Cleveland Golf buds, do I go CBX or RTX?

andhelostthem

Reaction score
Handicap
Currently playing a CBX 2s that I've worn down to replacement level and are the best clubs in my bag. I've tested both the CBX ZipCore and RTX ZipCore with positive results but not on-course and in tough lies. So I have some questions for anyone out there who plays either of the clubs.
  • Is the RTX going to be too advanced for me and a struggle? I'm a 10-ish handicapper and dropping who plays mostly on Muni crabgrass.
  • Does the CBX get those random "sweet spot of the sweet spot" hits that pop off the club an extra 10 yards that I've had with some other game-improvement clubs?
  • Is ZipCore worth it or am I better off replacing my CBX 2s with more CBX 2s?

If you are in dire need of getting new wedges and you like your CBXs then just get replacements. If you are not in a rush... I'd wait for lets say oh... about 56 more days 👀

:censored:

I say, go with the Cleveland CBX2 golf buds. I love mine. (P.S. what is a golf bud?)

I have one of each. I prefer the Zipcore. It just feels better and I’m not trying to crush them.

I’m a 10ish handicap who plays the RTX in the 54 and 58. I don’t think they are too much club for you but sometimes if my strike wonders, which it can as a higher cap, I wonder I’d having more foregiveness in the 3/4 and ‘full’ shots may be a better choice.

If me, if you love the CBX 2’s see if you can simply find replacements and if not the CBX Zipcore shouldn’t be too far off.

Last summer I replaced my 60* and I tested both the CBX and the RTX and I went with the CBX Zipcore for the extra forgiveness.
I am glad I did that club is Money. I say if you like what you have just get a newer version and worry about a different club.

You really can't go wrong either way!

Last edited:
I had the CBX2s and loved them. I bought a Zipcore only because I left my 56* on a golf course (major scowl) and they were out of CBX2s. I loved the Zipcore so much I bought a 52* and am about to buy a 60*. I didn't think they could improve the CBX2, but they did.

Honestly I would stick with what's close to the CBX2 and get the Zipcore. That wedge isn't holding you back from anything and is SO good on full swings as well.

Currently playing a CBX 2s that I've worn down to replacement level and are the best clubs in my bag. I've tested both the CBX ZipCore and RTX ZipCore with positive results but not on-course and in tough lies. So I have some questions for anyone out there who plays either of the clubs.
  • Is the RTX going to be too advanced for me and a struggle? I'm a 10-ish handicapper and dropping who plays mostly on Muni crabgrass.
  • Does the CBX get those random "sweet spot of the sweet spot" hits that pop off the club an extra 10 yards that I've had with some other game-improvement clubs?
  • Is ZipCore worth it or am I better off replacing my CBX 2s with more CBX 2s?
You are me although I’m a 12.5 index so you’re better than me lol. I went with the CBX Zipcore’s as replacements for my CBX2s. I haven’t used them yet as I’m just playing winter golf now but I will break them out come spring.

If you like the CBx stay with them.

I hated them :LOL: and much prefer the rtx zipcore. Also around a 10hcp

Depends on what you need, I have both. My 50* and 55* (56* -1) are CBX2s, and they have worked great for me. I went with the RTX for my 60 though, because I wanted a different bounce and sole grind for that one than what comes on the CBX2. I actually have two 60*s, an RTX4 with low bounce for courses around here that have ridiculously hard bunkers, and a high bounce ZipCore Tour Rack that is about as versatile as a lob wedge can get, that I use most of the time.

You're about half my handicap but here's my history with both...

I started with the RTX Zipcores and I found myself having lots of mishits (fat, thin, you name it) unless I was swinging full, even then I had a hard time. I read up on the CBX2's and made the switch and it was instantly recognizable that I got better with my short game (chipping, sand, you name it).

I keep staring at the RTX's in the corner, but they will remain there until I get more confidence and improve my game. :)

You're about half my handicap but here's my history with both...

I started with the RTX Zipcores and I found myself having lots of mishits (fat, thin, you name it) unless I was swinging full, even then I had a hard time. I read up on the CBX2's and made the switch and it was instantly recognizable that I got better with my short game (chipping, sand, you name it).

I keep staring at the RTX's in the corner, but they will remain there until I get more confidence and improve my game. :)

I wen thru a similar journey. I had Vokeys when I was around a 20 handicap and had no clue they were hurting me so much. I would hit amazing shots half the time and the other half struggle to make connection. Learned about more forgiving wedges and moved on. Fast forward to now and I'm a 10 handicap and dropping and wondering if its time to move to something a little more advanced again.

RTX Zipcores are $119 now, if that helps the decision. I tried the CBX Zipcores and didn’t like the fatter soles. I have the RTX and like them as well as any wedge I’ve had.

I wen thru a similar journey. I had Vokeys when I was around a 20 handicap and had no clue they were hurting me so much. I would hit amazing shots half the time and the other half struggle to make connection. Learned about more forgiving wedges and moved on. Fast forward to now and I'm a 10 handicap and dropping and wondering if its time to move to something a little more advanced again.

LOL, I have a Vokey SM8 62 degree that laughs it's ass off every time I look at it. It senses my fear at this point and punishes me whenever I break it out!

I suck at golf. Plain and simple. Having said that, if you like the CBX2's and they work for you, and you're right handed, you're more likely to find new ones to replace your current ones. I'd go that route.

I had an RTX4. And a CBX2. The RTX4 was not nearly as forgiving for me as the CBX2. So I went looking for a CBX2 to replace my RTX4. I couldn't find it in lefty so I got a CBX zipcore.

It's as forgiving for me as my CBX2 is. If you want new I'd say go CBX Zipcore. But I'm clueless and suck at golf:ROFLMAO:

I love my CBX2's!! Going to try to play them for as long as they hold up..I would probably go with the CBX Zipcores, as they are really close to the 2's in design, and forgiveness...

Replaced my SW about a month ago because the grooves were so worn. The old one was RTX ZipCore new one is CBX ZipCore. Both were 52* bent to 53* and both had DG Spinner shafts. Honestly they play almost exactly the same for me except for new grooves. No surprise jumpers with the CBX ZipCore yet but I've only played about a dozen rounds with it and maybe another hundred practice shots vs over 250 rounds and thousands of practice shots with the RTX ZipCore.

Last edited:
So, what did you go with? Can't be a bad choice if its Cleveland...

I punted... kind of.

Went with a CBX ZipCore 44 as a pitching wedge replacement. There's not really an RTX option in that loft and I don't mind a little variance when I'm hitting shots over 100 yards. Still not sure what I'm going to do with my middle wedges but figure I'll wait until the RTX6 comes out and then make the call. Currently my wedges are looking like this:

CBX ZipCore 44°
CBX2 Black 48° (needs replacement soon)
CBX2 Black 54° (needs replacement soon)
Jaws Black Raw X12 60°

I guess the Jaws is technically (Roger) Cleveland too.

I saw the new “CBX”. I would wait for them to be released. Looks like the best of both worlds.

I punted... kind of.

Went with a CBX ZipCore 44 as a pitching wedge replacement. There's not really an RTX option in that loft and I don't mind a little variance when I'm hitting shots over 100 yards. Still not sure what I'm going to do with my middle wedges but figure I'll wait until the RTX6 comes out and then make the call. Currently my wedges are looking like this:

CBX ZipCore 44°
CBX2 Black 48° (needs replacement soon)
CBX2 Black 54° (needs replacement soon)
Jaws Black Raw X12 60°

I guess the Jaws is technically (Roger) Cleveland too.
If you wore out a wedge, you must play a lot, or you just use your wedges a lot during a round. I know I use mine on just about every hole, but I think mine will last a lot more than a couple of years. I don't use a brass brush on my CBX2's to clean them-nylon brush only. Good luck in your search...

RTX Zipcores are $119 now, if that helps the decision. I tried the CBX Zipcores and didn’t like the fatter soles. I have the RTX and like them as well as any wedge I’ve had.

That $120 price point was calling me today. I love my CBX 48, 52 and 56. But I preferred an old beat up Ping Glide 2.0 58* to my CBX2 60. The Ping is fine, I just bought it used and it was a bit beat up. The shape of the RTX is similar to the Ping Glide. And the Glides are so expensive right now.

Back