Can we talk about my bag for a moment?

UCChris

Hack of the worst kind...
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help out a newbie golfer for a moment.

I've been seriously golfing for a month with my dad's old no name clubs and I recently decided I was playing well enough to warrant a club upgrade. So I started compiling a bag and I need help deciding what else I need to fill out my 14 club limit.

Current bag:

Callaway X2 Hot driver
Adam Blue 3 & 4 hybrids
Adam Blue 5-9, PW irons
Tour Edge HP-02 putter

This puts me at ten clubs. I'm thinking I need a fairway wood (not sure if I need a 3 or 5 wood?), an Odyssey X-ACT chipper, and I'm going to get a Cleveland RTX-3 60° wedge.

My question is which fairway wood should I get? And I have one more club spot open. What should I fill it with?

Get a Callaway heavenwood. It's basically a seven wood loft with a four wood shaft. One of the most consistent club in my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go ahead and pair the Adam's blue fairway with those hybrids and irons. Throw in a 54 wedge of your liking to fill out the bag.

Get a Callaway heavenwood. It's basically a seven wood loft with a four wood shaft. One of the most consistent club in my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K, I appreciate the response. My driver goes about 270 right now, my 3 hybrid about 220. Will the Heavenwood gap that? Is there a way to know which clubs will split that gap without having to test hit them?

Go ahead and pair the Adam's blue fairway with those hybrids and irons. Throw in a 54 wedge of your liking to fill out the bag.

I've been considering the 16° Adams fairway, but wanted opinions. Question, what's the advantage of having a 54° wedge alongside a 60° wedge? Sorry for the stupid question, but I've always just used my PW wedge in the past (newb alert, I know)

K, I appreciate the response. My driver goes about 270 right now, my 3 hybrid about 220. Will the Heavenwood gap that? Is there a way to know which clubs will split that gap without having to test hit them?

I've been considering the 16° Adams fairway, but wanted opinions. Question, what's the advantage of having a 54° wedge alongside a 60° wedge? Sorry for the stupid question, but I've always just used my PW wedge in the past (newb alert, I know)

Do you have the AW and SW with that Adam's iron set? If not, your PW loft is at 45 degrees and so getting one if not two wedges to fill in the gap between the 45 and the 60 wedge would be a good idea. So that you can hit all your distances.

The more wedges you have the more you can take full swings and have better gaps. For example if you go PW, GW, SW, LW and hit them 125, 110, 95, and 80 then for those close distance you can take full swings in your 'scoring areas'. otherwise you end up trying to hit a 125 club 110 yards, 95 yards and 80 yards... etc

Also, I said pair the Adam's fairway with the Adam's hybrids and irons you already have because if you like the tech already, it won't hurt to match it with a very affordable option while you are still at your current HDCP

Okay, I see why it could be a pain to try and take varying power of swings with one wedge. The Adams Blue 5 wood is only ~$40 online, which is way affordable. But I don't have anywhere I can demo it in store. But I love my current Blue irons and hybrids, so it might be okay to buy without trying.

So my current PW is 45° (thanks OpeningDay) so should I get a 55° and a 60° wedge? I really like having a chipper since I'm pretty bad at chipping with an iron, but is it worth it to give up a spot for another wedge?

The 54/56 degree wedge is going to be a lot more versatile, especially for a beginner, than a 60* wedge will be. Since your iron set ends at PW, I'd suggest getting a 50 degree wedge (gap wedge) and 54/56 degree wedge (Sand wedge).

60 degree wedges are pretty unforgiving.

The 54/56 degree wedge is going to be a lot more versatile, especially for a beginner, than a 60* wedge will be. Since your iron set ends at PW, I'd suggest getting a 50 degree wedge (gap wedge) and 54/56 degree wedge (Sand wedge).

This is why I ask the experts. Thanks! I will start looking around for some wedges to demo then!

This is why I ask the experts. Thanks! I will start looking around for some wedges to demo then!

I wouldn't call myself an expert, just someone who's bought way too much golf equipment...

I wouldn't call myself an expert, just someone who's bought way too much golf equipment...

So an expert in buying golf equipment!

In all honesty, I've been seriously playing golf for a month, so yeah... Everyone is an expert to me.

Okay, I see why it could be a pain to try and take varying power of swings with one wedge. The Adams Blue 5 wood is only ~$40 online, which is way affordable. But I don't have anywhere I can demo it in store. But I love my current Blue irons and hybrids, so it might be okay to buy without trying.

So my current PW is 45° (thanks OpeningDay) so should I get a 55° and a 60° wedge? I really like having a chipper since I'm pretty bad at chipping with an iron, but is it worth it to give up a spot for another wedge?

I absolutely do love my X-Act so that's a good club to have. Yes if you don't have that AW and SW from your iron set I would look into the 50 degree wedge and 54 degree wedge like mpeterson said. The 54 is my most versatile club. I use it around the green all the way out to 100 yards.

Agree with this assessment - this man is my tech guru

So an expert in buying golf equipment!

In all honesty, I've been seriously playing golf for a month, so yeah... Everyone is an expert to me.

If you're looking for specific wedges you can get on the cheap, the RTX 2.0 CB in the 50 would be good, since you get some extra forgiveness with the cavity back.
For the sand/lob wedge you could look at the Cleveland Smart Sole or the Callaway Sure Out. They also make a chipper in the smart sole line.

If you're looking for specific wedges you can get on the cheap, the RTX 2.0 CB in the 50 would be good, since you get some extra forgiveness with the cavity back.
For the sand/lob wedge you could look at the Cleveland Smart Sole or the Callaway Sure Out. They also make a chipper in the smart sole line.

K, so it looks like I'll be going with an Adams Blue 5 wood, a 50° and 54° wedge, and the X-ACT chipper to round out my bag.

Quick question. I've been recommended the RTX-3, what's the difference between that and the RTX 2.0? Is the 2.0 just an earlier version?

K, so it looks like I'll be going with an Adams Blue 5 wood, a 50° and 54° wedge, and the X-ACT chipper to round out my bag.

Quick question. I've been recommended the RTX-3, what's the difference between that and the RTX 2.0? Is the 2.0 just an earlier version?

It's the previous version. IMO the 3 is a substantial upgrade with the V-sole but wasn't sure what you were looking to spend.

It's the previous version. IMO the 3 is a substantial upgrade with the V-sole but wasn't sure what you were looking to spend.

Looks like I can pick up 2.0 52°, 56°, and 60° set for $200, so I'll probably go with those over the 3. Those three wedges cost more than I got my 3/4H, 5-PW Adams set for on sale!

It's never bad to spend money on your scoring clubs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Looks like I can pick up 2.0 52°, 56°, and 60° set for $200, so I'll probably go with those over the 3. Those three wedges cost more than I got my 3/4H, 5-PW Adams set for on sale!

I'm with mpeterson on this one in that if I were you, I'd look for 50 and 54 degree wedges. I think he and I have the same reasoning - a 7 degree loft difference may mean too much of a yardage gap between your 45 degree pitching wedge and your 52 degree attack (or gap) wedge. I've always used the rule of thumb that you should have loft gaps of 4-5 degrees between each wedge. It may be different for you, but that is why I (and mptereson, I think) are suggesting a 50/54 setup.

The RTX 2.0 wedges are great clubs. I played two for years. You may want to try the Callaway pre-owned site at www.callawaygolfprepwned.com. They are something of a legend around here for great value. Their MD3 wedges are quite good, they are 25% off regular pricing right now, and the clubs are known for being in better condition than you might expect. You can get their most expensive 50 and 54 degree wedge for about $160 total.

Not to complicate things, but you will likely encounter something called "bounce" or "grind". This refers to the shape of the club's sole. Different soles interact with different swings and different course surfaces (dry/soft, firm/fluffy sand, etc.) to move the club through impact and the surface. For your purposes, I would look for the "standard", "general" or "most versatile" grind. In Cleveland, I believe this is a two dot marking, For Callaway, it is their S grind.

A good fairway wood couldn't hurt either

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm with mpeterson on this one in that if I were you, I'd look for 50 and 54 degree wedges. I think he and I have the same reasoning - a 7 degree loft difference may mean too much of a yardage gap between your 45 degree pitching wedge and your 52 degree attack (or gap) wedge. I've always used the rule of thumb that you should have loft gaps of 4-5 degrees between each wedge. It may be different for you, but that is why I (and mptereson, I think) are suggesting a 50/54 setup.

The RTX 2.0 wedges are great clubs. I played two for years. You may want to try the Callaway pre-owned site at www.callawaygolfprepwned.com. They are something of a legend around here for great value. Their MD3 wedges are quite good, they are 25% off regular pricing right now, and the clubs are known for being in better condition than you might expect. You can get their most expensive 50 and 54 degree wedge for about $160 total.

Not to complicate things, but you will likely encounter something called "bounce" or "grind". This refers to the shape of the club's sole. Different soles interact with different swings and different course surfaces (dry/soft, firm/fluffy sand, etc.) to move the club through impact and the surface. For your purposes, I would look for the "standard", "general" or "most versatile" grind. In Cleveland, I believe this is a two dot marking, For Callaway, it is their S grind.

Thanks for the advice! Wedges are confusing for a newb. I'll find a 50° and a 54°.

A good fairway wood couldn't hurt either

Meaning the Adams Blue wood isn't good for a high handicapper? I'm open to recommendations!

I love my 5 wood. Great club if you can hit it off the deck as well. I have a Cobra Amp cell

Adams blue is a great club for a high handicap. Very forgiving and point and shoot.
I second the MD3 wedges. Awesome!

Meaning the Adams Blue wood isn't good for a high handicapper? I'm open to recommendations!

No, he was just saying in general a fairway would would be a good addition.

I agree, a fairway wood will be very helpful. The 5w that you are looking at might gap closely with your 3h, but if it doesn't work you are only out $40 and could perhaps re sell it. You just don't know til you hit it, it could gap perfectly. As for wedges, I think you have received a lot of good advice. A 50/54 and perhaps eventually a 58 is a very common setup. callawaypreowned.com is a very fun site to peruse, lots more than just Callaway there too.

Back