Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Irons

My wife bought it before I could research more so UHX 4 will be an experiment :ROFLMAO:.
Irons are better than hybrids if you can hit them well so maybe it’ll work out for you better than me

I know this is for the Launcher XL but don't see anything about the UHX. Anyone ever use the 4 UHX utility? Hybrids for some reason do not get a long with me. @J.B. Cobb III said they were solid, seeing if anyone else knows anything about them?
I've gamed the UHX irons for a couple of years now. I absolutely freakin' love these irons. I get what I call "easy distance" from these. Just put a smooth swing on the ball and it flies. I have the 4-DW and added a CBX2 52* wedge to boot. The 4i is a very nice alternative off the tee, but can also be hit from the fairway if you don't try to overpower it.

I've gamed the UHX irons for a couple of years now. I absolutely freakin' love these irons. I get what I call "easy distance" from these. Just put a smooth swing on the ball and it flies. I have the 4-DW and added a CBX2 52* wedge to boot. The 4i is a very nice alternative off the tee, but can also be hit from the fairway if you don't try to overpower it.
There-Are-Dozens-of-Us-Tobias-Funke-Arrested-Development.gif

I don’t blame you for being frustrated but remember, this isn’t only a Cleveland issue. For example, I waited 18 weeks for my Ping driver. This board isn one to criticize OEMs but go on others and you’ll read horror stories about waiting on clubs from every company out there during the last year or two.
The thing with you though is I can’t understand what the hold up was. It’s not like you placed an exotic order, or that these clubs are flying off the shelves… I don’t get it. 🤷‍♂️
Anyway, enjoy your clubs, man! Hit ‘em well.

I’ve been going to the PGASS and hitting the crap outta a display set they have there. These things are going further each time I hit them, lol.
I’m seriously wondering if I really needed to strengthen the lofts 2* to blend with my hybrid.

SC LEFTY, Didn't you try the halo's for a while, sold or returned them and now you are back to them? What made you go back? Is your new set-up different? I think they have some potential. I am starting to get the hang of a lighter club and with the A shaft. I put on new grips and that helps too. I find the grip on the Tour Velvets are very hit and miss. Sometimes they feel used, even when they are new.

I just did something. 5-DW set coming with XP90. 2 weeks before my Cleveland/Srixon fitting.. Such a moron :)

I just did something. 5-DW set coming with XP90. 2 weeks before my Cleveland/Srixon fitting.. Such a moron :)
Not a moron, lol.
Nobody here as as much experience with this type of set as you do. You’re also very thorough in both your testing and research before you buy something.
It’s normal to have a bit of buyer remorse immediately after a big purchase. Relax… these irons are your jam!

Last edited:
SC LEFTY, Didn't you try the halo's for a while, sold or returned them and now you are back to them? What made you go back? Is your new set-up different? I think they have some potential. I am starting to get the hang of a lighter club and with the A shaft. I put on new grips and that helps too. I find the grip on the Tour Velvets are very hit and miss. Sometimes they feel used, even when they are new.
Yes, and yes.
I bought a set 4-PW last August (before the actual release date), 🙄 and it wasn’t a smart decision, both setup wise and in the fact the timing was wrong. I was in the middle of going down a flex with all my clubs and the first series of lessons I’ve ever taken. In hindsight, I should’ve taken more time before I bought any new set of irons.
After 4 years of playing the Rogue X irons, the difference in ball flight (very much higher) and shorter distance (loft related) was jarring, and to be honest, the minute I saw a set of the PXGs I was smitten.

After just a couple weeks, I got rid of them and bought the PXG’s in my sig. The PXG’s are great irons, but I’ve been struggling with my GIRs. The one thing the Halos were was accurate and so I decided to give them another try, but I made a few changes to the set.
This time I went 6-DW, and had Cleveland strengthen the lofts 2* to help with distance, and lower the ball flight a bit. So far, so good. The 4 was a disappointment back then, so it was an easy club to drop this time around. I’m thinking about eventually adding the 5, for but right now I’m loving the 4&5 hybrids I already have.
I’m not getting rid of my PXG’s, but these Halos are good medicine for my game right now. The loft adjustment seems to be working, and I’m used to the lighter more flexible shaft now.
Iron play has always been my Achilles heel. At worst the Halos are a great set to have when my gamers are misbehaving, and who knows? Maybe they could end up becoming the gamers? it looking like they might….
One way or the other though, this time they’re sticking around,

Last edited:
Yes, and yes.
I bought a set 4-PW last August (before the actual release date), 🙄 and it wasn’t a smart decision. I was in the middle of going from regular to Senior flex with all my clubs and I was also in the midst of the first series of lessons I’ve ever taken. In hindsight, should’ve taken more time before I bought.
After 4 years of playing the Rogue X irons, the difference in ball flight ( very much higher) and shorter distance ( loft related) was jarring, and I’ll be honest, the minute I saw a set of the PXGs I was smitten.

After just a couple weeks, I got rid of them and bought the PXG’s in my sig. Those are great irons, but I’ve been struggling lately with my GIRs. The one thing the Halos were was accurate and so I decided to give these another try, and I’m determined to give them a fair shake this time.
This time I went 6-DW, and had Cleveland strengthen the lofts 2* to help with distance, and lower the ball flight a bit. So far, so good. The 4 was a disappointment last time so I that was an easy club to drop this time. I’m thinking about eventually adding the 5, for but right now I’m loving the 4&5 hybrids I already have.
I’m not getting rid of my PXG’s, but these Halos are good medicine for my game right now. If nothing else, they’re a great set to have when my gamers are misbehaving, and who knows? Maybe they could end up becoming the gamers, who knows? One way or the other though, this time they’re sticking around,

Sounds good, SC LEFTY. I have my old set of HB3's as my trusty replacement. But, I want to give the Halo's a chance. I also have more difficulty with the 4. So, that was a good call on the new set. Hit both sets well this season!

Has anyone hit these against the t rail 2? I tried the t rail 7 iron last year and liked it. I ordered a 7 iron this year with a modus 120 shaft. I would be tempted to order a halo 7i with the modus 120 too.

Has anyone hit these against the t rail 2? I tried the t rail 7 iron last year and liked it. I ordered a 7 iron this year with a modus 120 shaft. I would be tempted to order a halo 7i with the modus 120 too.
I hit the T-Rails the same day I hit the Halos in the PGASS. They’re really good. The salesman gave me incorrect information. He said I could no longer order a partial set. Turned out he was wrong… if I knew then I could’ve ordered them 6-GW it would‘ve been a tough call.
The Cobra’s have a smaller head I believe. I think it just comes down to personal preference.

I don’t blame you for being frustrated but remember, this isn’t only a Cleveland issue. For example, I waited 18 weeks for my Ping driver. This board isn one to criticize OEMs but go on others and you’ll read horror stories about waiting on clubs from every company out there during the last year or two.
The thing with you though is I can’t understand what the hold up was. It’s not like you placed an exotic order, or that these clubs are flying off the shelves… I don’t get it. 🤷‍♂️
Anyway, enjoy your clubs, man! Hit ‘em well.
Got 2 rounds in with the new Halo clubs. Just about got the yardage dialed in. I like them. Straight as an arrow. I like that I can hit the high or low. Can do a little cut, but haven't been able to draw it. I can hook them, but not draw. Yet. Only need those shots for trouble. I like straight.
No gap wedge yet though. Ugh!

Yes, and yes.
I bought a set 4-PW last August (before the actual release date), 🙄 and it wasn’t a smart decision, both setup wise and in the fact the timing was wrong. I was in the middle of going down a flex with all my clubs and the first series of lessons I’ve ever taken. In hindsight, I should’ve taken more time before I bought any new set of irons.
After 4 years of playing the Rogue X irons, the difference in ball flight (very much higher) and shorter distance (loft related) was jarring, and to be honest, the minute I saw a set of the PXGs I was smitten.

After just a couple weeks, I got rid of them and bought the PXG’s in my sig. The PXG’s are great irons, but I’ve been struggling with my GIRs. The one thing the Halos were was accurate and so I decided to give them another try, but I made a few changes to the set.
This time I went 6-DW, and had Cleveland strengthen the lofts 2* to help with distance, and lower the ball flight a bit. So far, so good. The 4 was a disappointment back then, so it was an easy club to drop this time around. I’m thinking about eventually adding the 5, for but right now I’m loving the 4&5 hybrids I already have.
I’m not getting rid of my PXG’s, but these Halos are good medicine for my game right now. The loft adjustment seems to be working, and I’m used to the lighter more flexible shaft now.
Iron play has always been my Achilles heel. At worst the Halos are a great set to have when my gamers are misbehaving, and who knows? Maybe they could end up becoming the gamers? it looking like they might….
One way or the other though, this time they’re sticking around,

Snap!

I also have a set of Gen 3 XPs and a set of Halos.

Due to strong XP lofts I have 7-GW. My Halos are 4-PW, but usually I drop the 5 and sometimes the 6 for true hybrids. I use the 4 as a driving iron (it works better for than proper driving irons).

When I'm swinging well I strongly prefer the look and feel of the XPs. But when I'm swinging well I could probably use pretty much anything. I went through a golden patch a few months back with the Cobra Forged Tec, for example.

But at the moment I am not swinging well.

So on the weekend I put the Halos back in the bag and was 1 over off the stick after 13 until the regular late round collapse I've been suffering from of late.. But I had 3 birdies and more GIRs than I've had recently.

Thinking my swing may have turned the corner, I went back to the XPs today.

No corner was turned. My irons (and driver) were inconsistent again and it was only due to a very hot putter and less of a collapse that todays score was just two worse than Saturday.

Maybe I would have scored as well with the XPs on Saturday as I did with the Halos.

But the proof is on the scorecard.

In my current slump I think I need all the help I can get.

So the Halos are coming back out tomorrow.

Snap!

Due to strong XP lofts I have 7-GW. My Halos are 4-PW, but usually I drop the 5 and sometimes the 6 for true hybrids. I use the 4 as a driving iron (it works better for than proper driving irons).

When I'm swinging well I strongly prefer the look and feel of the XPs. But when I'm swinging well I could probably use pretty much anything. I went through a golden patch a few months back with the Cobra Forged Tec, for example.

So on the weekend I put the Halos back in the bag and was 1 over off the stick after 13 until the regular late round collapse I've been suffering from of late.. But I had 3 birdies and more GIRs than I've had recently.

No corner was turned. My irons (and driver) were inconsistent again and it was only due to a very hot putter and less of a collapse that todays score was just two worse than Saturday.

Maybe I would have scored as well with the XPs on Saturday as I did with the Halos.

I also use the 4 iron (2 degrees strong, so I assume it is a 2-3 iron really) as a driving iron. Pure monster. Still only have the 4 and 5 iron. I live in the DR and the rest of the set is still in US, coming down in May, cannot wait. Last time I played I used it on all par 4s and on the long ones I was expecting to hit my 5 iron, but I had short irons in on some of them (did not really want to use my old PingEye2s or Callaway x14s...) My mishits with these clubs (high on the face) lose quite a lot of distance but still goes straight. I loved my 5 wood earlier but when I mishit it it was trouble. Now with this 4 iron it is out of the bag... and btw, I made the loft on my 3 wood stronger. Theses irons are so fun to hit and cannot wait for the rest of the Halo set.

Got my Halos in yesterday.
I wanted to get some comparisons to the old Altitudes for anyone that might be interested.
My biggest takeaway is that the Halos have a longer blade length.
The way I measure I take a soft tape and start where the hosel starts to bend and go out to the end of the toe.
The Halos are about 3/16" longer blade length than the Tudes are. Even in the wedges.
I have the XP90R in the Halos and the Traction 85R in the Tudes. In terms of overall weight the Halos are about 6-11g heavier per club.
Perhaps that is a result of the 8g counterbalancing plug in the butt end of the Halos.

As you can see there this really shows the blade length difference. Being longer in the Halos

IMG_6357.jpg

IMG_6358.jpg

Tude on top. Halo on bottom. Think these were the 7i
IMG_6359.jpg

Big difference here in the profile.
IMG_6361.jpg

Visually the Tude looks crazy wide. But when measuring them the halo is not much thinner top line wise. Think they kinda hid it with the chamfer.
IMG_6362.jpg

Pitching wedges. Halo on top.
67211134785__DA2918E4-90ED-476A-87D3-B7EA8E5D617E.jpg

Halo lengths look about 1/8” longer
IMG_6364.jpg

6i at address.
IMG_6365.jpg

Halo DW vs smart sole G
IMG_6366.jpg

7i wear
IMG_6367.jpg

Like the cleaner look of the halo wedges. Wish they all didn’t have the black and blue
IMG_6369.jpg

IMG_6368.jpg

Bag full of drivers 😀
67211436730__1535A076-FA7F-4819-B74D-C10A32F47D64.jpg

Last edited:
One more pic I forgot to add above.
D8833B7A-FEEB-4763-A6EA-80D6EC815929.jpeg

I also use the 4 iron (2 degrees strong, so I assume it is a 2-3 iron really) as a driving iron. Pure monster. Still only have the 4 and 5 iron. I live in the DR and the rest of the set is still in US, coming down in May, cannot wait. Last time I played I used it on all par 4s and on the long ones I was expecting to hit my 5 iron, but I had short irons in on some of them (did not really want to use my old PingEye2s or Callaway x14s...) My mishits with these clubs (high on the face) lose quite a lot of distance but still goes straight. I loved my 5 wood earlier but when I mishit it it was trouble. Now with this 4 iron it is out of the bag... and btw, I made the loft on my 3 wood stronger. Theses irons are so fun to hit and cannot wait for the rest of the Halo set.

Yep. I went into my local club emporium the other week ready to spend up on a driving iron. I have hybrids that can cover the distance and I'm fine with hitting them from the deck, but I have issues with them from the tee.

I have a couple of free spots in the bag and wanted a tee club for a couple of longer par threes (depending on wind) and short par 4 at my club.

200 yards was my target.

I'd zeroed in on the SIM DHY after previous success with GAPRs and because it is supposed to be the most forgiving DI.

And I hit it well. I would have pulled the trigger when I saw a Halo 4 iron amongst a bunch of single irons. My existing Halo set was 5-PW.

I thought I may as well give it a whack. Even the sales dude who was hoping to sell me the DHY at double the price tipped his hat.

10-15 yards longer. Higher. More consistent. Preferred shot shape. Notably less offset.

The Halo is lower lofted than the DHY 4, and the shaft is a bit longer, and it is uglier.

But at half the price I don't mind using it as a specialty club and adding it for specific holes and wind conditions.

Yep. I went into my local club emporium the other week ready to spend up on a driving iron. I have hybrids that can cover the distance and I'm fine with hitting them from the deck, but I have issues with them from the tee.

I have a couple of free spots in the bag and wanted a tee club for a couple of longer par threes (depending on wind) and short par 4 at my club.

200 yards was my target.

I'd zeroed in on the SIM DHY after previous success with GAPRs and because it is supposed to be the most forgiving DI.

And I hit it well. I would have pulled the trigger when I saw a Halo 4 iron amongst a bunch of single irons. My existing Halo set was 5-PW.

I thought I may as well give it a whack. Even the sales dude who was hoping to sell me the DHY at double the price tipped his hat.

10-15 yards longer. Higher. More consistent. Preferred shot shape. Notably less offset.

The Halo is lower lofted than the DHY 4, and the shaft is a bit longer, and it is uglier.

But at half the price I don't mind using it as a specialty club and adding it for specific holes and wind conditions.

Offset, yes! I hate it. And yes, usually these kind of clubs have a lot but these do not. Cleveland as a brand is very underrated. Ugly, yeah the long irons, agree. Played blades once upon a time :oops:, but I think more and more players will play these kind of "irons" in the future. Might not look like irons, but performs like them so... Makes the game more fun if you do not play/practice several days a week.

Snap!

Unreal that we have the exact two sets. On another forum, someone asked why I would have two such “different” style irons.
My reply was almost exactly the same as your post here.

I’m really starting to love these things. It’s getting to the point where if I can’t play, I want to take them to the range (and trust me, I’m nvo range rat). I want to hit them every day! 🥰
They have been nothing but pure fun thus far. So forgiving, and I’m amazed at how much of a difference getting them 2* stronger has made. When I hit them solid, the ball flight and distance is perfect.
The one thing I have to be careful with though is hitting them thin. When I do, the ball takes off like a low flying missile that goes forever.

I’m thinking of getting the 5 iron now… which will lead eventually to the 4 hybrid, then the Hy-wood and aaagh!
Make it stop!

Is anyone getting a few outlier hits, with extra iron distance? I am not sure if it is my senior shaft occasionally kicking in with the whip of the club or it's a thing with the halo irons? My outlier shots go 30 yards further. Have really enjoyed chipping and pitching with these.

Is anyone getting a few outlier hits, with extra iron distance? I am not sure if it is my senior shaft occasionally kicking in with the whip of the club or it's a thing with the halo irons? My outlier shots go 30 yards further. Have really enjoyed chipping and pitching with these.
I’m thinking you’re just hitting them a little thinner than you want. That’s when i notice it happens with mine.

Its probably the shaft.

Its probably the shaft.

I have the graphite "stiff", and I like it, but it is far from the stiff I am used to. But with a smooth swing it works well. I can just imagine how "spaghetti" the Regular and Senior shafts are :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Back