Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Irons

The only way the Halos stay in the bag is if I reshaft those, and I don’t see me dropping that money into these. I guess they’re on borrowed time.

Went to the range this morning, golf clubs know when they’re on borrowed time don’t they?! 😆

Last edited:
Went to the range this morning, golf clubs know when there on borrowed time don’t they?! 😆
What are you looking at to replace them? Weren’t you thinking about PXG’s?

82 year old in our group unboxed his 15 minutes before we teed off Wednesday. 4-SW in reg stock graphite. Played then well. Good looking club for the category. Cleveland always does great with these. Sound was good as well when struck. Distance wise he was as a touch longer I believe than usual for him. I didn’t hit them but will next week hopefully. Torrential rain last night ruined todays play around outta area.

82 year old in our group unboxed his 15 minutes before we teed off Wednesday. 4-SW in reg stock graphite. Played then well. Good looking club for the category. Cleveland always does great with these. Sound was good as well when struck. Distance wise he was as a touch longer I believe than usual for him. I didn’t hit them but will next week hopefully. Torrential rain last night ruined todays play around outta area.
I would love to ask an 82yo what he is thinking putting a 4 iron (Halo or not) in his bag, or playing regular flex anything, but I guess that’s his business. 😉

I would love to ask an 82yo what he is thinking putting a 4 iron (Halo or not) in his bag, or playing regular flex anything, but I guess that’s his business. 😉
I agree with you 100%. He ran/owned a local golf shop for years and IS still a club Ho big time🤣 My theory is if AND when he decides to sell them it’ll be easier with the regular flex. @Grand Stranded 😁

What are you looking at to replace them? Weren’t you thinking about PXG’s?
No sir. Like the misguided youth of today, my golf allegiance is classified as “fluid”.

Found this forum searching for info on the Cleveland Launcher XL Halos. Glad to be here! Does anyone know the differences between the 2021 and 2022 versions? Not the full face version. Also, any pros/cons on the Clevelands vs. Wilson Launchpads or Cobra T-Rails? I’m 61 with a slowing swing speed and also dealing with a shoulder injury so I’m looking for help with a hybrid style iron.

Found this forum searching for info on the Cleveland Launcher XL Halos. Glad to be here! Does anyone know the differences between the 2021 and 2022 versions? Not the full face version. Also, any pros/cons on the Clevelands vs. Wilson Launchpads or Cobra T-Rails? I’m 61 with a slowing swing speed and also dealing with a shoulder injury so I’m looking for help with a hybrid style iron.

Welcome to the forum. Also, look up the over 60 forum here at THP. With a shoulder problem, you'll fit right in! I honestly don't think you can go wrong with the Halo's, T-Rails or LP's. I have the prior gen Halos and like them. Just watch out for a light and flexible Cypher shaft. I'm not sure about the current version and if it is worth paying more. Don't forget to add a hy-wood!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Also, look up the over 60 forum here at THP. With a shoulder problem, you'll fit right in! I honestly don't think you can go wrong with the Halo's, T-Rails or LP's. I have the prior gen Halos snf like them. Just watch out for a light and flexible Cypher shaft. I'm not sure about the current version and if it is worth paying more. Don't forget to add a hy-wood!
Played the last 3 versions of the Cleveland Launcher irons and the T Rails - bought the Titleist T350 irons in Nov. and after 5 rounds went back to the Halo XL irons - like the Reg. Cypher shaft and they are so much easier to hit consistently than normal irons when you are 72 and losing swing speed and overall balance

bought the Titleist T350 irons in Nov. and after 5 rounds went back to the Halo XL irons
That’s great feedback. I had considered the T350s, as I’ve read how forgiving they are, especially for Titleist. Great looking club, too, but I’m mostly interested in what’s going to help me score the best, especially with lost power.

Played the last 3 versions of the Cleveland Launcher irons and the T Rails - bought the Titleist T350 irons in Nov. and after 5 rounds went back to the Halo XL irons - like the Reg. Cypher shaft and they are so much easier to hit consistently than normal irons when you are 72 and losing swing speed and overall balance
I had a similar experience. I'm now 66 and in the process of building a bag "of easiest clubs to hit". I went for a fitting to test out all the super game improvement irons (even though I'm a 9 handicap). After an afternoon of testing, it came down to the Titleist T350's or the Cleveland Halo XL's. The numbers for each were about the same so I decided to go with the T350's since they were so much prettier. That was a mistake. After getting them, I didn't play well with them at all. Sold them on ebay and bought a set of Halo's which I hit much, much better. They're now in the bag and I'm debating whether to make the switch from my current Apex DCB's which I also hit pretty well.

I had a similar experience. I'm now 66 and in the process of building a bag "of easiest clubs to hit". I went for a fitting to test out all the super game improvement irons (even though I'm a 9 handicap). After an afternoon of testing, it came down to the Titleist T350's or the Cleveland Halo XL's. The numbers for each were about the same so I decided to go with the T350's since they were so much prettier. That was a mistake. After getting them, I didn't play well with them at all. Sold them on ebay and bought a set of Halo's which I hit much, much better. They're now in the bag and I'm debating whether to make the switch from my current Apex DCB's which I also hit pretty well.
You guys are getting me fired up! My Halos are now scheduled to arrive today - 1 day ahead of schedule and 2 days before my first tee time of the year! Sun will be out today, so I’ll have a couple of days of hitting into the net. My shoulder is still a process, but I think I can push through. I’m tired of sitting on the sidelines.

Man, I’m so glad I found this thread. I was leaning hard towards the T350s, primarily because of aesthetics.

Halos arrived yesterday and I was able to hit into the net a bit. I wasn’t able to work through every club due to my shoulder, but hit 5, 7 and PW. No full swings, so I don’t have a good feel for them just yet. Shoulder actually feels good today, so I hope to get a good session in.

Interestingly, I was concerned that the length might be a bit short, as I’m 6’2” and my Cobras are +1/2”. I ordered stock length Halos. When held side by side with the Cobras, the Halo 7i is maybe 1/4” shorter, but it doesn’t feel as if it’s a full 1/2” shorter. This is just a quick visual, not a true measurement.

When I was checking the specs, I saw something called an Accuracy Build, which appears to shorten the length by 1/2” and also changes the swing weight. Does anyone here use that spec and if so, what prompted you to do so? Outside of the name implying accuracy, I’m not sure what the intent of that build is.

Halos arrived yesterday and I was able to hit into the net a bit. I wasn’t able to work through every club due to my shoulder, but hit 5, 7 and PW. No full swings, so I don’t have a good feel for them just yet. Shoulder actually feels good today, so I hope to get a good session in.

Interestingly, I was concerned that the length might be a bit short, as I’m 6’2” and my Cobras are +1/2”. I ordered stock length Halos. When held side by side with the Cobras, the Halo 7i is maybe 1/4” shorter, but it doesn’t feel as if it’s a full 1/2” shorter. This is just a quick visual, not a true measurement.

When I was checking the specs, I saw something called an Accuracy Build, which appears to shorten the length by 1/2” and also changes the swing weight. Does anyone here use that spec and if so, what prompted you to do so? Outside of the name implying accuracy, I’m not sure what the intent of that build is.
It takes the counterweight out when one chooses the accuracy build. Should be closer to a steel length, as steel is generally shorter when stock than graphite offerings. As for using the accuracy build, I have not personally. Sorry.

I’m fixing to bag a set of the 588 Altitudes in stock graphite, stiff flex. Found 3-PW in excellent shape for a fantastic price. Be back on dry land tomorrow and they were delivered shortly ago.

I think the intent was simply that shorter clubs, all else being equal, will be more accurate than longer clubs.

I did not use the accuracy build. I actually bought a pretty mint used set of HALO's off of ebay and then had club champion fit me to better shaft.

All my irons are 1/2 inch over std (mostly because I use a 10 finger grip...)

I'm heading out for my first official round of 2024 today here in Upstate NY. Was debating whether to use my current Apex DCB's or send out the HALO's for their first test run. Decided to go with the HALO's. Excited to see how it goes although my expectations for the 1st official round of the year outside are always low. ALL the clubs except the driver and putter will be new as I will also be debuting my Callaway AI Smoke 11, 9, 7 and 4 woods. Plus Callaway CB wedges with a graphite shaft (it'll be the first time I've ever played wedges with graphite shafts....). Fingers are crossed.

mostly because I use a 10 finger grip
Interesting. I converted to a 10 finger grip decades ago. Just started hitting with an interlocking grip yesterday and liked it because I feel like I can hold lag just a bit longer. I’m going to try it today on the course.

I'm heading out for my first official round of 2024 today here in Upstate NY. Was debating whether to use my current Apex DCB's or send out the HALO's for their first test run. Decided to go with the HALO's. Excited to see how it goes although my expectations for the 1st official round of the year outside are always low. ALL the clubs except the driver and putter will be new as I will also be debuting my Callaway AI Smoke 11, 9, 7 and 4 woods. Plus Callaway CB wedges with a graphite shaft (it'll be the first time I've ever played wedges with graphite shafts....). Fingers are crossed.
Enjoy your round! I’m also taking my Halos out on their maiden voyage today. My first round of the year expectations however, are very high and completely unrealistic. Visions of birdies, eagles and aces. I’m sure they’ll get reset after the round.

Enjoy your round! I’m also taking my Halos out on their maiden voyage today. My first round of the year expectations however, are very high and completely unrealistic. Visions of birdies, eagles and aces. I’m sure they’ll get reset after the round.
Lol....

I was very happy with my new irons! Pulled a couple of shots, which is to be expected I guess, with the offset. But I also play a natural draw, so it could have just been rust from not having played in 4 months. I shot an 86 on an easy par 70 course - 41-45. I’m a 13.7 HC, so I wasn’t far off. The 45 on the back was probably due to beer consumption, as my putts weren’t dropping the way they were on the front. My worst shots were with woods (topped) and wedges that I misjudged. I went back to the 10 finger grip after the second hole, as the interlocking experiment was a failure.

But to the topic of the Halos - I found them very easy to hit. For the most part, I believe I was hitting longer than my Cobras, and definitely with much better accuracy. I had 1 or 2 shots that were shorter than expected, so I still have work to do to dial in distances. But I don’t think I had a single bad miss-hit with the irons - no slices or pull hooks. I didn’t try to work the ball too much, other than my draw, so that’s another area that I need to explore.

Given that I’m still playing through a shoulder injury with a new set of irons and it was my first round in 4 months, I was very pleased. My playing partner commented on how well I was hitting them. While not much of a sample size, after 1 round, I’m giving them 2 thumbs up!

Back