Callaway UW vs Cleveland HyWood

Twists

Reaction score
Has anyone tried both and could provide some input?

It seems that the HyWood is more of a high-launching / high-spinning option, that - despite 18° - may be comparable to a 7 wood in distance, while the 17° UW seems to be a low-launching, low-spin option, that could go more towards a 3 or 4 wood.

Can anyone confirm that observation? Would be funny to play an 18° Hywood, a 5-Wood and a 17° UW, three clubs all having very similar loft, but gapping and playing different spin and launch...

UW actually isn't low/low at all, nor is it designed to be. Thats a space the Callaway hybrids fill and this was set to be a bridge of the hybrid and high lofted fairway. Its easy launch, excellent speed, and really good spin levels for playability and workability.

For me, the Hy may have spun a touch more, but not much. And I hit some silly ball speeds for both at the 19* range.

Oh, I have read some reviews comparing the flight of the 17° to a driving iron?

Edit: And/Or compare it to a 3-wood in terms of distance, launch and spin?

Last edited:
I’m a huge proponent of the Hy-wood! @JB has done a head to head comparison of these two clubs.

I've hit both (I'm not @Jman swing speed) however for a lower Swing Speed I found the HY to be more forgiving and more reactive than the UW.
I'd even say they are designed for two different Golfers.

I have not hit both, but I can say that the HyWood is pretty much as "point and shoot" as you can get. It does launch high with a softer landing IME.

This hits right at a ponder I have going on right now.

Thanks OP for the thread!

I've definitely not seen that, and it really wasn't the design intent of the UW.

Check this article out:

Maybe let me ask differently. Would the 17° UW be an (easier, if shorter) option to replace a 3-wood (for a long-rolling second ball on a par 5, or off the tee)?

10.5° Driver - 17° UW - 17.5° 5W (turned down)? Intuitively, I would think the 17° UW with a shorter shaft should be shorter than my G425 5W, but that may not be the case?

Last edited:
It’s a substitute for my 5 wood pretty much. I rotate them in and out depending on the course. 5 wood has a bit more pop and roll but the Hywood is uber forgiving if I’m playing a course that may require longer approach shots. And it’s money for precision lay ups on short Par 4s and long Par 5s. Or tee shots for long Par 3s when I don’t want the roll out really. The Cypher shafts help a lot with that high ball flight too.

Is anyone playing the 17° Callaway UW?

Is anyone playing the 17° Callaway UW?
There is a lot of feedback in the UW thread.

It remains not a low launch low spin club though.

Back