Can a brand new driver be a dud?

Daddio

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I did a comprehensive multiple brand driver fitting with an independent trackman fitter last week. The new release that came out on top was the same one I assumed would win out based upon doing a bunch of my own outdoor comparative testing over the last couple months. I ordered my driver to spec from my club and it finally came in today. Took it to an outdoor range and was utterly disappointed. I just didn't experience the same hot feel off the face, it basically felt dead. I just couldn't get it to respond. Has anyone experienced this with a brand new driver from a top OEM? I hope to compare it to the demos I'd been testing at my course tomorrow but were supposed to get a crap ton of rain. I'm sure they'll do whatever needs to be done to make me happy but I was also looking forward to launching some bombs with my new weapon in a tournament Monday.😢

Yep. I had that happen on a Big Bertha 815 Alpha. It turns out there was a hairline crack on the bottom side where the face and the body met. It was replaced and the new one was just like the demo club.

Yep. I had that happen on a Big Bertha 815 Alpha. It turns out there was a hairline crack on the bottom side where the face and the body met. It was replaced and the new one was just like the demo club.
Thanks wu. Gotta be something weird like that because I was hitting my other clubs to normal distances. I couldn't hit my old driver because my club took it in trade.

Yep. The demo 815 sounded like a bullet. The one I received sounded like a thump/dud. I was so bummed because I spend $399 (I think) on a driver that was 30 yards shorter than my R9. The replacement was the shizzle.

Yes it can. Things happen and I would let them know for sure.

I’ve wondered the same thing, but I’ve never experienced it.

Yea I’ve had that happen. Only not on clubs I bought. I’ve tried some Callaway that felt dead in the store and put them down quickly. Lol. Didn’t want to be accused of wrecking it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope it gets figured out for you!

I would try a different shaft (if possible) trying to eliminate all of the variables.

yes it can

Hopefully, they will give you a replacement, doesn't sound right to me that your demo would be better than a new club!

Good luck with your club. It shouldn’t be like that!

It certainly can happen. You'll probably have your answer real quick when you compare it to the demo clubs!

This happened to me with a Tour Edge. GeoMax 12* 2W a few decades ago. Darn thing sounded/felt like "mush" when I'd hit a ball with it. Distance was way short of expectations.

Called my TE supplier, who gave me info to send it back to TE.

Recieved a replacement a couple weeks later that played as expected. Never did find out what was wrong with the original one. I just assumed it was bad, weakened metal on the club face.

I agree with comparing side by side with the demo. That should tell you pretty quickly if there is an issue.

Sometimes a club will get through quality checks. My friend was getting fit this past week by the manager of the store and the crown came right off a driver. Very rarely happens but worth a call to the OEM.

Certainly it can be a dud, even in manufacturing that has good QOS things can happen.

I'd certainly go to the shop and do side by sides. QA issues do exist. When I custom order something, I have it sent to the golf store and I have it measured in store before I leave. I've not gone as far as demo it in store but this thread gave me that idea on my future orders.

These are manufactured products so there can certainly be some bad apples. I would definitely hit the demo and the new side by side on the range, then go from there. If you bought a custom fit brand new driver, you should be happy with it IMO. I imagine the OEM's know that things get through sometime and want to make sure every customer is happy.

Thanks for all your help THPers good to know it's something that does sometime happen. I should be able to get this all sorted out at the course pretty easily, I hope. Plan to call them in a bit and see who is working, if they foresee any little gaps in this all day rain up there, let them know what I saw when I hit it at that other range etc... The head pro games my head in a different loft and shaft, the assistant pro (who rang me up yesterday) plays my shaft in a different head of that same driver family. Unsure if either will come in today given the forecast but either could easily hit mine a couple times and see what they think too. My head and shaft are in the fitting cart and the first tee is literally 20 steps out the side door of the club house. I often see both of them launching shots from there across to the range even when they're working the counter. So I (we) should be able to compare pretty easily without getting totally drenched. They might even have my head in their new retail stock if my new one indeed proves to be a dud. If not I'm pretty sure I saw a new retail one at my other course (they're affiliated) when I was down there practicing yesterday. At worst, I hope I can at least get my old driver back for a tournament Monday while they sort it all out with the OEM for me.

Last edited:
anything can be a dud so yes

Happens with cars, could happen with clubs too! The dreaded "Friday afternoon at 4pm before a three day weekend club" .
Hope it gets sorted out for OP.

Fortunately haven't experienced it first hand but it can certainly happen.

All fixed up with the new driver I expected. Any golfers would've had to play it canoe path only today so the assistant pro and I had time to hit the demos and mine to compare.

Back