Club Fitting Vs Club Demo'ing

Club Fitting Vs Club Demo'ing

• Club Fitting

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • Club Demo'ing

Votes: 11 36.7%

• Total voters
I know what I'm about to say is an unpopular opinion for THP, but here goes. Almost to the day 2 years ago, after reading nothing but rave reviews here and elsewhere, I went for a full bag fitting at Club Champion in Atlanta. Rarely have I been so excited in anticipation. I wrote a full description for y'all at the time, so I'll be brief here. For me to get a fitting, it's an all day deal since the closest fitter is an hour and a half away.

Long story short, it was an absolutely horrible experience and the worst money I've ever spent on golf. Nothing but a con man sales pitch worse than anything I've seen from used car salesmen, politicians, and TV preachers combined. I was absolutely livid on the long drive home. Thankfully, my club actually held a demo day a couple of days afterward and I went not expecting anything and quite honestly a bit down and skeptical. The Taylormade rep only wanted to work with the young, big hitters, Callaway and Cobra seemed to care less about my interest (I was playing Callaway woods and Cobra OL's at the time). The Mizuno rep took the time to talk with me about my game, preferences, and thoughts about clubs and shafts. He gave me the Mizuno fitting experience and I walked away with a recommendation for driver, woods, and hybrids, along with multiple shaft recommendations for irons.

Shortly after, my club pro set up several demo irons with different shafts, and I took them out on the course to test them. That led to me choosing my Recoil F3's for my 919 HM's. A friend of mine jokes that I'm living proof that you can indeed buy a game because I've played the best golf of my life the last 2 years. Once I knew the best driver specs for my swing, and the best length/lie for my irons, I chose the specific ones myself. I'm not saying I'd never, ever use a "professional" fitter again, but right now my attitude is "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." So, yeah, I voted option 2, club demo'ing.

I hear ya. Fitting is like golf instruction. There seems to be a lot more poor fitters than good ones. And it leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth when you pay good money for a service and feel like the results aren't there. Ive seen fitters who spent most of their time bagging other comapanies equipment. Or fitters that obviously were rushing through the process. The last driver fitting I was rushed into something that didn't feel like a great fit for me and the fitter seemed like he was put out to let me try something else.

It seems like a lot of people have a less than stellar experience with high dollar outfits like CC. But often are sheepish about the experience or try to rationalize why maybe they just had a bad session.

Option 3: take demo club (s) to the golf course.
This is what I was thinking as well. Not real feasible, but a much truer test. I feel that if given enough swings off the mat, I'd get into a good groove that would likely not translate onto playing a round of actual golf.

This is what I was thinking as well. Not real feasible, but a much truer test. I feel that if given enough swings off the mat, I'd get into a good groove that would likely not translate onto playing a round of actual golf.

Also, the "anxiety factor" is relevant. For example, the swing on the course one makes with a 7-iron from a down sloping lie when there is water left and bunkers to the right is usually quite different than the fifteenth 7-iron swing in a row from a synthetic mat during a fitting.

Last edited:
While I really have fun demo clubs, having an actual expert going thru each piece of equipment seeing what adjustments and changes I should be doing.

Fitting all day everyday.
I figure it this way, when I have car trouble, I take it to a car guy. Why not with clubs? I’m not qualified to this for myself, I’m barely qualified to adjust my swing on the course & I well Versed in what’s wrong with it.

Let’s go with the demo! I want to try different stuff. Besides that from what I’ve read a lot of fittings you have to get lucky to get a fitter that gives a rip, if not then it’s a cash grab and you’ve wasted your time, effort and money.
So let’s go club demo’ing!

Fitting all day everyday.
I figure it this way, when I have car trouble, I take it to a car guy. Why not with clubs? I’m not qualified to this for myself, I’m barely qualified to adjust my swing on the course & I well Versed in what’s wrong with it.
I agree with this as long as you've found a fitter, instructor, mechanic, physician, etc... who you can trust. I think I would be all in if that were the case. Unfortunately, just as there are dishonest or incompetent mechanics, there is a wide range of golf professionals. I love the idea of budgeting money for new equipment or improvement and having confidence that it is money well spent. I'd probably take lessons on a regular basis and make most equipment purchases through them.

There is a fitter I went to in 2019 who I have confidence in, but he lives a few hours away. Those in my immediate area are not trustworthy. Not saying they are incompetent or dishonest, only that I lost confidence in what they've sold me.

Option 2 is what I typically do. I would be interested to be fit by someone who I trusted however.

The LGS offers demo time free of charge, so I am constantly in there checking out new things during the off season.

Fitting if you can get a proper fitting. If it’s just hitting into a net with a guy looking at some numbers and saying, yeah, that’s the best, then I’ll go with option 2. Luckily I have access to quality fitting, and if I ever have to go down the hitting it into a net route, the place I buy from has a 90 day no quibble return policy.

#2 first to marrow down your options, then #1 letting the fitter know what you’re interested in. They can help determine if your preferred choices are right for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like #2 first, just to mess around with different options that I might not do otherwise. But when it comes to decision/commitment time it has to be #1. Any half-decent fitter will be able to direct you towards the correct product in a short period of time.

Honestly don't know. 2 is super fun and probably the preference. But it probably isn't the right way to choose the best clubs for my game.

Option 2. Like many people here, I know at least a little bit about what works and what doesn't for my game. Plus, the tinkering and figuring it out process is part of the fun for me.

This ^

I would be curious if #2 is a realistic option. I think a good fitter would get you where you need to be faster. While I had certain ideas of what could help me, there are certain aspects that can surprise you. Just like with the swing when you think you're doing certain things, but the video doesn't lie.

I think a good fitting would get you to clubs that work for you faster than you can on your own. Even higher handicappers are more consistent than they would imagine, and a skilled clubfitter can work with that.

I know what I'm about to say is an unpopular opinion for THP, but here goes. Almost to the day 2 years ago, after reading nothing but rave reviews here and elsewhere, I went for a full bag fitting at Club Champion in Atlanta. Rarely have I been so excited in anticipation. I wrote a full description for y'all at the time, so I'll be brief here. For me to get a fitting, it's an all day deal since the closest fitter is an hour and a half away.

Long story short, it was an absolutely horrible experience and the worst money I've ever spent on golf. Nothing but a con man sales pitch worse than anything I've seen from used car salesmen, politicians, and TV preachers combined. I was absolutely livid on the long drive home. Thankfully, my club actually held a demo day a couple of days afterward and I went not expecting anything and quite honestly a bit down and skeptical. The Taylormade rep only wanted to work with the young, big hitters, Callaway and Cobra seemed to care less about my interest (I was playing Callaway woods and Cobra OL's at the time). The Mizuno rep took the time to talk with me about my game, preferences, and thoughts about clubs and shafts. He gave me the Mizuno fitting experience and I walked away with a recommendation for driver, woods, and hybrids, along with multiple shaft recommendations for irons.

Shortly after, my club pro set up several demo irons with different shafts, and I took them out on the course to test them. That led to me choosing my Recoil F3's for my 919 HM's. A friend of mine jokes that I'm living proof that you can indeed buy a game because I've played the best golf of my life the last 2 years. Once I knew the best driver specs for my swing, and the best length/lie for my irons, I chose the specific ones myself. I'm not saying I'd never, ever use a "professional" fitter again, but right now my attitude is "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." So, yeah, I voted option 2, club demo'ing.

Hey come on up to casa ‘Smiter once the snow melts. I’m actually quite good at fitting others. The cost might be travel and a bucket of balls, but I’ll either mess you up worse, or fix you.

Good motto. “*** you worse or fix ya”

Not far from the truth though. I only know how to teach one thing. I’m good at teaching it. But the above is a good motto.

No I actually have given professional lessons. I won’t swerve you to far from the norm.

i think option 2 is the way to go...if you think about, it's still a fitting but the fitter doesn't drive the club/shaft choices...

Fitting. You don't know what you don't know until you know it.

If I was asked to pick the right shaft to get me more spin and lower launch I wouldn't have a clue, whereas the fitter who does this for a living knows exactly which shafts fit that bill.

For me, a fitting seemed worthwhile. I have not played with the fit clubs yet, but on the sim, I could not argue with the results.

Back