Club Champion Question

My experience with CC was mixed, and agree, their prices are nutz!
Putter fitting: great results, shave a few strokes by shanging putters. Shorter, and from blade to mallet w/ toe hang.
Driver: OK, ended up in a shaft that I have fit myself to several times over the years, I've moved on from the head (425 LST ) to other LS heads and shaft still is "the One". Could have build myself for $100 less
Irons : Not sure they're working out, and build was not to the specs ordered, had to return to fix and was refunded 10% of my purchase cost With military discount and additional refund, about the same as buy from OEM, probbably about the same QC on spec.
I will say my local CC fitter has comp'd me some trackman time, so that's been nice to dial in some numbers.

My iron fittings were bad at CC. On two different occasions. Never was fit for a driver, they told me both times the driver I had was just as good as anything they could put me in, I did like that (I felt they were being honest and not just trying to put me into some pricey driver). Putter fitting was excellent as well, I was put in a Edel that had less loft (I dont forward press) and a basic alignment marking, it's been massive in my lag putting and being more aggressive at the hole.

It may be that Club Club Champion fitters rely more on observations of your swing instead of just going by the Trackman numbers.
It may be that their target market isn't ready yet to be judged by Trackman numbers like more experienced golfers.

Golf is a much mental as physical. It is hard to take out the mental biases when doing a fitting.

The more you know about clubs the harder it can be for some golfers to do an objective fitting.

I just had this same experience in a club Champion. I was very happy with my results and fitting. and I gained a lot of accuracy and a couple yards of distance. However when it came to the build my set for a full bag was almost $9,000.00. I too was put in a c taper KBS and I'm fine with that. however it was a lot more than I was expecting to pay. I get it that they are truly custom. where I have a hard time is they are charging me the 200.00 for the club then they are also adding the new shaft on top of that... plus their build price. I too was put in a D4 Swing weight.
I had a friend go to my local CC last week and he had the same issue that I did with driver that they fit him almost immediately into a ventus velecore shaft and the build just got crazy from there. I think the true profit for CC is convincing people that walk through that the stock heads are the exact same price as the stock heads and shafts that that the cost of the aftermarket shafts are 100% incremental to the price that you get quoted for one of the stock combinations. I really dislike that the profit incentive is in that direction because I think it highly influences the fitting.

Thanks for all of the replies. My friend ended up with PXG 0311 P Gen 5 irons and is very happy with them. I went for a fitting with him and really liked the 0311 P Gen 6 irons, but didn't order at that time so I paid the $25 fitting fee. I recently signed up for lessons at GolfTec and it included a fitting, so I got fit there as well. The best irons for me were the Titleist T150. Think I tried 4 different brands and the fitting experience was great!

With that fresh in my memory I went back for one more fitting with PXG to make a final decision. I ended up getting the PXG 0311 P Gen 6 irons with the Mitsubishi MMT 105 S shafts. I hit both the PXG and T150's very well, but the PXG offered a bit more forgiveness and with the MMT shaft my front/back dispersion was by far the best. Very happy with my decision and glad that I was able to try several different brands at my GolfTec fitting.

I have always assumed that CC Fitters had a commission-based compensation model, but I don’t know that to be true. I wonder what a fitting would cost if the fitting and club were completely separate, meaning the fitter wasnt in the business of building and selling clubs.

Last edited:
I have always assumed that CC Fitters had a commission-based compensation model, but I don’t know that to be true. I wonder what a fitting would cost if the fitting and club were completely separate, meaning the fitter want in the business of building and selling clubs.
They are to an extent. You are not required to buy any clubs from Club Champion or any other fitters.

PXG might not have all the shafts that CC has to offer but they have a wide selection of shafts and they have some really good fitters if you get the right one. If your a Vet or 1st Responder make sure you get the deal.

I went thru a CC iron fitting a few months ago. After cycling thru heads and shafts the fitter settled on my current irons with new shafts bent 2* flat.
It was only going to cost me $1400 for New shafts. Which is more than I paid for my set to begin with. Needless to say I didn't go for the shafts and just had my clubs bent 2* flat.

You might go to a place like PGASS and get fit there also. Atleast you can hit all the brands your looking at in 1 shot.

They are to an extent. You are not required to buy any clubs from Club Champion or any other fitters.
Correct which is a big reason I chose them... I was expecting them to be higher, ( just not quite that high) but I also knew I would get a quality fitting. I will say we tried a variety of others shafts stock and non stock, and mine were definitely giving me good numbers.

I wonder what percentage the fitter gets, in the $9000 set there's gotta be more than 50% profit 🤑 plus how many hands are taking a cut of that $9000... Sadly too many people are buying at this grossly inflatable price, not stopping any time soon from where I'm looking 😯

Club champion will be more $$$ by far… they charge for each component at full retail as well as a building fee.

I've watched a lot of instructional and fitting video by CC and am impressed with Matt as he seems to know what he's doing, I've never seen any cost of clubs so don't know what that charge would be but UpTo that point I would go to him if I could for a fitting 👏

I didn’t know. But a club champion opened in Reno around Christmas time.

I thought I had a pretty good fitting when I was at CC, I just didn't like the $ for the change of shafts.
My fitter took his time, Had me try 3 or 4 different heads then shafts. He took his time All in all it was a good fitting.
If I was looking to build a full custom bag I would consider going to CC. Just maybe lay out a few conditions on shaft choices.

I wonder what percentage the fitter gets, in the $9000 set there's gotta be more than 50% profit 🤑 plus how many hands are taking a cut of that $9000... Sadly too many people are buying at this grossly inflatable price, not stopping any time soon from where I'm looking 😯
its a premium service that charges a premium price. I guess I am just a sucker that is willing to spend the premium dollars for the premium fitting and the premium equipment knowing that I am getting a product built to my exact specifications. Club champion has save me so much money in the five years or so that I’ve been using them because I’m not buying shaft and cramp that may or may not work.

I’m going to give an analogy that I deal with every day regarding club, champion and their pricing. When we order a pressure transmitter, one required for a pharmaceutical facility, cost nearly $1000 more than the exact same one that goes into a chemical plant. We are talking $1500 versus $2500. They are made from the exact same components, and look exactly the same, but the one for Pharma uses the parts that have much tighter tolerances. In other words, when they receive a batch of parts, the ones that go into the Pharma transmitter perform to exact specifications. The ones that go in the cheaper transmitter still perform fine, but do not meet the tolerance level required for the Pharma ones. Club champion does the exact same thing. They don’t just go into their bin and pull the first six they put their hands on. Same thing with the heads. They are hand, selecting each part so that they can build a club as close to exact specifications as possible! There’s a premium price for that.

I’m going to give an analogy that I deal with every day regarding club, champion and their pricing. When we order a pressure transmitter, one required for a pharmaceutical facility, cost nearly $1000 more than the exact same one that goes into a chemical plant. We are talking $1500 versus $2500. They are made from the exact same components, and look exactly the same, but the one for Pharma uses the parts that have much tighter tolerances. In other words, when they receive a batch of parts, the ones that go into the Pharma transmitter perform to exact specifications. The ones that go in the cheaper transmitter still perform fine, but do not meet the tolerance level required for the Pharma ones. Club champion does the exact same thing. They don’t just go into their bin and pull the first six they put their hands on. Same thing with the heads. They are hand, selecting each part so that they can build a club as close to exact specifications as possible! There’s a premium price for that.
Very well put. Most won’t appreciate the difference, and that’s ok. This isn’t something for “most”.

its a premium service that charges a premium price. I guess I am just a sucker that is willing to spend the premium dollars for the premium fitting and the premium equipment knowing that I am getting a product built to my exact specifications. Club champion has save me so much money in the five years or so that I’ve been using them because I’m not buying shaft and cramp that may or may not work.
I agree with you in principle and I've recently bought a Mercedes B200 AMG, with the limited funds I wanted to spend I got a low 84000 klms Mint 06 model which is honestly more comfortable than my wife's new Mazda. I've always bought the best I could find within my budget, I've tried to do that with golf clubs plus spent thousands for lessons...

Back