Changes in club weighting?

ClairefromClare

Give 'em Helen!
Reaction score
Handicap
Brazilian
This is a history question for those of you who've been playing longer than I.

My Dad and I were going through my bag yesterday (he was suitably impressed). Dad played most of his life, up until a few years ago. Probably hadn't bought new clubs in the past 20 years or so.

He said the one thing that really struck him about my clubs is how all the weight is in the clubhead. Dad said that with any club he ever played, the weight was distributed more evenly between the head and the shaft.

So, I'm a girl. I have 44-45 gram graphite shafts on my women's flex clubs. Of course all the weight is in the club head.

My question is if that's just my clubs, or if Dad's observation has broader applicability. Are your regular and stiff flex clubs more evenly balanced along the shafts? Is it more like that with graphite as opposed to stainless steel shafts? Or is this something that has really changed over time?

According to most of the clubmakers I have spoken with, technology has changed the design of clubs in a few ways. But specifially was to put more weight in the head rather than even dispersion. They feel as though it helps players drive the club through the ball. However some clubs are still more evenly weighted and many feel as though its a personal preference. Example would be Vokey wedges are much more evenly weighted than my Nickent Arc Wedges. Which are more head heavy.

Guess it makes sense. Dad was kinda freaked out about the perimeter weighted irons and had never seen a hybrid in real life (all his golfing buddies were similar vintage). What really got him was that I don't have totally matched clubs.

But he did agree with my that DD has the prettiest putter ever.

I prefer more weight in the heads of my clubs. I feel that I have a better tempo when I have to consciously control the club head.

I think this is a pretty putter!

IMG_7044new.jpg

post-47247-1222794925-3.jpg

Back