Callaway Epic Flash Shaft Question

E Lee

Reaction score
Handicap
After ten years, I finally moved on from my trusted R7. I was hitting it about 250 yards, using a stiff shaft and a swing speed around 95 (spin rates in the 2500 range good launch angle). I was fit into an Epic Flash, project x evenflow green regular shaft. My launch angle on the flash was good, but my spin numbers were consistently in the 1400 range, hence the decision to go with a regular flex. The distance on the monitor looked good, with carry around 240. The problem is on the course and outside. The club just feels too whippy for me, and I don’t feel like I have control of the club head. It’s relatively straight, which I like. But I can’t seem to hit solid shots, so a good drive for me seems to go 220-230 (feels like it should go farther). Misses are all over the place...some low, some pushed right, some left. Kinda feels like I’m hitting it high off the face at times.
I’ll hit any flex if I can hit it well. But i feel like a stiff shaft will help me here. I swapped out a stiff shaft yesterday on the course and I was back to hitting it 250+ (missed were low or left).
Any advice on shafts I should try? Again, the reason I was put into the evenflow greeen regular was because my spin numbers were so low. Any shafts that can help increase spin? Or does it even matter?

If this helps, I hit my 8 iron 160 using the new big Bertha irons (Which I love).

What kind of spin numbers were you getting when you were fit into the regular flex? 1400? Or, was that a stiff or something?

Most shafts I was trying were in the 1400 Range or lower. I think the regular I was fit into may have been the highest spin rates at 1400 with the best dispersion...at least on the indoor monitor.

I assume when you mention you got the regular flex that you were fitted into the 5.5 flex which I believe translates to regular flex. My average swing speed is similar to your and I was fit into the same Evenflo Green 55 gram shaft but in 6.0 flex and I find the shaft couldn’t be better. I don’t find it whippy but also not overly stiff. With a smooth tempo I have hit some if not my longest ever drives and dispersion is excellent. Maybe you need to see if the 6.0 flex would be better suited.

Have you gone back to your fitter to possibly recheck the numbers? Were your numbers checked first using your old driver for comparison?

Shaft isn't going to wildly change your spin numbers - I'd almost think you'd have to look at a different head, or go up in loft. Shaft should be for fine-tuning in terms of launch conditions and improving consistency of strike. For me, I don't see a ton of difference in the same shaft/weight at different flexes.

Maybe a heavier shaft with a low bend point? Something like the EF max carry that's meant to spin and launch? What was the shaft weight on the previous driver?

Hitting it high on the face will drastically reduce spin.

I have a hard time thinking any fitter even in a bog box store would consciously fit you in a driver you're seeing 1400 spin with at your club speed. That's crazy to me.

Are you sure you were hitting it center face when getting those low spin numbers?

FWIW when I was fit by the Callaway fitters they fixed low spin by increasing loft 1*, not changing shaft flex. (My SS is 92-95). I am in the SZ with Stiff Smoke shaft and the cog set at +1/D

I went back to the store to recheck numbers. It’s possible I’m teeing it too low...when I tee it low the spin numbers increase. But I felt more in control with the stiff vs. regular shafts, and the monitor seems to confirm hat. any thoughts on the Tensei blue in stiff va the evenflow in the same? Especially given sub 2000 spin rates?

also, I was thinking about adjusting the loft slightly higher. On the Callaway, does doing that promote more of a draw? I already draw the ball, so im wary of going even more left.

I went back to the store to recheck numbers. It’s possible I’m teeing it too low...when I tee it low the spin numbers increase. But I felt more in control with the stiff vs. regular shafts, and the monitor seems to confirm hat. any thoughts on the Tensei blue in stiff va the evenflow in the same? Especially given sub 2000 spin rates?

also, I was thinking about adjusting the loft slightly higher. On the Callaway, does doing that promote more of a draw? I already draw the ball, so im wary of going even more left.
In theory, it may. Since raising the loft closes the face, you might notice a bit more draw. But, if you are one that hovers the club when taking your grip, it may be a non issue.

If you're looking at raising the spin (which I personally think you should), the most effective way is going to be loft.

Back