Can I find more distance with new irons

Unless you're grossly overweight, strengthen your Latissimus Dorsi, and Triceps muscles. Spend time using a Roman Chair to enable lumbar facet function to optimize, then strengthen/tone lumbar paravertebral muscles by using roman chair with slight rotation.
Work with someone to either strengthen or elongate the hamstring muscles. Good luck.
I think the brand of irons you are using are a good choice.

Unless you're grossly overweight, strengthen your Latissimus Dorsi, and Triceps muscles. Spend time using a Roman Chair to enable lumbar facet function to optimize, then strengthen/tone lumbar paravertebral muscles by using roman chair with slight rotation.
Work with someone to either strengthen or elongate the hamstring muscles. Good luck.
I think the brand of irons you are using are a good choice.

Not overweight 6’ 200 lbs. I had a length illness 3.5 years ago and spent 6 months pretty much bedridden. I lost every bit of muscle tone and flexibility as well.

I haven’t done much with the Roman Chair but I will de in some of that when I am back in the gym. While home I will start adding in Supermans as I think that hits some of the same muscles. Definite issues with hamstring tightness.

Ok so the Corona has me a little stir crazy. I had been thinking about getting fit this spring and likely will when things open up again.

About me: 53 years old, 4 handicap. I was better about 10 years ago playing between 0-2 handicap. Back then I carried driver 250, 8 iron 150, 6i 175 and these were very comfortable distances. Driver SS was 105 and 6i was 92. Fast forward 10 years and I had a lengthy illness that has cost me SS. At the end of last season my driver SS was 93 and 6i 82. Driver carries about 215 and 6i 158.

I have been working in the gym all winter on flexibility, strength and admittedly somewhat inconsistent use of Superspeed due to travel and crappy weather. Right now not sure if I have picked up any speed or distance as I haven’t had the opportunity get out in a course in decent weather or on a simulator for extended time.

Current irons are Srixon 545s with XCaliber Pro 85 stiff flex. I also have some i200s with Steelfibers i95s.

I am intrigued by the new hollow body irons like the Epic Forged, Cobra Forged Tec and Ping i500. If I could pick up 1 club in length that would be awesome but I don’t think I am in a bad fit right now. If I could get that increase I would be willing to spring for new irons. I don’t want to go total distance as I do like being able to knock shots down. I don’t care as much about being able to bend shots.

I am interested in any thoughts or if I am pretty much maxed out given my SS.

I will definitely get fit but just some pondering due to being golf starved.
I'd love to see some recommendations. I'm 55 and just now starting to work on getting healthy, strong and more flexible. I've pretty much maintained my length despite back problems, but I do get "surprised" more often these days when an iron comes up short. I'm thinking any improvement in my flexibility will negate distance problems, but I'd sure be interested in some irons that might add just a bit more distance while not sacrificing feel and shot-making ability.

I currently play 2009 Callaway X-Forged irons (6-PW) and Callaway X-20 CB long irons (4 and 5 irons). Looking forward to what THPers may recommend here!

I'd love to see some recommendations. I'm 55 and just now starting to work on getting healthy, strong and more flexible. I've pretty much maintained my length despite back problems, but I do get "surprised" more often these days when an iron comes up short. I'm thinking any improvement in my flexibility will negate distance problems, but I'd sure be interested in some irons that might add just a bit more distance while not sacrificing feel and shot-making ability.

I currently play 2009 Callaway X-Forged irons (6-PW) and Callaway X-20 CB long irons (4 and 5 irons). Looking forward to what THPers may recommend here!

Those X-Forged aren’t nearly as forgiving as some of the newer irons. I would say the X20s are about as forgiving as newer players cavities. I think there are lots of things that would help your consistency.

Tag for interest

Tag for interest

Don't you think you can get more distance with the new irons over the last 4 yrs?

I once was gettiing 144 from a 7i iin 2015. Now I am getting up to 155-160 depending on weather. 8i is 145+ instead of 138. Part of it is iron, part better swing, but iron faces are thinner, lower lofted, yet launch higher with less spin - more carry/distance. Before this crisis, I was about to purchase a full set of Hot Metal Pro. Have the 4-5i and they are impressive.

Last edited:
I bet your swing speed gets faster soon with all the work you're putting in.

SS=focused practice=work. I am proof anyone can increase if they work at it. So far this year I have gone from high 80s with my driver to mid to high 90s. SS is not all of it though, for me it is having the speed at the right place through the swing.

I know I'd love to be able to get more distance from irons... even if it says 8 and is lofted as a 6.

I know I'd love to be able to get more distance from irons... even if it says 8 and is lofted as a 6.
I know what you mean. I recently bought a set of Mavrik MAX irons and they are jacked lofts (basically a full iron loft difference between my old set) so I have to think about the 6 iron is really my older 5 iron and not be deceived into thinking by some miracle I am hitting it further.

I bet your swing speed gets faster soon with all the work you're putting in.

I hope so. Just finished 20 minutes of core, 15 of yoga and a Superspeed session. I get low 110s with the red stick and 105+ with the blue. I am sure I don't swing that fast at a golf ball. I saw something about Bryson the other day and he does hour long range sessions when he swings driver as fast as he can while hitting balls. I think I will need to spend a little time trying to swing driver as fast as possible. I know I can't do an hour as that would hurt me.

Regarding new irons the Mav Pro has caught my eye. I don't want to go full GI as on the course I don't want to miss left and I want to be able to control trajectory. I will get fit and put myself in the hands of a fitter but those do look interesting and it sounds like people have been getting good results from them.

I hope so. Just finished 20 minutes of core, 15 of yoga and a Superspeed session. I get low 110s with the red stick and 105+ with the blue. I am sure I don't swing that fast at a golf ball. I saw something about Bryson the other day and he does hour long range sessions when he swings driver as fast as he can while hitting balls. I think I will need to spend a little time trying to swing driver as fast as possible. I know I can't do an hour as that would hurt me.

OMG, there's no way I'd do an hour on the Superspeed training. I'm older than you and just do the 5 swings level 3 days a week. Next day I'm sore. What's that like 65 swings total? I just started up again and can feel a difference already on the course, don't have a radar.

OMG, there's no way I'd do an hour on the Superspeed training. I'm older than you and just do the 5 swings level 3 days a week. Next day I'm sore. What's that like 65 swings total? I just started up again and can feel a difference already on the course, don't have a radar.

Bryson isn't doing the Superspeed program he is just swinging as fast as he can at a driver for an hour while hitting balls.

I am only on level 2 with the SS my use has been a little inconsistent before the Corona it was due to travel now it has been because of bad weather. I don't like to swing that fast when it is cold and we have had a ton of rain. Unfortunately I live in an old house with low ceilings including my garage.

I keep putting PXG 0211s in the shopping basket with the Mitsubishi MMT80s in stiff for $570. I know it would be stupid to buy them right now but I am so bored. If I wasn't married I would have them on the way already. My wife is working from home (and pays the bills) so there would be no way to hide them from her.

I keep putting PXG 0211s in the shopping basket with the Mitsubishi MMT80s in stiff for $570. I know it would be stupid to buy them right now but I am so bored. If I wasn't married I would have them on the way already. My wife is working from home (and pays the bills) so there would be no way to hide them from her.
That's one of the best deals in golf right now, but I do understand where you're coming from.

Ok so the Corona has me a little stir crazy. I had been thinking about getting fit this spring and likely will when things open up again.

About me: 53 years old, 4 handicap. I was better about 10 years ago playing between 0-2 handicap. Back then I carried driver 250, 8 iron 150, 6i 175 and these were very comfortable distances. Driver SS was 105 and 6i was 92. Fast forward 10 years and I had a lengthy illness that has cost me SS. At the end of last season my driver SS was 93 and 6i 82. Driver carries about 215 and 6i 158.

I have been working in the gym all winter on flexibility, strength and admittedly somewhat inconsistent use of Superspeed due to travel and crappy weather. Right now not sure if I have picked up any speed or distance as I haven’t had the opportunity get out in a course in decent weather or on a simulator for extended time.

Current irons are Srixon 545s with XCaliber Pro 85 stiff flex. I also have some i200s with Steelfibers i95s.

I am intrigued by the new hollow body irons like the Epic Forged, Cobra Forged Tec and Ping i500. If I could pick up 1 club in length that would be awesome but I don’t think I am in a bad fit right now. If I could get that increase I would be willing to spring for new irons. I don’t want to go total distance as I do like being able to knock shots down. I don’t care as much about being able to bend shots.

I am interested in any thoughts or if I am pretty much maxed out given my SS.

I will definitely get fit but just some pondering due to being golf starved.

With a good fitter you will gain some yards. I went for heavy iron shaft to i80 and made significant gains.

Back