Chipping: Cut or draw?

What is your chipping stroke?

• Total voters
I try to chip it straight. That way I can read the green and hopefully pick the target that I am aiming for.

Straight. What is this chip or draw of which you speak? :p

Trying to covert to a draw/ straight chip
In past I have a natural cut stroke which I set up open and just trying to get close
works for longer chip strokes past 40 feet
Im poor chipper when its small green but with the newer technique to chip it straight it feels just like a short putt

I love this question, because it's something that comes up a lot around me and I talk about it with some instructors.

Comes up 1.) partly because in cell phone lenses everything kind of tunnels away / \, so you usually look closed to target and a straight path looks more like / so things can look really in to out and 2.) because I DO use a draw stroke/swing on chips a lot.

It can be noticed by some in person and in video the visual combination I described above can look quite exaggerated.

It became more common for me because of chipping struggles when I started playing again. I could still hit a golf ball but my short game had predictable and sizable rust. Magnified by not having the best wedges for me at the time. I developed pretty low hands and face angle kind of pulled my shots left, had to move the ball back a lot and expose the front edge more. Higher bounce wedges, flatter lie angles, yadda yadda.. I made it all work and solved some things along the way.

I noticed a couple things though. When the pressure was on I would creep towards a steeper, cut stroke/swing. Handy at times but runs into some of the same problems again, and with those flat lies really brought the toe-turf dynamic into play. Didn't love that. Created lots of problems. Started pushing the strike towards the toe, and you get into some delicate dynamics there and a lot of subtle face twisting and stubbing on the slightest mistake. So I started practicing draw chips, more in to out path. My hands like to come in to out, works for me better physically, so let's keep the heel in contact with the ground a tad more and get off the damn toe type thinking. And things got better very quickly. I could make more consistent stable contact, stopped manipulating loft all the time, could predict my roll out better, etc. Became a thing, and I had no idea how much I'd eventually use it.

I lived in the Midwest then, but I play on actual grain now, and the draw stroke/swing on chips is kind of a secret weapon of mine around here. The conversations tend to be a little more complex than I'd probably ever want or try to type, but it opens up a lot of consistency and versatility and helps keep my stroke from wandering towards the cutty, steeper, swipey side of things, and I utilize it on course quite often.

I only found out some months ago when watching .. a TM video I think, that Tiger almost solely practices draw chips. He said something about that it's 'easier to add loft' and stuff, but I'd love a fuller explanation as to why he does that. It felt very stroke/habit training to me when he was talking about it.
Umm. 🤯🤔😳

I do what I do. I’m shallow. In to out. “Feel it”. Jason Day flatter stroke I more identify with. But that could be very wrong.

I draw full swings. So I’ll go with I draw chips.

As I will chip with possibly 7 different clubs based on amount of distance to cover and amount of preferred roll out. My stroke tends to be simple straight back and thru.

I am the complete opposite. I always chip with my 54* and will adjust where I set my hands to control the shot I want to hit.

Its awesome everyone has there own unique way to do the same thing.

Cut chip I feel like I turning my shoulder. Out to in Just hinge my wrist.
Draw chip feels like I’m using my pivot and just rotate around my belly button/waist with shaft point to belly button Hands are passive.

Straight back straight through using the toe of the club

Depends on the shot. Needing more rollout then draw spin. Needing more check spin then cut spin.

Grew up playing with PW for all chips. Played old Don Ross course turtle back natural drainage. Most “standard” chips were 30-60 foot
chip and run with slight upward pin placement usually central location
Now with advancement green drainage there no standard chip I have to use all my clubs to chip with.

...in order to have a really good short game you need to be able to hit the shot required. It is the shot that is going to determine the swing used.

Bingo!

I love this question, because it's something that comes up a lot around me and I talk about it with some instructors.

Comes up 1.) partly because in cell phone lenses everything kind of tunnels away / \, so you usually look closed to target and a straight path looks more like / so things can look really in to out and 2.) because I DO use a draw stroke/swing on chips a lot.

It can be noticed by some in person and in video the visual combination I described above can look quite exaggerated.

It became more common for me because of chipping struggles when I started playing again. I could still hit a golf ball but my short game had predictable and sizable rust. Magnified by not having the best wedges for me at the time. I developed pretty low hands and face angle kind of pulled my shots left, had to move the ball back a lot and expose the front edge more. Higher bounce wedges, flatter lie angles, yadda yadda.. I made it all work and solved some things along the way.

I noticed a couple things though. When the pressure was on I would creep towards a steeper, cut stroke/swing. Handy at times but runs into some of the same problems again, and with those flat lies really brought the toe-turf dynamic into play. Didn't love that. Created lots of problems. Started pushing the strike towards the toe, and you get into some delicate dynamics there and a lot of subtle face twisting and stubbing on the slightest mistake. So I started practicing draw chips, more in to out path. My hands like to come in to out, works for me better physically, so let's keep the heel in contact with the ground a tad more and get off the damn toe type thinking. And things got better very quickly. I could make more consistent stable contact, stopped manipulating loft all the time, could predict my roll out better, etc. Became a thing, and I had no idea how much I'd eventually use it.

I lived in the Midwest then, but I play on actual grain now, and the draw stroke/swing on chips is kind of a secret weapon of mine around here. The conversations tend to be a little more complex than I'd probably ever want or try to type, but it opens up a lot of consistency and versatility and helps keep my stroke from wandering towards the cutty, steeper, swipey side of things, and I utilize it on course quite often.

I only found out some months ago when watching .. a TM video I think, that Tiger almost solely practices draw chips. He said something about that it's 'easier to add loft' and stuff, but I'd love a fuller explanation as to why he does that. It felt very stroke/habit training to me when he was talking about it.

Whatever I was going to say. Is said better here. Lol!

Whatever gets me on the green safely. Straight is the only way I know how to hit it. I can live with two putts after that.

I think a draw roll has better chance to be holed than a cut chip. End over end roll would be better than draw/cut if you do that with a chipping club

Back