Club Head Speed Question For All?

mact3333

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, I was wondering what the 7 iron swing speed equivalent would be for a guy that swings driver 97-100 mph???

I know from the laugh monitor I swing driver 97-100 mph and it goes anywhere from 240-270 yards.

But my 7 iron swing in my house with radar is only 74-78mph....does this sound about right?...been hitting 7 iron between 140-150 yards lately.

I am hitting my irons a full club shorter these days for whatever reason but my scores still decent as I am clubbing up a lot.

I know I can swing my irons harder but I don't make consistent contact when I do this on the course...on the range I can swing harder but the consistency is gone on the course so I tend to swing at 75-80%.

So the question is, is my 7 iron swing speed abnormally slow compared to my driver swing speed???

Please feel free to move if post in wrong section.

Forgot to add, all my clubs(woods) have stiff shafts but my irons are regular KBS tour 90 shafts.

73 years young with 85-88 mph driver speed for 220 - 230 yds. Ping G400 LST 10 * regular Ping Tour 65 shaft. Irons are Wilson Staff C200 with KBS Tour 90 regular shaft with 7 iron speed 66 mph. I hit it 135 carry and 140 - 144 yds total. Your 7 iron yardage sounds ok, maybe a scoch short for your 7 iron club head speed. My 7 iron is 32 degrees.

My driver swing speed is the same as yours. My 7 iron swing speed is around 78 to 82, depending on the 7 iron. With many of the launch monitors, I believe ball speed may be a more accurate measurement. My driver balls speed is around 142. My 7 iron ball speed is 114 to 116, which as I understand it, is pretty efficient relative to my swing speed.

I play in the Salt Lake City area, where the air is thinner with higher altitude. Keeping that in mind, my 7 iron carry is about 160, give or take. That may or may not be helpful to you.

Is the 97-100 MPH driver swing speed known or estimated?

74 MPH 7 iron and 97 -100MPH driver don't appear to go with each other. 100 MPH driver should be 80+ MPH irons.

Dave

I think your numbers do seem a bit off.

The other thing Mact3333 isn't telling people is it wasn't always this way, it's something that snuck into his game this season.

Last edited:
My 6 iron speed during my fitting was 80 mph and my driver speed was 95 mph. I think my 7 iron speed was 75 mph.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Its clear I have some leak in my iron play, but the cause is abit more elusive.

Normally I would say I have a "new" technical fault causing power a leakage in my irons, but as T4K can attest to, I have always had a faulty poor but repeatable swing, so I didn't think it was that.

I must be doing something wrong and different with my irons cause last time I was at GS on their launch monitor I was swing 7 iron 75 mph, my 3 hybrid 100mph and driver 97 mph....does seem like my iron swing is abit slow in comparison.

Think I will take the swing speed radar with me to the range and see what 7 iron swing is doing while actually hitting a ball. Other odd thing I am seeing is while I take 7 iron divots on the grass range, on the course the divots are small/shallow or non existent...that must say something too.

Your swing looks the same to my naked eye and the ball isn't doing anything dramatically different than before (i.e., you still mostly play a draw...maybe it has straightened out some). I wonder if something like casting is going on. It wouldn't look much different but it could sap distance (speed?) from your swing. Does it feel like you are compressing the ball the same as last season?

My driver swing speed is the same as yours. My 7 iron swing speed is around 78 to 82, depending on the 7 iron. With many of the launch monitors, I believe ball speed may be a more accurate measurement. My driver balls speed is around 142. My 7 iron ball speed is 114 to 116, which as I understand it, is pretty efficient relative to my swing speed.

I play in the Salt Lake City area, where the air is thinner with higher altitude. Keeping that in mind, my 7 iron carry is about 160, give or take. That may or may not be helpful to you.

Same, though here on the boast I only get about 150/155 of carry with my 7 iron.

Its clear I have some leak in my iron play, but the cause is abit more elusive.

Normally I would say I have a "new" technical fault causing power a leakage in my irons, but as T4K can attest to, I have always had a faulty poor but repeatable swing, so I didn't think it was that.

I must be doing something wrong and different with my irons cause last time I was at GS on their launch monitor I was swing 7 iron 75 mph, my 3 hybrid 100mph and driver 97 mph....does seem like my iron swing is abit slow in comparison.

Think I will take the swing speed radar with me to the range and see what 7 iron swing is doing while actually hitting a ball. Other odd thing I am seeing is while I take 7 iron divots on the grass range, on the course the divots are small/shallow or non existent...that must say something too.

One of the readings, either driver or irons, appears wrong. Was your iron swing speed actually measured or was it ball speed divided by 1.45?

Dave

I was surprised my nearest PGA superstore didn't measure actual swing speed, only ball speed. I always assumed swing speed would be a much better indicator of one's actual swing speed, as opposed to using ball speed to measure swing speed.

I agree. Your 7i swing seems a little slower than it should be and I think Frank is probably onto the likely reason, some cast and/or flip. I have the same problem but to a slightly lesser degree. My driver speed is usually 90-95 (225-240 is typical) and my 7 iron is usually 78-80 (155). I notice similar shallow divots and a much less solid feel whenever I fall into the cast/flip trap. There are all too rare rounds when my sequencing is better and I feel much solider impact and all my clubs seem to be about 1.5 clubs longer. I've been told by one of my golf buddies that he can always tell when I'm about to hit a great shot whenever he sees me lead my downswing with my lower body and just let my arms and the club lag behind. Oh and golf is so insidious that when I consciously try to do that I often get myself stuck and can hit some gawdawful flip hooks, tops, or shanks.

The radar is really only going to be accurate to itself so don't base your thoughts off of the 7 iron using the radar and the driver on a launch monitor. Use the radar for both and go from there. Seems 20% slower than driver is normal but I don't know for sure and has a lot to do with shaft weight ect.

Well I know why I am hitting my irons shorter...I am swinging slower...radar swing speed at range while hitting actual balls was 70-75 mph with 7 iron...when I previously said I was swinging 7 iron 74-78 mph I was talking about inside my house without a ball...with a ball at the range its slower.

Odd cause I haven't lost any distance or swing speed with driver or woods , only my irons....must be a combination of swinging slower and casting.

Hmm...those recoil shafts looking a lot more intriguing now....:).

Back