Checkered's Journey to the Morgan Cup and Better Golf

checkered

Team Paradise - 2023 Morgan Cup Champions!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
too high
I've been unsure when to start a thread on this but figure I should get on it. I'm still incredibly shocked and honored to be a part of this year's Morgan Cup. This has been something I've wanted and hoped to be a part of for a long time. I appreciate the chance to be a part of such a special and storied event. I fully intend to enjoy the hell out of it and do all I can to make sure everyone else does as well. I also intend to bring a better golf game than I currently have. I plan to use this thread to share my progress leading up to the Morgan Cup and continued efforts to get better afterwards.

So to start, a little about me for those that don't know me. I'll be 47 in a couple months and live up north of Seattle in Washington. I'm currently a 27.1 handicap. I attribute this more to lack of playing than potential, but whatever it is, it sucks. Driving has always been a bit of a struggle, and irons usually one of the stronger parts of my game. With the time I took off, and lack of playing after that, my game has been pretty bad lately. Chipping and putting have been not as bad but can always use work.

My goal is to get to an 18 or better by October. I'm working towards this with some professional help, a lot of practice, and more rounds of golf. I have a net I can hit into out in my back yard that I have started to use almost daily, and I get to the range typically once a week (hopefully more soon with the light after work getting to last longer). I have my first 18 of the year scheduled for this coming Sunday.

Along with the golf, I'm trying to work on my health and fitness. I'm 6'2"ish, and 250 lbs at the moment. I've struggled with activity with both my work in IT and the weather up here and thus my weight. I'm making a more concerted effort to be more active with walking as often as possible, lifting weights daily and keeping an eye on what I eat. I have to do more, but also it's been a long time of not, so trying not to overdo it and hurt myself. My plan is to gradually add more, and I need to stay on top of doing so.

Current bag is a bit of a mish mash:

Driver - Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* with Miyazaki Kusala Blue 72S
3W - Mizuno ST-190 with Fujikura ATMOS Blue 6 Stiff
Hybrid - Callaway X Hot Pro 20* with Project X V Stiff
4-PW - Callaway XR Pro with UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 105 F4 (stiff)
Cleveland RTX 50* with KBS Tour Stiff
Mizuno T20 56* with Dynamic Gold S400
Callaway MD5 Jaws 60* with Dynamic Gold S200
Putter - Seemore OneCS or Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C
Ball - Chrome Soft X

So, yeah, if you've read this far, thank you. I look forward to sharing my journey to getting better and to the Morgan Cup in October.

I'll be following your journey, @checkered - so stoked to see you going to the Morgan Cup! You got this, and it'll be fun to see it happen! 👊

I’ll be following along brother 👊. Sounds like you got a good plan in place and a clear idea of where you want to get to. Enjoy the journey my man.

I've been unsure when to start a thread on this but figure I should get on it. I'm still incredibly shocked and honored to be a part of this year's Morgan Cup. This has been something I've wanted and hoped to be a part of for a long time. I appreciate the chance to be a part of such a special and storied event. I fully intend to enjoy the hell out of it and do all I can to make sure everyone else does as well. I also intend to bring a better golf game than I currently have. I plan to use this thread to share my progress leading up to the Morgan Cup and continued efforts to get better afterwards.

So to start, a little about me for those that don't know me. I'll be 47 in a couple months and live up north of Seattle in Washington. I'm currently a 27.1 handicap. I attribute this more to lack of playing than potential, but whatever it is, it sucks. Driving has always been a bit of a struggle, and irons usually one of the stronger parts of my game. With the time I took off, and lack of playing after that, my game has been pretty bad lately. Chipping and putting have been not as bad but can always use work.

My goal is to get to an 18 or better by October. I'm working towards this with some professional help, a lot of practice, and more rounds of golf. I have a net I can hit into out in my back yard that I have started to use almost daily, and I get to the range typically once a week (hopefully more soon with the light after work getting to last longer). I have my first 18 of the year scheduled for this coming Sunday.

Along with the golf, I'm trying to work on my health and fitness. I'm 6'2"ish, and 250 lbs at the moment. I've struggled with activity with both my work in IT and the weather up here and thus my weight. I'm making a more concerted effort to be more active with walking as often as possible, lifting weights daily and keeping an eye on what I eat. I have to do more, but also it's been a long time of not, so trying not to overdo it and hurt myself. My plan is to gradually add more, and I need to stay on top of doing so.

Current bag is a bit of a mish mash:

Driver - Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* with Miyazaki Kusala Blue 72S
3W - Mizuno ST-190 with Fujikura ATMOS Blue 6 Stiff
Hybrid - Callaway X Hot Pro 20* with Project X V Stiff
4-PW - Callaway XR Pro with UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 105 F4 (stiff)
Cleveland RTX 50* with KBS Tour Stiff
Mizuno T20 56* with Dynamic Gold S400
Callaway MD5 Jaws 60* with Dynamic Gold S200
Putter - Seemore OneCS or Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C
Ball - Chrome Soft X

So, yeah, if you've read this far, thank you. I look forward to sharing my journey to getting better and to the Morgan Cup in October.

I read it all. :LOL:

I really appreciate the introduction. I like what you’re thinking about improving your body and your golf game. It’s great to use the Morgan Cup as incentive for improvement in both areas.

I only know you through the forum but I look forward to meeting you in October. I hope you continue to enjoy this journey were both on.

May your handicap and weight both drop.

You have a + handicap beard game tho

Good stuff! Something tells me you'll get to that 18 before October. Enjoy the ride, my man. You have a cup to win!

At least you have a handicap. I need to get some rounds recorded to see how bad mine is.

You got this and enjoy every second of your journey!

Looking forward to following the journey. Sounds like you’ve got things in motion to get to 18 in no time.

I grew up about 20-30 min north of Seattle :D

Stoked you made the event and excited to follow your journey!

Go out and have some fun...the rest will take care of itself.

@checkered, I’m looking forward to following your journey and meeting you in October.

@Kruz88, your cap starts with a +.🤣

Best of luck in your journey and I hope you get to a 15, at least!

Not that you needed an intro (you are already such a well liked member) but glad to hear more about your journey and look forward to your progress!

Love seeing these threads pop up. Look forward to the updates on your progress :)

Can't wait to follow your trip to The MC!!

Hate that your team will fall a little short ;)

As a fellow high capper, I'm looking forward to following your journey.

You're playing for the wrong team though. :p

Love these kinds of threads. Also remember lots of pictures and videos 😂

Go get that Cup but mostly importantly enjoy every part of the journey!

Excited to follow along.

Looking forward to your journey to an experience of a lifetime, culminating in a team loss ;) but a life long gain!

Happy to see a fellow high capper get grinding for the Morgan Cup!

Good stuff John, I'm looking forward to following along and teeeing it up with you in October! It sounds like you set lots of goals, and always best to break them down into small achievable ones to not get too lost in them.

Are you playing the round on Sunday to set a baseline for your 2023 play, or working on something in particular?

I have to get one of these threads started for my journey too, hopefully later this week if I can sneak out for a round during the weekend.. having Easter on Sunday limits my play options though 😢

Good stuff but the mish mash leaves me with one question I really need an answer too - are you rocking the mish mash stock grips on all that, or something consistent?

Back