Casual Round Hero Shots

Do you take hero shots in casual handicapped rounds?

• Every time!

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • If the angle is right.

Votes: 45 70.3%
  • Nope - take the medicine.

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters
I'll go for it in the right instance. Unfortunately I've found that even taking my medicine I frequently screw up lol. Punch back into the fairway all too often leads to punch through the fairway to trouble on the other side 🤦‍♂️

I answered "if the angle's right," but, like @blazinden, my view of "right" is pretty damn liberal :ROFLMAO: Or was. I think this season I'll probably play more realistically. Probably be more inclined to take my medicine.

I voted for if the angle is right. It all depends a little on what exactly the shot is and how much of a chance I have of pulling it off vs. how much risk. I tend to try and go for things in those casual rounds though as it's good practice to learn how to hit shots.

I marked that if the angle is right, but it really is more dependent on how my round is going. If have a good score going and don't want to risk another blow up hole will more than likely not take the hero shot. However, if I am just golfing ok and score is nothing special I will go for it. Sometimes is also just mood dependent.
^ Good point. If I'm scoring well and have a chance at a good round, I'm more likely to take my medicine and play the safe shot in an effort to keep the big number off the scorecard. If my round is already shot and I know I'm not going to score well no matter what, might as well go for it and see what happens.

Depending on the round; if I'm out just having fun and not worried about score, go for it. However, if I'm playing good, I try to tell myself to take the pitch out because you'll hit that tree.

How I am supposed to know not to do it in a tournament round if I have never seen the hero shot fail? Casual is for fun!

Unless I am in total jail I will generally go for it. I will admit I do factor the likelihood of success. For example from the trees I would try to advance it as far as possible but if there is 1% chance would find an opening. Way too often I try to hit fairway woods out of poor lies.

Tournament or medal play is a different situation.

If there's no risk of damage to me, it's pretty much a go. Especially if I'm with my wife. She thinks she can make every shot and will talk smack the rest of the round if you b**ch out on one. Lol

Last edited:
I've said on here before but I don't play enough golf to not take the "Hero Shot"

If I was out there 3-5 times a week I can understand playing smart but if I haven't played in 3-5 weeks I'm going to get my monies worth.

Went for it two times last weekend on the same hole, different rounds. One of them worked out and allowed me to get birdie for my only one of the day. The next time it was a contributing factor for my 10 on the hole and messing up the round royally :LOL:

Hahaha....playing Stableford points system for money on Saturday mornings...not as often...for money with friends...almost all the time!

My Hero Effort.....

How my hero effort goes....

How often? Not nearly as often as I used to. Maybe 25% of the time, but things have to be in my favor.

always haha. i don't care if the HC takes a hit or I lose a bit of money. The bragging rights/story if I pull it off is worth it :LOL:
Like hitting a flop shop with a brick retaining wall right in front of you? I am always there :cool: (mostly because I put myself in those positions...)

Casual round? Every damn time.

We didn't come out here to can peaches!

Nobody is impressed with the pure flushed 6i layup.

I bone the layup shot nearly as often as the hero shot.

Same. I sometimes think that the fairway is the worst place for me to be.

It's so situational, right?

Depends on the type of shot.

Long forced carry over a hazard? Nah, probably not. My miss tends to be fat (short) so I try not to take chances with trouble short.

Punch one under the tree limbs? Yeah, I feel good about those generally.

Shoot the gap? Depends on the gap.

Flop one to a tight pin? Sure, I'll try it.

Lots to agree with here. Unfortunately for me when I try to lay up short on long forced carry over a hazard, I tend to either chunk it or hit it very flush into the hazard.

I used to, but saw that my game want improving and I found that even more frustrating than missing the hero shot. So, I stopped trying them unless it was a practice round or during a fundraiser scramble.

I’d rather be in play and know I’m taking an extra shot than hope on a 1:1,000.

Generally speaking I'm looking to advance the ball whenever possible. If I have a shot at the green that seems somewhat make-able, I'm taking it. Been trying to be more aggressive. As was said before I can duff a safe shot or layup just as bad.

I took one yesterday from a fairway bunker with the fairly shallow lip about 4 feet in front of me. It was 228 into the breeze with water about 20 yards left and short of the green and I hit my 4w about 25 feet left of the flag for a two putt birdie. We had a stranger in our foursome and he was very complimentary after the shot. I didn’t tell him I was aiming well right of the flag. ;)

Casual round? Every damn time.

We didn't come out here to can peaches!

Nobody is impressed with the pure flushed 6i layup.

Amen! I'm out there to have fun, always gotta go for it

I'm more likely to attempt it from the fairway and if I am familiar with the course. For example there is a dogleg right par 5 at one of my frequent haunts. Bunker short right water left. I have a left to right shape with my 3 wood so I generally go for it middle of the green. I know the green slopes left to the water so sometimes it can help funnel the ball back to sucker pin locations. I go for it but I never flag hunt with a wood!

I marked that if the angle is right, but it really is more dependent on how my round is going. If have a good score going and don't want to risk another blow up hole will more than likely not take the hero shot. However, if I am just golfing ok and score is nothing special I will go for it. Sometimes is also just mood dependent.

Yep, this.

Back