Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Driver Preview

It is interesting reading the thread a while after something's been out. Almost everyone has switched to Epic in their WITB :)

What are people's thoughts on this driver today? Does it in the heavy configuration offer the improved control that is advertised? I'm using a 915 D2 now, but am not opposed to change if it improved my game. Driver is by far the most important club in the bag for my scoring.

Dave

I have used this club all year. Shaft is 1 inch short. I have had great success with it, more fairways hit. It is forgiving. I have had bad days, but for the most part they are few and far between..
It is interesting reading the thread a while after something's been out. Almost everyone has switched to Epic in their WITB :)

What are people's thoughts on this driver today? Does it in the heavy configuration offer the improved control that is advertised? I'm using a 915 D2 now, but am not opposed to change if it improved my game. Driver is by far the most important club in the bag for my scoring.

Dave

Dave

The entire Fusion line is really solid. It was obviously overshadowed by the Epic line, but it more than holds its own. could probably be found for a song right now too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The entire Fusion line is really solid. It was obviously overshadowed by the Epic line, but it more than holds its own. could probably be found for a song right now too.

Thanks! Given the Epic at CPO is only $100 more w/ coupon code I think that's probably a better answer. I plan to think about it and decide when the Black Friday deals are going on.

Dave

I had a chance to try the Fusion out on the course against my gamer 2015/16 GBB. I play R flex shafts and the stock Recoil was unplayable for me. Big sweeping hooks.
I put my gamer shaft in (T800 5.5) it and it definitely helped but hitting both clubs back to back in the same loft setting the GBB on Avg was about 5yds longer.

Also given the head shape of the Fusion I found it difficult to lineup at address.

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Driver Preview

I had a chance to try the Fusion out on the course against my gamer 2015/16 GBB. I play R flex shafts and the stock Recoil was unplayable for me. Big sweeping hooks.
I put my gamer shaft in (T800 5.5) it and it definitely helped but hitting both clubs back to back in the same loft setting the GBB on Avg was about 5yds longer.

Also given the head shape of the Fusion I found it difficult to lineup at address.

I didn’t really get along with the recoil shafts either both the 40 and 50 gram shafts, I tried the Project X LZ 50 gram it was a bit better and the Kuro Kage Black TINI 50 gram all at 44.5” was about the same. Then I tried something completely different I went to a 70 gram Aldila Rogue Silver at 45.5” with the heavy 12 gram weight and it feels and performs great finally finding fairways and at a decent length.

Last edited:
Just went back to this driver from my Epic. Been having a driving issues lately so threw the Fusion back in the bag and fairways again.

So who is still playing the Fusion ? My game has really come around since I put the Cleveland Cbx irons but my lack of consistent play off the Tee is holding me back from even more improvement . I really need to hit more fairways and cut down on penalty strokes due to wayward drives . I ordered a Fission from CPO
. Just wondering If I am going to give up a bunch of distance over my Epic ? Any thoughts on this?
Thanks Gb

So who is still playing the Fusion ? My game has really come around since I put the Cleveland Cbx irons but my lack of consistent play off the Tee is holding me back from even more improvement . I really need to hit more fairways and cut down on penalty strokes due to wayward drives . I ordered a Fission from CPO
. Just wondering If I am going to give up a bunch of distance over my Epic ? Any thoughts on this?
Thanks Gb

When I tested one out on a sim, I didn't find distance to be lacking, consistently outdriving the other driver that I put it up against (one with a big stripe down the middle of the head). Low and Back CG remains a unicorn design, like the Cobra KING LTD.

Thanks Gb

With the same shaft at the same length, you won’t see much difference in length. Some sites with lots of data points show very, very similar average ball speeds between Fusion and Epic. There’s maybe 0.5 to 0.8 MPH ball speed difference between them. Jailbreak helps Epic on non-center hits and slightly higher MOI helps Fusion. It is a wash. Fusion launches slightly higher.

Pick the one that your eye and brain prefer. I personally like the audible feedback proved by the Fusion better. There is a very different sound between one hit in the middle versus a lateral miss with the Fusion. With Epic, hits sound more similar. I personally like knowing where I hit it without having to look.

I didn’t hit an Epic or a Rogue further than my Fusion. I did hit the G400 further. My problem was hooking it. I play a draw and when my swing was off I just hooked the fire out of it. If your miss is a slice I think the Fusion would do wonders for you. The Rogue head is basically the Fusion with Jailbreak imo.

My dad plays the Fusion and he's soon to have another lower lofted head for it. He didn't get along with the super lightweight recoil shaft that it came with and replaced it with a HZRDUS t800 shaft. He's 62 and swings around 90-95 mph. His miss is a balloon slice with it, but that's on him not the club. There are days he's not very flexible and he just doesn't get through the ball. The (now-retired) pro that sold it to him must fully buy into the loft up phenomenon, he sold him a 12* head. He's hoping that the 9* Head thats incoming will turn those high slices into low wind cutting fades. Hope springs eternal for us hackers!

*He'll probably set the 9* Head at 10*, huge difference from the 11* he has the 12* head set at, lol.

Thanks Gb

I played both the Epic and Fusion last year. I don't think you'll give up a bunch of distance - I found the Fusion to be just as long as the Epic, but I had to play with loft a little bit. The Fusion was very low spinning for me, and I had to up the loft a little bit to improve my carry distance. I played the 10.5 in the +1 setting, and also used the T800 shaft. Once I got that figured out, it was as long as anything for me.

I played the Fusion until just recently when I got fitted for the G400 driver. It is a great, underrated driver. I like that driver alot and for me it was better (longer and more consistent) then the Epic or Rogue ones I owned and tried.

My dad plays the Fusion and he's soon to have another lower lofted head for it. He didn't get along with the super lightweight recoil shaft that it came with and replaced it with a HZRDUS t800 shaft. He's 62 and swings around 90-95 mph. His miss is a balloon slice with it, but that's on him not the club. There are days he's not very flexible and he just doesn't get through the ball. The (now-retired) pro that sold it to him must fully buy into the loft up phenomenon, he sold him a 12* head. He's hoping that the 9* Head thats incoming will turn those high slices into low wind cutting fades. Hope springs eternal for us hackers!

*He'll probably set the 9* Head at 10*, huge difference from the 11* he has the 12* head set at, lol.

I previously hit the 10.5 with a regular recoil shaft and had the high slice with it if I went after it hard . I ordered the 9* with a stiff recoil might work better don't care to much for the recoil seems solf with to much torque , if that doesn't work I have a stiff Aldila rogue Max to try in it. gb

Thanks Gb

I hit the Rogue Draw back to back with the Fusion and gained nothing. I play a Hzrdus Yellow in my Fusion and hit the Rogue Draw with the Hand crafted version of the Hzrdus Yellow and was no better

Back