Bryson DeChambeau playing rentals

Briton G

2023 Grandaddy X
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

Was watching this video today and found it interesting on how he was finding it very difficult playing with rental set, seeing how he plays OL and is probably one of the more equipment spefic tour players.

1st it shows how important fitting is or how bad rentals are... not sure which it solidifies more...

This video also brought up a random question not really relating to the video.. but with Callaway bringing a new high level golf ball to the table this year, would it influence your decision to switch to Callaway if a guy like Bryson switched to the CT Or the CTX. Would it peak your interest more?

What a goofy thumbnail.

Nothing Bryson or any other pro would do equipment wise would influence me in any way.

Watched the video. He could play an off the shelf driver no problem. lol The irons and wedges were getting him. He talked about the inconsistency of the what the shaft did vs what he expected. Also him calling it a short putter changes things as well. I think it was very interesting and really speaks to people needing to really understand what their equipment does for them. You don't have to nerd out but just buying wedges off the rack could be something that you should stop doing if you expect a very specific thing with them.

Nothing Bryson or any other pro would do equipment wise would influence me in any way.
Fair enough, I have a feeling this may be a popular answer

I think I'm going to start making some of the most outlandish thumbnails I can think of on my longer-form videos. Seems like it could be a fun experiment. HAHA

Watched the video. He could play an off the shelf driver no problem. lol The irons and wedges were getting him. He talked about the inconsistency of the what the shaft did vs what he expected. Also him calling it a short putter changes things as well. I think it was very interesting and really speaks to people needing to really understand what their equipment does for them. You don't have to nerd out but just buying wedges off the rack could be something that you should stop doing if you expect a very specific thing with them.
Yes I like that about this video it shows him breaking down why certain clubs arent going to work well for him

Haven't watched this yet but Bryson is always a pretty entertaining guy in his videos so I probably will at some point. I don't think what a pro plays would influence me fully, but I would find it cool that someone not under contract would choose certain equipment. I think it would be a huge win for Callaway as well if he moved to their ball

Pretty impressive that he can just go casually shoot E with a rental set. Yeah, I get these guys are insanely good - but that had to be a massive adjustment equipment-wise for him.

Pretty impressive that he can just go casually shoot E with a rental set. Yeah, I get these guys are insanely good - but that had to be a massive adjustment equipment-wise for him.

Exactly and for him he uses a system of how far back he takes it and he knows how far the ball will go.. that all changes with a rental set that is wrong lenght,loft, lie, shaft flex ...

especially a guy like Bryson with his unique swing and swing speed.

I'll have to give this a watch later. I've enjoyed some of the content that he's put out there lately.

Was watching this video today and found it interesting on how he was finding it very difficult playing with rental set, seeing how he plays OL and is probably one of the more equipment spefic tour players.

1st it shows how important fitting is or how bad rentals are... not sure which it solidifies more...

This video also brought up a random question not really relating to the video.. but with Callaway bringing a new high level golf ball to the table this year, would it influence your decision to switch to Callaway if a guy like Bryson switched to the CT Or the CTX. Would it peak your interest more?

I don’t know about rentals being bad. I played rentals at Mayakoba a few months back and thought they were pretty nice—Taylormade Stealth throughout the set. 😎

Impressive he can just shoot a casual par round with totally foreign clubs to his one-length set .

Shoot, my own clubs are hard enough to hit. Rental clubs are much much harder to hit. 🤪

I can see where a different set could throw him off, considering how customized his clubs are for him. Hell, I really struggle playing normal length clubs with standard size grips, and my setup is nowhere near as specialized as his is.

As for the ball - nah. Tour players' equipment choices don't influence me in the least, we're playing a completely different game.

Secondary thought.. Would Bryson switching to Callaway balls make other pros take a look?

I wish Callaway sold a mixed pack so we could find out which ball we like 🤙🏽

I agree for the most part. Though I do pay attention somewhat to the balls that they use. Mainly to know that it is probably not the ball for me.

Still, this was interesting to see a pro struggle with equipment. I know he shot par, but his equipment on that course: probably 8 strokes better

Bryson’s clubs are so far from standard that I could see him having a lot of trouble with rentals. He plays one length and his grips are massive. Even his arm lock putter is a unique setup for an armlock.

I would imagine a pro that plays with more traditional clubs could play with a decent set of rentals.

Unfortunately, I was only allowed to "like" this comment once. I couldn't agree more.

Completely unrelated:

I'm not really a LIV fan but, I want that freaking hat.........

I actually enjoyed watching that. Shows how important fittings are.

What he plays doesn’t really influence my buying decisions. I do however like watching his videos at times. He did one with Garrett on gm golf I believe where he talked about how and why he hit different shots. Those videos allows a person to become more familiar with them and learn more about everyday personalities

He didn't have a problem with the driver or the fairway wood, he smashed them both. I have the same irons he played and I laughed hard when he was talking about how hot they were around the greens. Those Mavriks are all but useless for bump and run and finesse shots. I'm either grabbing my 50 or 56 when I am around the green.

What he plays doesn’t really influence my buying decisions. I do however like watching his videos at times. He did one with Garrett on gm golf I believe where he talked about how and why he hit different shots. Those videos allows a person to become more familiar with them and learn more about everyday personalities
Ya I like that he does YouTube now, gives more of a background to someone that plays at the top level

Back