Callaway Scoring System for Casual Scramble Tournament?

RealPretendPsychic

Ask me about the Callaway Apex CB’s!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Has anyone ever played in a scramble using the Callaway scoring system to handicap the round? I am helping with a scramble for my wife’s coworkers and it is super casual as in there will be many players who don’t even know what a handicap is. I haven’t gauged the host’s thoughts on this yet, but what are your thoughts on the Callaway scoring system in a scenario like this?
36DCE553-84C0-4A30-A21E-F9E2B80304A2.jpeg

Never done it. Read the rules twice and still have no idea what they mean.
Maybe this website does a better job explaining it. My understanding is it’s basically a one-round handicapping system for tournaments like this where many participants don’t have handicaps.

this is niot meant in any negative way at all. But super casual and many dont even know what a handicap is? Sounds like its just a fun thing and not serious at all so why not just leave it as outright scramble and let the cards fall where they fall? just suggesting. Might be over managing something unnecessarily here. No?

this is niot meant in any negative way at all. But super casual and many dont even know what a handicap is? Sounds like its just a fun thing and not serious at all so why not just leave it as outright scramble and let the cards fall where they fall? just suggesting. Might be over managing something unnecessarily here. No?
That’s a fair assessment. I was thinking more to keep everyone engaged, but if they’re overpaying for an 8am shotgun start they’re probably having enough fun as it is.

I played in the Yukon Championships this summer and we used this system. It’s the first and only time I’ve seen it used.

I really liked it because it allowed everyone to play on even ground, and because we combined courses, not everyone had certified handicaps.

It definitely helped some players more than others. I think the winning net score was someone who posted two rounds at over 100.

Scoring was simple enough to calculate since the field wasn’t enormous, but I also suspect it wouldn’t be too onerous with more players if you have someone who understands the system and has a calculator.

I’d 100% play in a Callaway scoring system event again.

The website made it all make sense. Don't know whether the non-golfers would feel as engaged with a scoring system that might look like a black box to them. But then, I don't know of anything better.

Has anyone ever played in a scramble using the Callaway scoring system to handicap the round? I am helping with a scramble for my wife’s coworkers and it is super casual as in there will be many players who don’t even know what a handicap is. I haven’t gauged the host’s thoughts on this yet, but what are your thoughts on the Callaway scoring system in a scenario like this?
While Callaway systems work well for individual golfers scores, it is not the best for team scrambles because typically there will be quite a few birdies and pars meaning that the final scores will be under par, e.g. -6, -9, etc. In Callaway scoring, anything at par or better will not have a handicap, so in effect everyone will end up playing scratch.

A better handicap system to use for scrambles would be the System 36 system:

Or the Bankers or Peoria system:

I personally would go with the Peoria system, ask the pro shop to select the 6 secret holes. Good luck!

Never played a tournament/scramble with either systems described, without deep diving beyond the first post, I was lost trying to understand what was going on. Good luck with whatever you select.

Never heard of it and it makes my head hurt to try to make sense of the math.:ROFLMAO: but to post scores of 100+ and WIN? Sign me up!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Well we’ve decided not to overcomplicate things and just do gross score, but I think the system has merit for casual tournaments.

Back