Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers

Ok this is getting scary. 11/13 FIR today. The shaft I've had in it the past 3 rounds is the RCH 65 stiff from when I had a Big Bertha B21 a few years ago. It doesn't make sense but it's working.
I liked the RCH shaft when I played the B21 Driver. Happy that it’s working for you.

Ai Smoke had a bit of a slow start today but came alive as the round went on. Reached a par 5 in 2 that I’ve never reached before (2nd shot was also good which helped) and had 2 birdies on the back.

Had a shot on 16 that would be generous to call off the toe. I almost missed the ball. But the result was a draw that still went pretty far

Loving this driver so far

Ai Smoke had a bit of a slow start today but came alive as the round went on. Reached a par 5 in 2 that I’ve never reached before (2nd shot was also good which helped) and had 2 birdies on the back.

Had a shot on 16 that would be generous to call off the toe. I almost missed the ball. But the result was a draw that still went pretty far

It is such a good driver. I’m happy it’s in the bag this season.

So yesterday had a serious slicing problem at GH but today driving was much improved. Was averaging 280 from the tee. Not my usual average but much closer to the 290 I was getting use to over the last month or more. Plus most were in good playable places except a few that had some bad kicks. I may adjust the weight a bit since I’ve had such a consistent fade I may want to bring that back over just a little then again if not really broken not sure I want to mess with it too much.

Having played with you in the past, and heard your disdain for most of the drivers you've put in your bag it's saying something that you're finding success here.

Kind of crazy that you've gone from "maybe I'll get a mini driver" to the confidence to stand over this one and let it go.

Having played with you in the past, and heard your disdain for most of the drivers you've put in your bag it's saying something that you're finding success here.

Kind of crazy that you've gone from "maybe I'll get a mini driver" to the confidence to stand over this one and let it go.
The forgiveness is there. A really bad swing is still going to be bad, but the just ok swings are providing better results which is giant

The forgiveness is there. A really bad swing is still going to be bad, but the just ok swings are providing better results which is giant
The confidence that this club generates is real. I’m hitting the ball further and I’m not missing high short and right.

Well, there's only so much even this driver can do...

Of all the days to forget my X5 watch at home. I don’t think I’ve ever had a driving day like today. FIR was at 39% overall and probably higher with driver. The distance and ball flight I was seeing gave me all the happy feelings. Another round of confidence building.

Ball flight was high and straight. I didn’t try to shape it today and elected to just hit it over the trees. Distance was silly. I lost 2 balls off the tee with driver. The drives went too far for the lines I played. Without my shot tracking I’m guessing but I think today’s PAvg would have beaten any of my past performances.

It’s just one day but it’s another round that my Ai Smoke Max added to the confidence I already had with it. That’s definitely a recurring theme. And it’s something I expect will continue to build.

Last edited:
First outdoor golf of the year yesterday, with some surprising drives, and a lot of surprisingly poor swings lol.

To be fair, the course played is my nemesis course. It should be easy enough to navigate with decently placed drives, but it is a gimmicky course that penalizes you greatly with a bad ball.

I had three drives that put me into positions to attack pins, that I had never been in before. When finding the face, I was rewarded with drives that were reasonably straight, with shocking distance (for me). The caveat though? Finding the face was my problem yesterday, with swing changes, and still adjusting grip technique. I put multiple balls off the head so far high-toe that I worry for the long term durability of the toe of my driver.

Small steps for me this morning, hoping next time out I can find the face and my swing with more consistency. I want to hear the sound that comes from a well struck drive, and didn't hear one at all yesterday (and that is all on me). Sustained progress is the goal early in the season. Keep putting in the work and a positive attitude, and hopefully the results start to appear.

First outdoor golf of the year yesterday, with some surprising drives, and a lot of surprisingly poor swings lol.

To be fair, the course played is my nemesis course. It should be easy enough to navigate with decently placed drives, but it is a gimmicky course that penalizes you greatly with a bad ball.

I had three drives that put me into positions to attack pins, that I had never been in before. When finding the face, I was rewarded with drives that were reasonably straight, with shocking distance (for me). The caveat though? Finding the face was my problem yesterday, with swing changes, and still adjusting grip technique. I put multiple balls off the head so far high-toe that I worry for the long term durability of the toe of my driver.

Small steps for me this morning, hoping next time out I can find the face and my swing with more consistency. I want to hear the sound that comes from a well struck drive, and didn't hear one at all yesterday (and that is all on me). Sustained progress is the goal early in the season. Keep putting in the work and a positive attitude, and hopefully the results start to appear.
You got this sir!!

For those who have the Ai Smoke Max D you will enjoy hitting this club as I did start the season well just 4 rounds with it as it is easy to hit. I wanted to go back to Oban Kiyoshi shafts and PING was one driver that will list it with there G430 MAX 10K so since I do have PING BP S irons I thought its time to make a change as I just couldn't get along with the feel as much with the aftermarket Fuji Speeder NX Blue as I thought I would. I even had the Paradym X driver with that shaft and I just thought maybe the Ai Smoke Max D would make a big difference, almost identical in numbers as 1 year to the next isn't a big jump at all in performance. I do plan on keeping my Ai Smoke Max D 3W as very easy to hit off the fairway and decent distance as that might contribute to the GD AD CQ shaft I have in it.

Got on the SIM last night and the gains distance wise from the Ai Smoke Max is incredible! Launch is in the optimal range and I seem to be settling in with the LinQ M40X Blue shaft. Ball flight is strange as I am seeing a flight pattern I am not used to. This can’t be real as I’ve always played a fade and now I’m seeing a draw. 😁

Thats what you want either dead straight or a baby draw as the Max D helps a lot with that draw as I never tried the Max but with the sliding rear weight that should really help your ball flight. Glad you are liking the LinQ shaft as I had one with a Cobra RadSpeed. It's always nice to find a shaft that really matches your swing as all of the drivers for 2024 really are so close in numbers that it all depends what you think looks the best

Got on the SIM last night and the gains distance wise from the Ai Smoke Max is incredible! Launch is in the optimal range and I seem to be settling in with the LinQ M40X Blue shaft. Ball flight is strange as I am seeing a flight pattern I am not used to. This can’t be real as I’ve always played a fade and now I’m seeing a draw. 😁
Been doing swing work that's caused it you think?

Interestingly, I'm actually going to swap back to a 9 degree in the Triple Diamond. That's a big drive in soft conditions though.

I have played some form of a fade for decades. I'm seeing a draw with the Max D.

Been doing swing work that's caused it you think?
A little of both...but I even have the slider weight set to Fade and it rarely goes right unless I leave the face drastically open. I was seeing a lot of Out to In swing path's yesterday and the ball was drawing.

A little of both...but I even have the slider weight set to Fade and it rarely goes right unless I leave the face drastically open. I was seeing a lot of Out to In swing path's yesterday and the ball was drawing.
That's got to be an awesome feeling then, eliminating that side of the fairway.

That's got to be an awesome feeling then, eliminating that side of the fairway.
It is and bringing in new looks from courses I have played on the last few years. :ROFLMAO: I have league tomorrow and looking forward to getting back to seeing results on course.

Interestingly, I'm actually going to swap back to a 9 degree in the Triple Diamond. That's a big drive in soft conditions though.

Wow that's awesome. Soft conditions... as in the fairways/greens?

What software drew the flight path/trajectory?

Wow that's awesome. Soft conditions... as in the fairways/greens?

What software drew the flight path/trajectory?
Yeah we get rain about 2 inches at a time. Lol. And had the night before.

Just a shot tracer app. The original one really. I've been grandfathered in on that one for years because I had it way back in beta.

Haven't played a 9* anything in a bit but haven't really been playing a TR Blue much either but it seems like it just works well together.

Yeah we get rain about 2 inches at a time. Lol. And had the night before.

Just a shot tracer app. The original one really. I've been grandfathered in on that one for years because I had it way back in beta.

Haven't played a 9* anything in a bit but haven't really been playing a TR Blue much either but it seems like it just works well together.
In what way does the TR Blue feel deferent? Do you see that in the results on course?

Looking at that video if the trajectory is properly represented by the tracer app I find it interesting that you want to go down in loft. It didn't seem like the trajectory was excessively high to me, but I guess we are all used to different looks. (y)

I have played some form of a fade for decades. I'm seeing a draw with the Max D.
I wanted to add one additional thing. I normally play midsize grips in my clubs. I was fit into those years ago, For the Max D Driver and Fairways, I decided to try the Standard grips. I think it’s making a difference as I can feel and release the clubhead much better than I did previously.

Back