Bump and run/ High HDCP

50wyldeman

Reaction score
Handicap
25.6 GHIN
I am a high handicap player and right now around the greens has been killing me, I recently have decided from about 80 yards and in everything is a bump and run with an unconventional club as it were.
I am finally taking the time to work on pitch shots at the course and developing a better feel for it close in, but still plan on staying with bump and run from 20 to 80 yards out.

How much am I hurting my game in your opinions? For me it is a huge lack of confidence, almost to the point where I absolutely expect to fail if trying a traditional shot. I am sure in time this will change but hearing your input may help me force the next step of improvement .
Thanks!

I have problems with in between wedge shots at times as well so I usually just use a choked down pitching wedge on those shots if my game is failing early on.

I am a high handicap player and right now around the greens has been killing me, I recently have decided from about 80 yards and in everything is a bump and run with an unconventional club as it were.
I am finally taking the time to work on pitch shots at the course and developing a better feel for it close in, but still plan on staying with bump and run from 20 to 80 yards out.

How much am I hurting my game in your opinions? For me it is a huge lack of confidence, almost to the point where I absolutely expect to fail if trying a traditional shot. I am sure in time this will change but hearing your input may help me force the next step of improvement .
Thanks!

Why not manage your game so you don't have so many of those shots. Laying up to a full shot distance is something most better golfers prefer. Just a thought.

by all means use the shot you have the most confidence in.

Play whatever shot you're happy with, enjoying it and scoring better isn't hurting your game.
I've played with guys who never get the ball more than 30 feet off the deck and they're maintaining sub 18 handicaps.

Work on the one that's not doing it for you but while you're getting it together, game whatever works.

There is no right way to get the ball to the hole, high, low or otherwise. Play to your strengths. Laying up to a number that is best for you is where you should begin. I'd also try to get hooked up with a PGA Teaching Pro in your area to work on your short game.

Most pros will suggest to get the ball rolling as soon as possible around the green, yet I can't imagine hitting a bump and run from 80 yards....

You're leaving a handful of strokes out there (everyone does) by not having a variety of shots in your arsenal to play around the green, and I like the suggestion of a short game or playing lesson. I've never had one of these myself, and I can't consistently play different shots around the green either.

A similar question came up for me at a playing lesson. My pro expressed a strong preference for hitting a lofted shot from these distances. Obviously, the feedback about comfort and skill level still matter too, so maybe this is a skill we work on in practice and try on the course when we are ready.

Do whatever type of shot makes you feel the most confident. I bump and run a lot of small pitches around the green all the time, it's more accurate and I never will "duff" a shot like that vs. hitting with my wedge.

Do whatever type of shot makes you feel the most confident. I bump and run a lot of small pitches around the green all the time, it's more accurate and I never will "duff" a shot like that vs. hitting with my wedge.
I agree with your whole post, but do you play bump-and-run shots from 80 yards?

I think the difference here is the distance - 80 yards is quite a bit different than around the green.

I agree with your whole post, but do you play bump-and-run shots from 80 yards?
I do. For me it is easier to hit a 3/4 punch shot on line than a full swing with a lob wedge. I will hit a punch shot that I expect to run a little any time I am inside 120 yards. Have a stock punch yardage for every club from lob wedge to 7 iron.

I do. For me it is easier to hit a 3/4 punch shot on line than a full swing with a lob wedge. I will hit a punch shot that I expect to run a little any time I am inside 120 yards. Have a stock punch yardage for every club from lob wedge to 7 iron.
I assume the bolded is key to making this work? For me, I just feel like there would be too many situations where this type of shot (a bump-and-run shot from 80 yards) would bring more trouble in to play (bunkers, a creek, inconsistent grass, etc.).

I do think it's a valuable shot to have in your arsenal when there are no obstructions between your ball and the green.

Thanks!

When I was getting back into golf I was having a lot of trouble around the green as it seems you are. One of the best things that has been said already is that there is no real "right way" to move your ball along the course. For the time being, if a bump and run type shot makes you comfortable then use it. But, in the longer term you are going to be at a huge disadvantage if you can't hit a pitch shot with some confidence. Personally, I have never been very comfortable with bump and run shots and so I really only focus on pitching since there are times when bump and run isn't an option, such as when you need to go over a bunker. Your signature suggests that your highest lofted club is your pitching wedge, probably 44 or 45 degree, and a total of 11 clubs. You might want to consider picking up a sand wedge, 56 degree is pretty traditional and with a medium bounce around 10 degrees you might find making those shorter touch pitches a bit easier. You'll also have a good tool for extracting yourself from bunkers.

I assume the bolded is key to making this work? For me, I just feel like there would be too many situations where this type of shot (a bump-and-run shot from 80 yards) would bring more trouble in to play (bunkers, a creek, inconsistent grass, etc.).

I do think it's a valuable shot to have in your arsenal when there are no obstructions between your ball and the green.
Definitely have to know your yardages, but you can figure that out on the range. May have to play a few holes trying different yardages to know how far the runout will be for each club. If you have trouble in front you definitely have to know your carry yardage, which you can figure out on the range. Little things like slope, false fronts, rough will alter your runout, and that is just a matter of trying it until you get it right. Which is where I am still at times. But it still gives me a smaller miss than a full swing.

A few public courses that I play frequently have very little trouble around the green so I became very good at the bump-and-run shot,
Lots of 1 putts for me. When I've played better/tougher courses with mean rough, elevation changes and sand my scores go up when
I have to play more of the traditional short game.

The first thing you need to do is fix the mental aspect of your short game. If you expect to fail, you will. Beyond that, I suggest taking something like a 7-iron and treating it just like a putt. Thats what works for me.

Tons of good input here guys thank you all very much.

I contacted a local pro 2 weeks ago to begin lessons with her, we have had to wait out some unseasonably poor weather but will beginning lessons hopefully this week.

I use a 9 iron the way you are describing around the greens badger it works very well for me.
Farther out it gets dicey generally it will be the 9 or even 7 iron when it gets beyond 50 yard it is always my 7wood (I call it my utility club) for now this is working somewhat okay BUT it will be one of the things I ask for help with first at my lessons.

Mentally I have always lacked any sort of confidence on or away from the course, it is one of the things I believe this game is going to help me overcome

Back