Calabash, NC Area Recommendations

bull0120

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

I'm heading down to Myrtle Beach on Friday and am looking forward to getting some golf in. Recently, a long lost friend of mine reached out to see what I've been up to and he is now living in Wilmington. We are planning on meeting up Saturday and/or Sunday to play two rounds and catch up (a lot has happened in 3 years lol). This area is right in the middle for us. My questions are:

1. Has anyone played the Big Cats courses recently? If so, what type of shape are they in? We are leaning towards those because we have never played them and the price doesn't look too bad.

2. Is there any other courses you would recommend as a can't miss in that area? I've played Crow Creek and really enjoyed it and it seems like there are some great courses up there.

The weekend will be full with us catching up, but I'm going to be in Myrtle Beach from 05.06.2022-05.13.2022... If anyone is down there or lives in the area and looking for someone to play with let me know! I plan on playing 3-4 times while I'm down there. I'll be solo for the week, so I can play anytime.

I feel like @Canadan can help on this.

Crow Creek is the one that comes to mind. It's been a long time for me, but I remember Sandpiper Bay was a good layout.

Crow Creek is always in excellent shape, but I haven't been in a couple years.
River's Edge is one of my favorite courses in the entire region. Palmer course built into the marsh basically, and worth your time.
Going a bit north, Carolina National is a really popular spot, but their course quality seemed to have regressed a handful of years ago.

I do like most of the Cat courses - their layouts are fun and they seem pretty well maintained.

I have only played Thistle some years ago and it was a fun course its a links style course.

If you really want a treat, play Bald Head Island.

In Calabash, Ella’s for seafood, Calabash Creamery for ice cream.

That's why I love this place!

Maybe I should try to talk him into 36 on Saturday with 18 on Sunday lol. Every recommendation is looking amazing. Weather is looking awesome too.

Thistle is great! Highly recommend. How long will you be in town? This weekend being Mother’s Day makes it tough on me to get out.

Thistle is great! Highly recommend. How long will you be in town? This weekend being Mother’s Day makes it tough on me to get out.

I'm will be there 05.06.2022-05.13.2022, so this Friday-next Friday. I've got no plans other than golf, chillin on the beach, and eating way too much lol. If you want to get out and play a round during that time, just let me know and we'll hit it!

Don’t forget the PGA Superstore. Leave your wallet in the car.

Don’t forget the PGA Superstore. Leave your wallet in the car.

Doesn't do me any good these days. Google Pay cut right through the safety net.

I would NOT play any of the Big Cats courses. They have fallen into disrepair with weeds in the fairways, badly maintained bunkers, and bumpy greens. The home owners around the courses are very upset that their property values are going down because of the course conditions.

A very nice course in that area is Crow Creek. You would be much happier there.

Thistle is a great course. Little bit higher end, rate in the 80’s. 3 nines, pretty tough.

Possum Trot, Bay Tree, and Cane Patch (par 3) were my favorites. But sadly I think they’re subdivisions now.

I could play that little par 3 all night. What a blast.

Back