to full shots with these bounces. Should be a big deal but on a 50-80yd shot I find myself digging the earth like crazy with my 60/10.
-I switched to the 56/10 and started having better luck
-pounding the 56&52 nicely but feel my distances are a little shy of where they were with my King Black wedges. This likely has nothing to do with the wedges as it is more is a shaft difference. Nippon Modus in the Bridgestone vs KBS cTaper lites in my Cobra’s. Not really a huge issue as I always thought I hit the other wedges too far with little spin
-Speaking of spinnnnnnn. Ask @Gunner. Anything inside of 20-30yds. Chips. Pitches. Flops. I’m not sure I e ever played wedges with more bite or tug straight out of the wrapper. Complete 180* from my other wedges and it is a welcomed sight.
-not 100% sure why they stamped the “TourB” on the sole of the club either. I love the aesthetics of it in the bag. But, they do fill with dirt and it could just be in my head but I swear they actually snag slightly through turf contact. Like I said, could just be in my head.

Through two rounds, I’m loving the shape. Loving the finish vs the black wedges I was gaming. Loving the short game performance. I’m trying to get used to actual wedge shafts and I’m glad the three on the Golf Pride MCC grips as that’s what I would’ve picked anyways.

I also just finished my 2nd round with the Bridgestone XW-1 wedges. Favorite shot was 109 yards to a pin in the front right corner of the green from light rough on the left side of the fairway. 10 yards short = water (stream). 10 yards right = water (pond).

A smooth swing with the 50* (bent to 51*) wedge dropped the ball on the green around 107 yards and it rolled to 2' from the cup. The goal was 10" left of the pin. Oh well, I'm not going to complain about a birdie. I'm experiencing straight ball flight but the aim is slightly right of expectations. Just need to work on setup.

Just got done with my 2nd full round with these wedges. Some thoughts I have...
-trying to get used to full shots with these bounces. Should be a big deal but on a 50-80yd shot I find myself digging the earth like crazy with my 60/10.
-I switched to the 56/10 and started having better luck
-pounding the 56&52 nicely but feel my distances are a little shy of where they were with my King Black wedges. This likely has nothing to do with the wedges as it is more is a shaft difference. Nippon Modus in the Bridgestone vs KBS cTaper lites in my Cobra’s. Not really a huge issue as I always thought I hit the other wedges too far with little spin
-Speaking of spinnnnnnn. Ask @Gunner. Anything inside of 20-30yds. Chips. Pitches. Flops. I’m not sure I e ever played wedges with more bite or tug straight out of the wrapper. Complete 180* from my other wedges and it is a welcomed sight.
-not 100% sure why they stamped the “TourB” on the sole of the club either. I love the aesthetics of it in the bag. But, they do fill with dirt and it could just be in my head but I swear they actually snag slightly through turf contact. Like I said, could just be in my head.

Through two rounds, I’m loving the shape. Loving the finish vs the black wedges I was gaming. Loving the short game performance. I’m trying to get used to actual wedge shafts and I’m glad the three on the Golf Pride MCC grips as that’s what I would’ve picked anyways.

They are some spinny suckers aren’t they? Since it was slow (but we had a group pushing us so we couldn’t screw around on the prior holes green) on Thursday my middle son and I had a bunch of contests of trying to hit a certain shot onto our tee box. Winner the previous hole called the next shot. I was hitting flops from 25 yards with the 56*. This is why I don’t need any more loft than that, i just open it up and play it like a bunker shot. Anyways most of these were dropped into rough and hit on to tee boxes. Even under those conditions the ball was stopping within 10 feet or so of where it landed. A couple that were clipped pretty tight with a fairly full swing even grabbed the tee box (read as basically Fairway) grass and hopped and stopped. I need to hit a short game practice area hitting into a green really soon. Most of the time when I play the course isn’t as packed as it was Thursday so I can practice a lot of stuff on the course. Of course when I really wanted to, the course was packed. They run a special on Thursday so it’s their busiest day. Oh well.

The course was wet and soggy after a storm rolled through this afternoon. Other than a 60+ minute rain delay and a stiff breeze, it was a good day for golf. :D

The 60* wedge continues to be a fun club for green side chip shots. The 56* is the most versatile wedge. I'm using it from the sand, tie lies, and the rough.

I really like the look of the TOUR B logo on the bottom of each wedge. However, the logo fills with dirt on wet days but it's easy to clean with a damp towel.

I got mine in Friday. Man the are clean!!!!!!!!!!! I havnt had the chance to test them out yet but will hopefully this week later on.

I visited the range over lunch but had to hit off mats because of recent rain storms. This created a good opportunity for a head-to-head full swing comparison between the Callaway Apex CF16 AW (50*) and Bridgestone XW-1 50* (bent to 51*). A pre-test assumption said the Apex AW is ~10 yards longer. It's always good to test your assumptions! Ball flight, feel and distance are very similar with these clubs. I don't have any data but the XW-1 spin rate is significantly higher. Is it the fresh grooves? I'm sure that's a big part of the answer.

I'm comfortable with the Apex AW top line but it's pretty chunky when compared to the XW-1. I'll try to visit the range again tomorrow and retake some photos.

Finally got some swings in with the wedge (delivered Monday). Great balance and the face is huge! Much larger than the scratch wedges (played more like irons). Have to see them on the course tomorrow but initial reviews are great. A little busy on the back. A flat gray "B" would have been the way to go. Shiny kills it but ok if they perform.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

A little steel wool would fix that "B".

A little steel wool would fix that "B".

Much ado about nothing...no need for steel wool.

These will be my next wedges when the SM7 get worn down, 54 /8 and 60/6 sounds like fun

hmm, looking at the specs on their website it may have to be a 52 / 8 and 58/ 8 as I don't see the 54 or 60 in the bounces I like.

Much ado about nothing...no need for steel wool.

Yeah I take it back they look sweet in my bag! Working and spin and launch!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

These will be my next wedges when the SM7 get worn down, 54 /8 and 60/6 sounds like fun

Jim.....they spin so effing much.

Today I hit my 52deg from 138.....downwind and zipped it back 7-8’. This is not something I “know how to do”. Pretty impressive. I hit some nicer shots today inside of 100yds and saw a glimmer at the end of the tunnel. Becoming more and more receptive every time I play. I love the satin finish and love the sound and feel. (I’m not gonna lie, my custom stamping makes me chuckle every time I pull the from the bag.)

Kind of confused by the specs, some on ebay seem to show different then the website which I would think to be correct. I swore I saw a 54 /8 but the website says 54 / 10, would love the 54 /8 and they are very cheap for a forged wedge.

Anyone notice that these seem to have a sharper front edge than some of the others? My Vokeys or Calloways I had before these seem to have more of a rounded leading edge, not necessarily larger but not as sharp either. I don’t think it has impacted the playability of the clubs, just an observation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got out for 18 today. The more I get comfortable with these wedges, the more I am liking them. Hit a great shot from just inside 120 with the 52* that flew right over the pin and backed up a bit to leave me about 2 feet for birdie. Chipping continues to improve as well as the comfort improves. Planning to spend some time on the short game later this week as we get close to the event. Firestone should put these through a pretty good test as well.

Got out on the range yesterday and put these through the paces. They are so clean at address and they feel really good. Looking forward to playing with them at Firestone!

I wasn’t feeling them today. Hit a couple clipped ones that performed admirably but I’m having a hard time feeling the heads. Led to a couple thinned and fatted. May have to add some lead tape to them or more likely my swing was wonky. Will find out more tomorrow. I was cussing at them (under my breath of course) a little today but like I said it was most likely my swing.

One thing, they don’t lack the spin even from 20 yards out.

Anyone notice that these seem to have a sharper front edge than some of the others? My Vokeys or Calloways I had before these seem to have more of a rounded leading edge, not necessarily larger but not as sharp either. I don’t think it has impacted the playability of the clubs, just an observation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Definitely have a sharper front edge than the Callaways I was playing. It took me a little getting used to as I was digging in front of the ball a bit but now is getting better.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Back