Choose your own adventure. 14th hole at We Ko Pa - Saguaro course

Looks like more overall carry to that left side. Accros is probably going with the safest route?

It does shorted the hole going right. Well how my Tee game is going that day if I challenge the right and longer desert second carry to smaller LZ.
It’s a 3 to the green hole for me.

It does shorted the hole going right. Well how my Tee game is going that day if I challenge the right and longer desert second carry to smaller LZ.
It’s a 3 to the green hole for me.
You can run it up to the green if you go right, but you have to fly a trap if you go left. That said, last time I played I just didn’t hit it far enough up the right side to reach and had to lay up anyway. Going left is an easier par/bogey and going right is the best shot at eagle/bird/double ;)

As promised, here is how I played this hole today. I was missing right all day so I thought to aim at middle of left and fully expected it to go right. It actually went were I aimed. The hole plays very up hill. The fairways were very healthy grass with lots of watering so did not offer up beneficial extra roll.
That said I stuck my gap wedge on the terrace with the pin, 7 ft away. I missed the birdie a ball length to the left. Leaving a 6 inch tap in par!

1600642370697.png

One of the only highlights on my struggle of a round. I would have liked the birdie after the first two shots. Hit my chip into a huge false front and it rolled back off the green. At least I learned from my mistake and hit my second chip close
3302354A-A488-4FA0-9BBC-E62632224680.png

One of the only highlights on my struggle of a round. I would have liked the birdie after the first two shots. Hit my chip into a huge false front and it rolled back off the green. At least I learned from my mistake and hit my second chip close
View attachment 8964515

those false fronts got a lot of people today.

We played both We Ko Pa courses in 2019 and this one this Summer. On this hole, I played a driver into a pretty good wind down the right side, leaving me 235 in. I hit a bullet 3-wood right at the front pin and it came up just short. The slope in front of the green is very steep and I chipped up to about 3' and made my birdie.

One of the guys in my group played down the left and had a wedge in for his 3rd. He hit the front of the green and the ball backed up 10 yards down the fairway. The other 2 guys played to the right fairway but just missed to the right -they both played down to the other fairway and all 3 of the others made bogey.

We were playing Left-Right for a $1 with double for birdie or if both scores on one team were better than both on the other - me and the guy in the left fairway made $2/each on that hole!

You'll love We Ko Pa - both courses are fantastic! Wide fairways for the most part too (y)

We played both We Ko Pa courses in 2019 and this one this Summer. On this hole, I played a driver into a pretty good wind down the right side, leaving me 235 in. I hit a bullet 3-wood right at the front pin and it came up just short. The slope in front of the green is very steep and I chipped up to about 3' and made my birdie.

One of the guys in my group played down the left and had a wedge in for his 3rd. He hit the front of the green and the ball backed up 10 yards down the fairway. The other 2 guys played to the right fairway but just missed to the right -they both played down to the other fairway and all 3 of the others made bogey.

We were playing Left-Right for a $1 with double for birdie or if both scores on one team were better than both on the other - me and the guy in the left fairway made $2/each on that hole!

You'll love We Ko Pa - both courses are fantastic! Wide fairways for the most part too (y)

Yeah I loved it. My wedge landed perfectly on that front terrace, with the pin that day up front. The guys I was playing with both experienced the 'US Open" rejection of the false front.

I went right but more right than I wanted.I faded it (only fade of the day) and drive went nowhere. I then didn’t carry the hazard, but somehow made par

1600735233926.jpeg

On Sept. 20th, our golf league will play at We Ko Pa and play the Saguaro course. According to Golfweek, this is the highest rated course in Arizona and #71 "Best course you can play" in the US.

View attachment 8962876

To say i'm excited to finally take on the beautiful and challenging course is an understatement. Some of you could come join us, as we have some slots available.....It would be great if any THPer could join us.

For those that travel is the limiting factor, let's play the 14th hole together. First I'll describe the hole and get you any additional the information you need and then you tell us all how you would approach this hole. I'll follow up after our match and post my Arccos captured result from this hole.

Tale of the tape: We are playing the White tees. 6252/68.8/125. This is the #2 rated hole on the course.

View attachment 8962870

Google earth measurements place the 250 yard mark from the white tees at the white dot in the elbow of the left fairway. The end of the right fairway is 297 yards. The landing areas around the 250 mark on 41 yards to the left and 29 yards to the right. What is hard to tell from google earth is that the fairways are undulating and elevated from the desert. You want to hit the green grass on this course.

If you go left and hit it 250, it's 205 yards to the buncher short of the green. If you go right and hit it 250, it is 241 yards to the center of the green.

View attachment 8962872

My course cap is 23. We play Net/Gross skins, so I'm taking my 2 pops and going for a par/net eagle! How are you going to attack this hole?

I’m aiming for the brown spot between the two FW’s. If I aim at it I’ll hit something green. Can get home either side with a decently struck drive, probably won’t though.

I’m aiming for the brown spot between the two FW’s. If I aim at it I’ll hit something green. Can get home either side with a decently struck drive, probably won’t though.
That strategy was discussed. 😂

Back