Club Fittings for Irons

Next time you're there, ask them why Trackman vs any monitor that can actually 'see' the ball using both doppler and high speed cameras therefore you are relying on a calculation to get all your numbers?

All launch monitors are using calculations indoors. TrackMan is fine if the fitter knows how to read the data and understand how strike can produce wonky numbers.

I am contemplating going to a Pga Tour Superstore instead of Club Champion for next iron set. Having gone through an iron fitting at Club Champion in Dec 2019, i know the shaft that i want and Callaway offers it in their Apex and Apex DCB irons. So, my thought is to go in choosing between Apex and Apex DCB with Recoil 65 Dart shafts. I don't need to start with a blank sheet of paper.

I was really happy with my pgass tour van fitting. My fitter was helpful with what he saw in my swing and I tried a butt load of irons and a few different shaft combos. I was kinda gassed at the end :sneaky:

My best advice to anyone looking to purchase clubs via the custom fitting process would be to find a fitter and go through the process without purchasing anything. Get as much information as you can from them about what specs they think fit you best. Wait a couple of weeks and then visit a second fitter and see how the process and results compare. If at all possible obtain a couple of demo clubs in between to use in a "real world" situation to judge your comfort level with them. Proceed with whichever fitting you feel more comfortable with the results of.
Other than the intermediate demo club suggestion, the above is what I was considering doing for my irons fitting. I've my LGS and, about 45 minutes away, a CC. The above seems like a rational approach and adds only about 10% to the overall cost--based on $1400 for a set of irons. Hitting demo irons in the interim costs merely time.

Of course, if the two fitters come up with wildly disparate results/recommendations: Then what? 🤪

Tenputt, I'm going to generalize about each of the three items you observed. So, please understand when I talk about the person being fitted, I'm generalizing not referring specifically to you or your experience.

1. I'm right there with you. Top fitters have told me about the importance of fitting with the ball you use. They've even gone as far as saying that if you haven't been fitted for a ball, do that first and then stick with that ball for the fitting and thereafter. From everything I know and have heard, this is a key piece that differentiates good from poor fitters and fittings.

2. This was a big red flag for me with one proviso. I've never had a good fitting that didn't involve some type of playing 20 Questions. It could be with a written questionnaire and then some review together and follow up questions at the beginning of the fitting, or it could all be done at the fitting. Whether it's written or verbal all good fitters have a pretty well developed plan of what information they need to collect. Here's the proviso. These same good fitters all report occasionally getting customers who insist on controlling the conversation and/or telling you their life story. A good fitter can and should lead the conversation. If you find you HAVE to lead, because they aren't that's a sign of a poor fitter. Head for the door if they don't engage. If you feel you need to control the conversation, don't be that guy. You are going to a fitter for THEIR expertise.

3. I once wondered about this too. I have had many conversations with some really good fitters that have given me some very logical explanations of how and why this works. (Too long to cover all of them here.) As others have indicated, the fitter is not evaluating your swing, they are fitting you for equipment. Suffice it to say that your height, weight, girth, and other physical characteristics, as well as the basic characteristics of your swing that relate to your fit are not going to change much based on the iron number you have in your hand, and to the extend it does, it's mostly an instruction issue and not a fitting issue.

I realize there are many of you who, as I once did, question the use of a 6-iron, as opposed to a different numbered club, or a variety of clubs, and I don't expect the short summary above to be enough to change your mind. It took several in depth conversations before I could see how and why this works. I only ask that you be open to the possibility and be willing to explore this further.

I am contemplating going to a Pga Tour Superstore instead of Club Champion for next iron set. Having gone through an iron fitting at Club Champion in Dec 2019, i know the shaft that i want and Callaway offers it in their Apex and Apex DCB irons. So, my thought is to go in choosing between Apex and Apex DCB with Recoil 65 Dart shafts. I don't need to start with a blank sheet of paper.

I've done a couple fittings a club champion and I'm torn. The last fitting I had there the suggestions were a bit "out there" compared to what I've been playing and I don't think I've been all that consistent with the setup. Turned out to be an expensive experiment. I think, especially if you have a strong inclination what you want, you can get dialed in pretty well somewhere else. Especially if you know which shaft you want.

To the OP, it sounds like your issue is the fitter more than the concept of iron fitting. I've been fit at a demo day indoors where they let me put dots on the ball.

Other than the intermediate demo club suggestion, the above is what I was considering doing for my irons fitting. I've my LGS and, about 45 minutes away, a CC. The above seems like a rational approach and adds only about 10% to the overall cost--based on $1400 for a set of irons. Hitting demo irons in the interim costs merely time.

Of course, if the two fitters come up with wildly disparate results/recommendations: Then what? 🤪

I would suggest instead of going to multiple fitters, find one that is good and stick with them. Find one that gives you trust in what they do and also relieves stress with playability guarantees and other pros by going through them.

Hopefully one of the sessions made you feel better than the other :rolleyes:

I know that this is not the first time that this subject has been raised. However, I have been thinking about a recent iron fitting experience that I had and wonder how beneficial they really are, as they currently seem to be done. Here are a few things that occurred and my thoughts:

1. The facility uses TrackMan, which I do not believe is the best launch monitor for indoor use. In order to obtain accurate data, the facility required me to use its ball, which had the little sticker dots on it, to permit the LM to read the ball accurately. I asked if I could use my own ball that I think suits me best and the answer was “no.”

2. The fitter did not want any of my input regarding what I know about my swing, including what my miss is when my swing is not optimal, my strengths, my weaknesses, my experience with what type of shaft characteristics work for me. He continued to say that he was the fitter, not me. I tried politely to us the analogy of going to the doctor. In my experience, the doctor will ask you to describe what your symptoms are and help him/her make the diagnosis.

3. I really wonder about the idea of having only a 6 iron to make a decision regarding what set of irons would work best for my game. The 6 iron is one of the least used clubs in my bag. With the last set of irons I played for about a year, the 6 iron was one of the best clubs in the set for me, but I struggled with the 9 iron and pw. It seems very difficult to me to be able to gauge how the scoring irons are going to work when only a 6 iron is available for the fitting. Having only a 6 iron also precludes the possibility of considering a blended set of irons.

I walked away wondering if the fitting was really all that beneficial. I think it would be very helpful for somebody who does not know equipment well or does not understand his/her swing characteristics, but for me, the only way I really think I know how well a set of irons works for me is to play them out on the course.

Am I being too critical or having too many expectations for a fitting (which I understand has to be standardized in order to make it a profitable business model)?

#2 is a red flag - hope you didn’t pay for it

I was fit at the ECPC during the ‘17 Grandaddy and we used a 6 iron for that fitting.
My fitter, Gerritt, said that the reason they used the 6 iron in the fitting is that if you can hit the 6 iron, you can hit anything...
Love the search option! I was trying to find out if they use the 6i like most other fittings or if if it was something different. I knew someone would have posted the answer! The fitting at ECPC is going to be 🔥

Love the search option! I was trying to find out if they use the 6i like most other fittings or if if it was something different. I knew someone would have posted the answer! The fitting at ECPC is going to be 🔥
Michael Scott Wink GIF

Back