can you really tell the difference between the balls you play

Basically a phrase i use daily in my job...

Sooo here is my dilemma... I usually play QST, but have noticed a bit better perf (perceived) on spin with z star and distance on xv as well as VFIT for RXS multiple times.

This is where it becomes tough to feel a difference
I've played the QST for a few rounds now, so I have a decent feel for them. I played a Z Star for a couple holes (before it decided to go scuba diving), and to me there was a very noticeable difference in feel. Again, I notice the biggest difference between balls off the driver or putter, and the Z Star felt (and sounded) harder off both. I didn't keep it in play long enough to notice much more than that in terms of performance. :LOL:

If I remember right, the answer to that question is "It depends". :LOL:

He has a really eloquent potential vs. true formula for SS, compression, velocity, spin, and best balls for different types of players that he'll probably come in and ruin my post drive inspired trash talk with. :p

I've played the QST for a few rounds now, so I have a decent feel for them. I played a Z Star for a couple holes (before it decided to go scuba diving), and to me there was a very noticeable difference in feel. Again, I notice the biggest difference between balls off the driver or putter, and the Z Star felt (and sounded) harder off both. I didn't keep it in play long enough to notice much more than that in terms of performance. :LOL:
I thought z star was better off both. I never play long with a ball but 1 ball lasted 12 holes and didn't lose the 2nd... Less click and smoother. Guess it's a head to head next week.

Not sure if distance matters but no real sense off driver.

I thought z star was better off both. I never play long with a ball but 1 ball lasted 12 holes and didn't lose the 2nd... Less click and smoother. Guess it's a head to head next week.

Not sure if distance matters but no real sense off driver.
It's fascinating how subjective ball comparisons are. I guess that's why so many different balls can coexist on the market! (y)

It's fascinating how subjective ball comparisons are. I guess that's why so many different balls can coexist on the market! (y)

I think that is just it. Unless you have access to launch monitors and can take samples of swings. It comes down to a range of balls and basically pick the best feel for you or heck I am sure there are a few people that still want to play a certain ball and go off name on the ball.

Tee game: mainly just feel ie: Harder/softer, if I am striking the ball well though, Ill notice flight difference.

Irons: again mainly feel base, but will start to notice distance gains/losses based on ball type

wedges: Ill really start to see flight and spin differences. Obviously still noticing feel, but not as much as some would think especially when using my 60 due to me playing different shots with it which include hitting different parts of the face which can cause feel changes in the same ball.

Putter: I can certainly feel and hear differences. this may the area where I might be able to notice a difference between similar type balls as well such as a bridgestone tour x vs prov 1x vs tp5 x. not off the top of my head of course, but if I know im hitting those three balls, I could probably tell you which is which somewhat accurately after a few putts with each with their labels taken off/not looking at dimples/look of the ball.

uhhhh......yes. I can totally tell the difference between golf balls.

I can, but really only in feel on full strikes, and in performance around the greens. The latter is why I always play a urethane cover ball, Basically impossible to hold greens with out it for me.

For me, they all go pretty much the same distance off the tee. The only difference I can see is how a ball reacts around the green. A premium ball will hop and stop. The others roll out. Other than that, I can't tell any difference among golf balls.

At least before Dick's Sporting Goods got the brand, the nickname Rock Flites was well-earned. I have not hit one on purpose in decades.

I hear you and today's XL's are not any better. But, some of their line up are actually very good and DSG runs good 2 fer or 3 fer deals on them.

Back