Callaway X-18-are new irons much better?

MacTS

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi,

I am rather new to the game and have played since last summer. I bought a set from a friend at work this autumn and the irons were Callaway X-18. I can not say that I am not satisfied with the clubs...but I can´t seem to stop thinking about if a newer set of irons would help my game much? Of course I understand that the best way is to test as many clubs as possible, but the closest big shop which have great discounts on last years clubs is quite far away and I am not sure if it is worth the trip to test new clubs?

I am looking at max forgiveness (and distance) and I have had my eyes on Baffler XL and Altitudes. Other suggestions would be very helpful as well. I can´t justify the cost of this years clubs, so I am mainly interested in clubs maybe 1-3 years old.

Your story is exactly like mine. I purchased a used set of X-18's a couple of years ago when I started golfing. I live several hours away from a big shop, as well. Can anyone compare these irons to newer super improvement types?

No club is going to swing itself. As a beginner I think most of us got a set a few old to mitigate the cost of getting into this pricey game and finding out maybe it isnt as fun as it looks. As your swing begin to become more consitant you will find that you might need help in some aspect that a new club could ASSIST you in. My point is those X-18's are great clubs and if it were me I would use them with confidence. New gear will offer slighty more forgiveness and you have the abilty to have them fit to your swing and body type.

No club is going to swing itself. As a beginner I think most of us got a set a few old to mitigate the cost of getting into this pricey game and finding out maybe it isnt as fun as it looks. As your swing begin to become more consitant you will find that you might need help in some aspect that a new club could ASSIST you in. My point is those X-18's are great clubs and if it were me I would use them with confidence. New gear will offer slighty more forgiveness and you have the abilty to have them fit to your swing and body type.

I agree. I gamed the X18's and they are good clubs. I'd stick with what you have or maybe trade up a couple of years at Callaway Preowned if you like Callaway.

I gamed the X-18s then the X-24s before my current gamers (X2 Hot), and those X-18s are a really good set of irons. As far as tech improvements go, I believe the next big jump up in tech from your set is the thinner face and wider sweet spot on the X2-Hots (which from all reviews, has even been improved upon with the new XR irons).

I didn't find the X-24s to be all that different from the X-18s performance wise (except the X-24s were longer- but I think that was because the lofts were stronger) both had a bore thru uniflex shaft, the shaft tech in the newer offerings are vastly improved.

I hope this helps answer you question.

Dax

I'd play what you have for now, you'll know by the level of your play improving when it's time to upgrade. I spent the majority of my junior career playing X14's and with the right shaft I could still play them with minimal effect to my game.

Thanks for the input!

My first "real" irons were X20s and they did a great job for me. When I moved to Di11s I did see some forgiveness on miss hits and fat shots but those were issues related to my swing. Yours is probably very different, in any case the X18s are solid irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Callaway X-18-are new irons much better?

I played x-16s for a while. They were good clubs. I traded mine in since the shafts were too flexy for me. Your x-18s are around the same age as my current irons. Having the newest stuff is really fun, but I'm not sure it makes a huge difference in results, for me. Being able to dial in fitting on the new woods helps a lot tho, IMO.

Back