Can you tee off with the tee marker between you and the ball?

Yes, but no real need. If you don’t like it, just move back a yard or two. It’s the allowed teeing area. You get 2 club lengths. On a drive, one club length isn’t going to make a difference.

Do it all the time

I'm gonna give it a go this weekend! You'll send me that LinQ Red if things go awry, right?;)
Looks for red spray paint and finds the steadfast shaft 😆.

I do it if it provides a better lie or angle for my tee shot, but I can’t say that I do it frequently. It surely does not bother me to do it.

Doesn't really bother me and I will do this sometimes

Yes, but no real need. If you don’t like it, just move back a yard or two. It’s the allowed teeing area. You get 2 club lengths. On a drive, one club length isn’t going to make a difference.
I often enough do move back to find a level tee spot. But for an angle purpose moving back doesnt do anything or doesnt do enough. But yes if one wants the better angle one can still stand outside the tee marker but back a yard or so...so as the marker is not between you and the ball. However, that does present the risk of the ball hitting the marker (or even the club via a bad swing. In that case its actually much less a danger imo to have it between myself and the ball.

Nope I hate it! I've seen several driver shafts get broken because of people doing this
Thats strange. Ive never seen that happen ever once and youve seen it several times.
I havnt even had anyone who cringes when i do it ever express that they ever seen someone break the club because of it. . And im a regular at doing it as well as the other many times I seen others as well.
I mean perhaps if a course uses very tall markers it may present that issue. But even that then is just or should be a matter of common sense and how close to place the ball to the marker. I mean you do have to use some judgment. Imo to hit the marker with the shaft you would really have to set it up pretty darn poorly.
Im surprised you or anyone seen that happen more than once or twice at most but hey lol I guess you been in the right place right time (or wrong time) too many times.

I never think much of it, but in the past month or so I have had multiple people tell me they were afraid I was going to hit the tee-marker.
Kills me when it gives them anxiety. :LOL:

Yes. I will use them as legal alignment aids on a couple of holes. Our tee markers resemble shuffleboard discs, so there is no chance of hitting them.

Yep, do it all the time for reasons already mentioned. Or sometimes I'll do it for no particular reason at all.

No it's off putting to have it in my eye line.

People that say they do it for a better angle, well, it's all in their head. Do you really think a couple of feet makes any real difference over 200+ yards?!!

I have a friend who is a good player, and relies heavily on a big sweeping draw off the tee. If there are trees on the right side that might flirt with the flight path, he goes as far left on that tee box as possible. I swear he is going to hit the marker one of these days - he gets really close trying to squeeze out every inch. I want to be there when he hits it 🤣

I couldn’t do that. It would be too distracting.

Many times when warranted or needed for the shot I think I can make.

I do this all the time and it drives one of my buddies crazy. My wife couldn't understand how I good do it either.

I often enough do move back to find a level tee spot. But for an angle purpose moving back doesnt do anything or doesnt do enough. But yes if one wants the better angle one can still stand outside the tee marker but back a yard or so...so as the marker is not between you and the ball. However, that does present the risk of the ball hitting the marker (or even the club via a bad swing. In that case its actually much less a danger imo to have it between myself and the ball.

Okay- odds of that happening are fairly low. Extremely low. And secondly- If you are at that stage of ability that you care about where you stand on the tee to get a better angle for the shape of the hole, wind, etc... then you shouldn't EVER have to worry about hitting a 4" diameter ball, on the ground, 8 feet away. Maybe I'm giving a bit more credit to your ability than you THINK you deserve, but I will ask you this: Lately, have you hit a drive off the tee that MIGHT have even come close to hitting a marker if it was in front of you? Probably not. I tell myself various things around the course. I don't say: "Oh, there's water short, or there's water in front of the tee". I just say- "there IS no water...". In your case, try: "There is no marker".

Here's a sneaky way to avoid thinking about it and having it 'bother you'. Buy yourself a green golf towel. Lay it over the marker- poof, it's out of your psyche. I see nothing that would be against the rules, right? I see plenty of people bring their towels on the tee to wipe off the club, then toss it on the ground. Just toss it over the marker.

Okay- odds of that happening are fairly low. Extremely low. And secondly- If you are at that stage of ability that you care about where you stand on the tee to get a better angle for the shape of the hole, wind, etc... then you shouldn't EVER have to worry about hitting a 4" diameter ball, on the ground, 8 feet away. Maybe I'm giving a bit more credit to your ability than you THINK you deserve, but I will ask you this: Lately, have you hit a drive off the tee that MIGHT have even come close to hitting a marker if it was in front of you? Probably not. I tell myself various things around the course. I don't say: "Oh, there's water short, or there's water in front of the tee". I just say- "there IS no water...". In your case, try: "There is no marker".

Here's a sneaky way to avoid thinking about it and having it 'bother you'. Buy yourself a green golf towel. Lay it over the marker- poof, it's out of your psyche. I see nothing that would be against the rules, right? I see plenty of people bring their towels on the tee to wipe off the club, then toss it on the ground. Just toss it over the marker.
But i dont worry about the marker at all and it doesnt bother me. I was merely pointing out in response to the suggestion of backing up so the marker isnt between oneself and the ball. I think there is a greater chance one one hitting a marker in front of them than there is with one between oneself and his ball. I personally dont concern it iether way. I am not of any great ability at all. I still like the angle when it suits the view.

No it's off putting to have it in my eye line.

People that say they do it for a better angle, well, it's all in their head. Do you really think a couple of feet makes any real difference over 200+ yards?!!
Yes i do think it makes a difference. Just a fraction of an inch on the ball and or clubface makes an enormous difference 200 yrds away. Thats what ball striking (for better or worse) is all about.
There is imo a big difference from the far left side of an entire tee box and the far right side. And also every foot in between those two extremes counts. So if the tee markers are hugging one side it will make a difference the closer to the other side you can get.

I thought you had to stand in between them as a rule 😅

Did this Saturday trying to get around this corner, teed up about a foot inside the left tee marker. Didn't work, drive caught the top of the trees and dropped short.

Made par because of a sand shot to 5'5CB26BDA-94B7-4D7B-91A1-C46E5C272E22.jpeg

I've teed off with the marker between me and the ball. I've only done it rarely as I don't feel comfortable doing it.

Back