Club Fittings for Irons

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.4
I know that this is not the first time that this subject has been raised. However, I have been thinking about a recent iron fitting experience that I had and wonder how beneficial they really are, as they currently seem to be done. Here are a few things that occurred and my thoughts:

1. The facility uses TrackMan, which I do not believe is the best launch monitor for indoor use. In order to obtain accurate data, the facility required me to use its ball, which had the little sticker dots on it, to permit the LM to read the ball accurately. I asked if I could use my own ball that I think suits me best and the answer was “no.”

2. The fitter did not want any of my input regarding what I know about my swing, including what my miss is when my swing is not optimal, my strengths, my weaknesses, my experience with what type of shaft characteristics work for me. He continued to say that he was the fitter, not me. I tried politely to us the analogy of going to the doctor. In my experience, the doctor will ask you to describe what your symptoms are and help him/her make the diagnosis.

3. I really wonder about the idea of having only a 6 iron to make a decision regarding what set of irons would work best for my game. The 6 iron is one of the least used clubs in my bag. With the last set of irons I played for about a year, the 6 iron was one of the best clubs in the set for me, but I struggled with the 9 iron and pw. It seems very difficult to me to be able to gauge how the scoring irons are going to work when only a 6 iron is available for the fitting. Having only a 6 iron also precludes the possibility of considering a blended set of irons.

I walked away wondering if the fitting was really all that beneficial. I think it would be very helpful for somebody who does not know equipment well or does not understand his/her swing characteristics, but for me, the only way I really think I know how well a set of irons works for me is to play them out on the course.

Am I being too critical or having too many expectations for a fitting (which I understand has to be standardized in order to make it a profitable business model)?

Doesn't sound like a great experience man. The 'fitter' wasn't a great fit, and maybe not a great fitter. I don't think you're being too critical.

I think you expose some of the limitations of fittings well. I don't think it's ever perfect, and works best as a comparison between two or more like things. Shafts, club heads, SW's, whatever. Gives you a sample to compare within those limited settings, including the ball. But it's as good a starting point as any, and what else can you do to start you in the right direction better? It's why I love when guys take advantage of the 90-day stuff though. I know you have, and that's honestly more valuable to me than any indoor data. Especially if you already know most of your general preferences and tendencies, and can only hit a 6-iron indoor. Everything with a 6-iron matters less to me than with a wedge, so that's what I want to see/get my hands on, but it's the middle ground and industry standard so what can you do other than take it for what it's worth and buy based on it or test further based on it (90-day type thing)?

I would add that I see it totally differently for a driver, where it is a single club and you are teeing it up, something that much more closely replicates normal conditions.

Doesn't sound like a great experience man. The 'fitter' wasn't a great fit, and maybe not a great fitter. I don't think you're being too critical.

I think you expose some of the limitations of fittings well. I don't think it's ever perfect, and works best as a comparison between two or more like things. Shafts, club heads, SW's, whatever. Gives you a sample to compare within those limited settings, including the ball. But it's as good a starting point as any, and what else can you do to start you in the right direction better? It's why I love when guys take advantage of the 90-day stuff though. I know you have, and that's honestly more valuable to me than any indoor data. Especially if you already know most of your general preferences and tendencies, and can only hit a 6-iron indoor. Everything with a 6-iron matters less to me than with a wedge, so that's what I want to see/get my hands on, but it's the middle ground and industry standard so what can you do other than take it for what it's worth and buy based on it or test further based on it (90-day type thing)?
The great thing with the 90 day is you usually get two exchanges. So, you literally could invest in two sets of irons and actually get to play six full sets for an extended tryout before having to settle on something. It leaves one set of irons that have to be sold at a loss, but it is a pretty good investment for those who are curious about real world performance.

@Tenputt, you've nailed some of my concerns about the potential value of a fitting. If I decide to acquire new irons this coming season I will get fitted, because the ±$150 cost will be only ±10% of the cost of the irons. But I think I'll regard the results more just another data point than gospel.

Esp. if the fitter wants to disregard my input. E.g.: When I bought my 58° wedge my club guy was of the opinion I should not have it lengthened as were the rest of my irons and wedges. This w/o seeing how I swung it. To me, it felt short. In doing practice swings over the carpeting it kept wanting to float over the top. So I had it lengthened anyway--though by 3/4 in. rather than a full inch. It works great for me.

I know that this is not the first time that this subject has been raised. However, I have been thinking about a recent iron fitting experience that I had and wonder how beneficial they really are, as they currently seem to be done. Here are a few things that occurred and my thoughts:

1. The facility uses TrackMan, which I do not believe is the best launch monitor for indoor use. In order to obtain accurate data, the facility required me to use its ball, which had the little sticker dots on it, to permit the LM to read the ball accurately. I asked if I could use my own ball that I think suits me best and the answer was “no.”

2. The fitter did not want any of my input regarding what I know about my swing, including what my miss is when my swing is not optimal, my strengths, my weaknesses, my experience with what type of shaft characteristics work for me. He continued to say that he was the fitter, not me. I tried politely to us the analogy of going to the doctor. In my experience, the doctor will ask you to describe what your symptoms are and help him/her make the diagnosis.

3. I really wonder about the idea of having only a 6 iron to make a decision regarding what set of irons would work best for my game. The 6 iron is one of the least used clubs in my bag. With the last set of irons I played for about a year, the 6 iron was one of the best clubs in the set for me, but I struggled with the 9 iron and pw. It seems very difficult to me to be able to gauge how the scoring irons are going to work when only a 6 iron is available for the fitting. Having only a 6 iron also precludes the possibility of considering a blended set of irons.

I walked away wondering if the fitting was really all that beneficial. I think it would be very helpful for somebody who does not know equipment well or does not understand his/her swing characteristics, but for me, the only way I really think I know how well a set of irons works for me is to play them out on the course.

Am I being too critical or having too many expectations for a fitting (which I understand has to be standardized in order to make it a profitable business model)?

#2 makes me upset. He didn't want to listen to you about YOUR swing? That is not a fitter I would go back to.

I have always wondered why a 6 iron. It makes no sense to me as many people don't even bag a 6 iron anymore.

I wouldn’t have been satisfied with that experience. I have an issue with #2 that you mentioned - the fitter who refused to listen to or acknowledge the input from you as to your understanding of your swing and equipment. Your analogy to a doctor’s appointment is spot on.

To some extent I can see the concept of the fitter wanting to get an untainted look at your swing. Maybe have you hit 10-20 balls before discussing misses/issues with your current club and what you are trying to protect against.

I am somewhat in the same spot with you regarding the 6 iron fitting. Most fitting carts/studios only do 6i or 7i so you are somewhat stuck with that. When I did my fitting last year at Cool Clubs I paid extra for the full guarantee. They wound up reshafting my irons after I played about 10 rounds with them. There was no question in the fitting that what they put me in was a good fit but when I got out on the course I think I was a bit more aggressive. We put a bit heavier shaft in and I wound up with better results. To me a fit guarantee is important if you are paying for the fitting and extra for the build.

I do agree your guy didn't sound like he had the best bedside manner.

that fitting doesn't sound productive to me, and I wouldn't go back to that person.

Did you pay for the fitting? If so, I'd either ask for a refit with a different fitter or a refund. Who am I kidding. I'd chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.

I have always wondered why a 6 iron. It makes no sense to me as many people don't even bag a 6 iron anymore.
I;ve long been a proponent for vendors to provide 4i / 7i / pw combo sets for fittings. Fitting iron to iron commparisons with the 7i as we do today and once you find a head that works, try the 4 and pw in that set with those shafts to see if it still works across the range. Would make combo sets so much easier to fit as well as confidence in single iron-head sets.

I;ve long been a proponent for vendors to provide 4i / 7i / pw combo sets for fittings. Fitting iron to iron commparisons with the 7i as we do today and once you find a head that works, try the 4 and pw in that set with those shafts to see if it still works across the range. Would make combo sets so much easier to fit as well as confidence in single iron-head sets.
Not to mention One Length sets are typically built around the 7i as well, as this becomes more popular I wonder if fitters will consider this. I know its not easy to get fit for OL right now

Amen, amen, and amen again to this. I could use a hybrid for a 6 iron and be indifferent to it. That is the last club in my bag that I solely usenfor full swings. I literally never hit any of the shots I hit with my scoring irons with a 6 iron. I don't understand why a 6 or 7 iron are used for fittings and why they have nothing else.

I get that it's best for us to get fit, but my analytical mind tells me there are a lot of things that don't make sense in the fitting process. Also the more a golfer knows (like you) then the fitter should be fine tuning and helping with the advanced issues not treating you like an infant who doesn't know anything. I would have demanded my money back.

I would add that I see it totally differently for a driver, where it is a single club and you are teeing it up, something that much more closely replicates normal conditions.
I feel like what we really get with iron fittings is the best thing they could come up with in a stall that was built to fit people for drivers.

This post scared the crap out of me, then I saw you later post that you think it's worth it for a driver fitting that I'm going to do as soon as they have all the lefty drivers in to try.

Curious, what irons/shaft did he fit you into and what was your thoughts on that result?

Upon reaching #2, I would have ended the session right there and the supervisor of the fitter would have been involved in the conversation. Based on the amount of time into the session, a refund would have been brought into the discussion also. Yup total Karen at that point.

i too struggle with the 6-iron fitting concept. i understand it's done because that is when swing issues can pop up, but also that for cost reasons the store can't keep inventories of every single head and shaft length. there just seems like there's a better system out there.

@Tenputt i'm sorry you had such a d-bag for a fitter. last time i checked, you're the one plunking down the plastic, you're the one spending what little free time you have on the course with these clubs, NOT him. i'd be tempted to find a respectful but direct way to let him or his superiors know that his approach and attitude are a big problem.

This post scared the crap out of me, then I saw you later post that you think it's worth it for a driver fitting that I'm going to do as soon as they have all the lefty drivers in to try.

Curious, what irons/shaft did he fit you into and what was your thoughts on that result?
Mine was kind of unique situation. I became intrigued with the XXIO irons that @JDax was considering and, ultimately chose in his thread where he shared his experience with THP. I saw a set of the same irons for sale on eBay and put a bid in on them, thinking they might be a fun experiment if I could get them for my bid. I was surprised when nobody else placed a bid and I got them on the cheap. The first practice session, the 7 iron shaft snapped. Not many retail outlets carry XXIO product, but this fitter does, so I went in to see if I could find a shaft that would work really well with that head and pair them together, intending to use them as a backup set. However, I had the option to return the irons to the retail outlet who sold me the irons through eBay, so I told the fitter that I was open to whatever worked best.

It turned out that the XXIOs and the Apex Pros were both stellar, although for different reasons. I ended up leaving the XXIOs with the fitter for the reshaft ( using Fuji Pro 95 stiff shafts). I am still waiting for the irons.

Eff that noise.

My fitter asks me to bring the golf balls I use and he puts the silver dots on those.

I use a 7i for fittings. I wish they had the set but that's tough.

Some fitters give you a lesson during your warmup. Mine says, No, I'm just the fitter. But we will discuss the issues I'm working on and if I plan on improving quickly so these clubs work, or whether this is my swing and I don't plan on changing it.

@Tenputt I am interested on your comments around Trackman. My club has an indoor Trackman simulator setup for the winter and we hit balls without any special marks on them. I did some testing in the THP ball test and noticed differences in performance among the different balls. I also find that the carry distances are about what I experience on the course.

@Tenputt I am interested on your comments around Trackman. My club has an indoor Trackman simulator setup for the winter and we hit balls without any special marks on them. I did some testing in the THP ball test and noticed differences in performance among the different balls. I also find that the carry distances are about what I experience on the course.
I am totally convinced that indoors, TrackMan is not as good as GC Quad. It will estimate numbers without the stickers. That being said, I use it frequently through my winter work on my swing. I have a facility for indoor practice and TrackMan is their launch monitor of choice, so that is what I have available to me. I think it is EXTREMELY helpful in working on different aspects of one’s swing. Last year, I worked on club path throughout the winter. The feedback with numbers truly helped me and I shot the best scores of my life, even though I don’t have nearly the swing speed I once had.

I was fit at the ECPC during the ‘17 Grandaddy and we used a 6 iron for that fitting.
My fitter, Gerritt, said that the reason they used the 6 iron in the fitting is that if you can hit the 6 iron, you can hit anything...

I was fit at the ECPC during the ‘17 Grandaddy and we used a 6 iron for that fitting.
My fitter, Gerritt, said that the reason they used the 6 iron in the fitting is that if you can hit the 6 iron, you can hit anything...

Not 100% certain I agree with that. I can't hit 3 iron anymore. But I do agree there is more value than if you got fit with an 8 or 9 iron.

Sounds like a bad fitting. I go to a place that is indoor and uses Trackman 4. Outside of some weird smash numbers with irons for my kid (distance was still dead on so he might do it anyways?) everything seems to be exactly what I’d see on the course.

I don’t know the difference between generations so maybe these are better inside or something but I’ve had no issues. I did put some dots with a sharpie on the totally blank test balls as I wasn’t sure if it would pick it up ok. I hit one without it being marked as well and everything seemed inline even without that point of reference for it.

I’m pretty confident that these ones are good to go.

Back