Cheap Blackout Putter Shaft Idea?

JohnWhirl

Reaction score
Hey all! I had a quick idea that I'm considering trying out for my putter. It currently has a steel shaft, but I think it could look awesome with a blacked out shaft. At this point in time I don't really want to go with replacing the shaft, so I was curious about using black Heat Shrink Tubing (similar to this:http://www.redco.com/Redco-ST221.html). I'm looking at this option because I know it would be fairly cheap, and definitely temporary in the event I wouldn't like it, and I would only be out a few bucks.

Has anyone ever used something like this to black out a shaft? Did it work well? How is durability?

Also what size would I need to fit the shaft?

Never have used that but looks like it may work. My only question would be will it shrink enough near the tip to provide a snug fit. You will have to buy a size large enough to fit the butt end and hope it shrinks enough to fit the tip. Also I don't think I'd apply it under the grip.

you can get a black shaft from putter lounge for about $30. Or there is a local guy here that will do Cerakote on the shaft for $50. If you decide to go permanent.

https://regripit.com/index.php/putter-shafts/flat-black-putter-shaft.html

I just did a matte black shaft on my putter, cost $14 from golfworks.com

I've used the heat shrink tubing on a older putter I have sitting around. It was a super easy process and it actually turned out pretty well. The only downside is that it isn't a glossy finish, which I think would make it look better.

I've used the heat shrink tubing on a older putter I have sitting around. It was a super easy process and it actually turned out pretty well. The only downside is that it isn't a glossy finish, which I think would make it look better.

What size heat shrink did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sign vinyl could work too, just wrap it. Peel it if you don't like it...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I used 5/8" heat shrink to wrap my metal x milled. It's got that matte finish so it looks pretty good and isn't a gloss fake look.

7370b0e9c470f813496d382176745482.jpg

71c206551987a4afcce5697650bf4853.jpg

Looks pretty good!

Thanks !!
When I had the neon yellow Superstroke grip on it, many commented that it looked factory or how it should have came from the factory with the neon yellow accents on the sole.

I used 5/8" heat shrink to wrap my metal x milled. It's got that matte finish so it looks pretty good and isn't a gloss fake look.

Did you regrip and do the heat sink, or were you able to pull it over the grip?

You put the shrink on without a grip. I leave about a 1/2" extra so the grip covers it. then put my grip tape on normally. Then slide the grip on.

You put the shrink on without a grip. I leave about a 1/2" extra so the grip covers it. then put my grip tape on normally. Then slide the grip on.

Damn, I like how it looks, but I dont want to pull my grip.

thanks

The heat shrink is only 5/8". It would never stretch over a grip. I have a $20 Dynacraft grip puller that I use.

That looks AMAZING!! I totally want to go this route to try it out!!

Tapatalking my way around!

Ordered the same shaft. Was very pleased.

Excellent! I wish they had a version for my odyssey, but haven't found the double bend in matte black yet.

Excellent! I wish they had a version for my odyssey, but haven't found the double bend in matte black yet.

Yup. That's why I bought the heat shrink

Blackout Spider 1.JPGBlackout Spider 2.JPG

I had my 2012 TM Spider Ghost refinished and wanted a black shaft to match. Very glad I found this thread and did the heat shrink wrap mentioned previously and love the way it turned out.

Back