Chipping Tips/Drills that WORK?

Birdiesandbogeys

Reaction score
Handicap
I’m eager to improve my chipping around the green. Anybody got a good drill, or chipping game/contest (or whatever) that has really helped you to get it up-and-down more often?

I’m eager to improve my chipping around the green. Anybody got a good drill, or chipping game/contest (or whatever) that has really helped you to get it up-and-down more often?
I made a game when preparing for the Morgan Cup last year. It helped me focus on every shot and be competitive which yielded good results:

i bought 2 orange road makers and spaced them out on the chipping green back yard and i try to chip in to them from closest to furthest away slowly progressing if i fail to surpass the last ball i start over right now im at 3 started this last year cant wait to continue it in the spring.

My buddy and I were screwing around before a round and started side-saddle chipping. It was actually very easy to hit crisp, perfect shots that way.

My range chipping routine is short target, medium target, long target, then 2 short, 2 medium, 2 long, then reverse it long, medium, short, then I do the same routine but integrating a 7 iron between each chip.

Chipping is all about consistent contact right where the ball meets the ground. Not before to cause a fat shot nor beyond and skulling it.

My favorite chipping drill you may do indoors or out and you don't use a ball.

On your living room rug, make a chipping swing and brush/strike the carpet. Now, swing it back and on the backstroke, strike the carpet in the very same place. Develop a rhythm where you hit the rug going back and forth and striking the exact same place in both directions. You may very well find it hard to hit the rug on the backstroke at first. What I find this does is automate that point of contact and once that becomes automatic, you can concentrate on how hard to hit it. It's easier to hit solid chips when you only ever strike right at the correct point.

My chipping method mirrors Paul Runyon's chip/putt method. I use the same set up, and stroke for both chips, and putts. I found this method gives me better distance control, and accuracy.

My chipping practice starts by reading the green just like I do a putt. Chips spend alot of time rolling, so the green needs to be read just like a putt.

Once I have my read, I pick my club, and the landing spot on the green where the ball will start it's roll to the pin.

My goal is to either hole the chip, or leave a short 1 putt hole out.

A practice game I play is to drop one ball around the green, and chip it. (I only use one ball) If it doesn't find the hole, then I take my putter, and putt the ball in. My goal is to be holed out in two strokes , or less. I am not that precise, but I do maintain a consistent average of 2.15 when playing this practice game.

I was taught a long time ago to practice the various shots I encounter when playing for real. Even the bad ones.

First tip I was told was pretend you're playing Cornhole.. that turn and toss motion to help with distance control

My brother uses a chipping net and has gotten very good with his 60'. The only trouble is he's not comfortable with bump and run as he is very good at dropping on a spot from using the net but doesn't have much feel for the roll afterwards.

Chipping in the yard or practice area... Short middle long.

How’s your technique? Here’s a pretty good summary of technique:

I consider myself a pretty good chipper. I am a terrible putter so I would rather chip most of the time. ??‍♂️ I don’t have a game or drill I can suggest, but maybe this will help a bit. My goal on chipping is to get the ball from whatever lie I have (rough, fairway, or fringe) to get on the green and start rolling out like a putt as quickly as possible.
I’ll chip with any iron in the bag depending on how far or close the pin is or how high or low I need to keep the ball flight. I’ll read the chip like a putt and figure out a target spot on the green that I need to land my chip so it can roll out to as close to the pin as possible.
Don’t settle for one club as a “chipper” like a lot of golfers do. Experiment with the lob, sand, PW, and other irons to see how they roll out for distances. Nice easy swing with relaxed hands and you’ll be up and down more times than not. Good luck and I hope this helps a bit!

I'll assume your chipping technique is sound.

Pick one target and chip to it from four different places. Keep at it until you get all four chips up and down, then chip to a new location from four different places. Or, you can chip from one place to four different holes. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Once you're good at that, start chipping to one hole, not too far away, and practice sinking the chip. Sink four and change your target. Gradually make your targets be farther away. This is a really hard drill, but it is what will make you a VERY good chipper.

I tend to try to use 2 different clubs, based on what type of shot I want to hit. If I need to lob the shot I use a GW, if I need to get more roll I use 8I. I alter the length of my swing.
If I have a 60 yard chip I use my GW and make a swing that brings my hands shoulder height. At 30 yards my hands come up to waist height. At 15 yards I will play a hybrid bump and run with the 8I, let the ball land at about 8-10 yards and roll out. If on the fringe and have still 10 yards a 8I a little higher than ankle high seems to work.
Now, much of this is with no hazard between myself and the green. If I have to go over a bunker it now becomes feel and maybe a SW opened up. Learning what works for you is best practiced A LOT.

But altering your swing with the same club rather than changing clubs for each and every different shot leaves a lot into play.

just my 2 cents

Back