Can a driver be too adjustable

Brianbigoats

Reaction score
Handicap
After seeing the new JPX 900 driver i was wondering if anybody thought that the adjustments are getting out of hand a little adjustment is good but have some company's gone to far could it cause a back lash and people wanting glued nonadjustable drivers again?

For me, no, but I'm not a tinkerer. I'd rather have more opportunities for an experienced fitter to dial me. That said, I would probably prefer more shafts options on hand than an infinitely adjustable driver.

I like both ways. I like to tinker and give the fitter all the tools possible!

It might be my lack of feel, but I never notice a huge difference when messing with the adjustments on my clubs. Still, I don't think it can be "overly" adjustable.

as long as the adjustments don't affect feel, or sound or performance adversely, i say the bring 'em on! when could more options ever be a bad thing?

Have a TM R11S in play right now that I haven't touched since I bought it 5 years ago. Reason being for me, didn't know enough about my swing flaws for it to make a bit of difference and I figured if I learned how to hit it neutral, I would be good to go. Less change the better for me.

Have a TM R11S in play right now that I haven't touched since I bought it 5 years ago. Reason being for me, didn't know enough about my swing flaws for it to make a bit of difference and I figured if I learned how to hit it neutral, I would be good to go. Less change the better for me.
So for you less adjustable might work better ?

Can a woman be too pretty?

So for you less adjustable might work better ?

I would say that adjustments don't play a factor into whether or not I purchase a driver. Now if I we're going into a driver fitting, I think that adjustments would be beneficial for the fitter in trying to groove the club to my swing.

I don't believe so, provided you go and get fit to get the right settings, then leave the thing alone!

At some point there has to be an adverse effect. The aerodynamic qualities of the club can be affected by the notches, etc. Weight distribution by having screws everywhere can be affected as well.

I could be wrong but I think going simpler a manufacturer can make a more aerodynamic club that can still fit well a big segment.

At some point there has to be an adverse effect. The aerodynamic qualities of the club can be affected by the notches, etc. Weight distribution by having screws everywhere can be affected as well.

I could be wrong but I think going simpler a manufacturer can make a more aerodynamic club that can still fit well a big segment.
Do you think that we have hit that point in any of the newer releases ?

Do you think that we have hit that point in any of the newer releases ?

Maybe an insider who knows more about the industry can give a better answer. I'll make a note to ask Yagley in roughly a month a half ;)

But in my opinion to an extent yes. I think club designers have to be very careful. Check out Cobra's driver line. They offer 0 adjustability on one model and ramp up that aspect. The F6+ is in large part possible because of a special material in their rail system. This adjustability caused a different sound, and that's something that may turn off a few prospective customers.

Added adjustability comes with compromises.

Hope someone with more knowledge chimes in.

I have found that I don't need adjustable clubs. They are OK, but not a must have for me.

Back