Cobra King Forged Irons Preview

reality set in tonight, and even though i took the same clubs to the driving range that rickie fowler plays, i think the seller forgot to ship rickie's swing to me. yikes...

a nice, cold, harsh reminder of what very little golf will do to a man, and also why forgiveness and tech design are our friends. bad swings were punished and punished well.

on my best swings, the forged were about a half club shorter than the kftb. i'm ok with that. and i would really say that the kftb terrible swings were not that much better than the forged terrible swings. fat contact is going to be a big problem. the wider sole of the kftb definitely bailed me out on a few bad swings, whereas the same bad swings with the forged were very short.

length wise the ftb are only about 1/8th of an inch shorter.

funny thing is after hitting a bunch of forged balls in a row, swapping in the ftb was a major adjustment with its larger footprint and greater offset. i found it much easier to release the forged, whereas with the kftb i am holding it off.

i'm still looking forward to getting a round in with the forged, but i'll say my expectations were definitely brought down after tonight's abysmal range session.

Last edited:
weather permitting, i'm planning on heading to the range tonight for some head-to-head between these and my gamers (cobra king forged tec black).

i'm thinking pw, 7i and 5i. i'll laser some targets and try to get a feel for distance disparities between the two. and i'll try to snag some address pics as well.

EDIT: i'm also going to bring my gamer 6i and 8i, because those lofts stack up much better. so it will be 5i v 5i, then 5i v 6i. 7i v 7i, then 7i v 8i. but pw v pw because those are only 1* apart.

whatever it is, it will be fun.

Thanks for the comparison, I enjoyed reading your thoughts about them head to head. I've never hit either the Forged or the FTB, but I really like the look of the top line and minimal offset of the Forged. I hope they do well for you on the course.

some fun with the 7i today. i did a quick-fire range session to test some woods, but worked in the 7i for about 20-25 of the shots. hit some really great-feeling draws and cuts. i love how high these launch, and that beautiful feel at impact. tendency seems to be to go a little left, so i want to get these to my club guy for a quick lie assessment. they feel so damn good, though.

Tell Mike I said hello

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I need to get out and play. Hopefully Friday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pretty damn impressive first round with these. mishits result in 1-2 clubs of distance loss. no surprise there.

but i found the long irons really playable. hit greens with 3i and 4i no problem. also backed up a pw about 8’.

feel is so great, and shaping is a breeze.

i still don’t know if i have the game for these. but as well as i played with these today, i’m definitely going to give them a shot.

pretty damn impressive first round with these. mishits result in 1-2 clubs of distance loss. no surprise there.

but i found the long irons really playable. hit greens with 3i and 4i no problem. also backed up a pw about 8’.

feel is so great, and shaping is a breeze.

i still don’t know if i have the game for these. but as well as i played with these today, i’m definitely going to give them a shot.

Out of curiosity, what are looking for with these compared to the FTBs? I know this started as a fun experiment (didn't you get a great deal?), but what is it that would make you game these longer term? Increased workability, accuracy, preferred look at address?

It's awesome hearing your experience with these, I just realized I'm a little short on context when following along.

Out of curiosity, what are looking for with these compared to the FTBs? I know this started as a fun experiment (didn't you get a great deal?), but what is it that would make you game these longer term? Increased workability, accuracy, preferred look at address?

It's awesome hearing your experience with these, I just realized I'm a little short on context when following along.

i have wanted these irons since @tadashi70 first went to the pre launch event back in 2016 (i think).

then i got a wild hair to build a display bag to honor my morgan cup experience. some clubs i received, and some that just look pretty. these king forged would fit the latter.

but i think you’re asking “why would i game these over the kftb?” the answer quite honestly is there is no reason other than a size preference. i hit two flushed shots with the kftb that felt every bit as good as the king forged, and that’s my honest opinion.

something about the size of the forged makes me feel like i can release them more aggressively than the kftb. maybe that has something to do with offset as well, which i think is very prominent in the kftb.

i’m not sure that i’ll game these forged long term. if i see ongoing success, i might. but the fact is i don’t have a great short game. a missed green is generally a bogey, maybe worse. so i need forgiveness, and it’s absolutely not there with the king forged.

i have wanted these irons since @tadashi70 first went to the pre launch event back in 2016 (i think).

then i got a wild hair to build a display bag to honor my morgan cup experience. some clubs i received, and some that just look pretty. these king forged would fit the latter.

but i think you’re asking “why would i game these over the kftb?” the answer quite honestly is there is no reason other than a size preference. i hit two flushed shots with the kftb that felt every bit as good as the king forged, and that’s my honest opinion.

something about the size of the forged makes me feel like i can release them more aggressively than the kftb. maybe that has something to do with offset as well, which i think is very prominent in the kftb.

i’m not sure that i’ll game these forged long term. if i see ongoing success, i might. but the fact is i don’t have a great short game. a missed green is generally a bogey, maybe worse. so i need forgiveness, and it’s absolutely not there with the king forged.

The display bag is a really cool idea! Doing that and wanting to try them are completely legitimate reasons on their own, aside from any performance aspect.

Great answer related to performance. If nothing else, I think that's a great testament to the quality of the FTBs. Interesting you mention being more aggressive with them. I felt the same way the one time I hit the forged in store, but I thought maybe that was just launch monitor bravado coming out.

Anyways, love all the feedback you have on these (and FTBs!)

I’m still loving my Forged Pro combo action. My only regret is not going Forged Tec with my 6i. I am definitely missing the added forgiveness there. My MB wedges and the rest of the CB’s are perfection. They have felt even better lately after finding some old swing thoughts that have led to much better strikes and compression off the face. Other than maybe ordering another 6i to throw in there I can’t see changing anything with the irons in my bag anytime soon.

I’m still loving my Forged Pro combo action. My only regret is not going Forged Tec with my 6i. I am definitely missing the added forgiveness there. My MB wedges and the rest of the CB’s are perfection. They have felt even better lately after finding some old swing thoughts that have led to much better strikes and compression off the face. Other than maybe ordering another 6i to throw in there I can’t see changing anything with the irons in my bag anytime soon.

Yea this past week you were hitting these nice and pure and it was a good sight to see!

Really cleaned my OL irons the other day and they look just as good as when I took them out of the box.

BTW. OL numbers were scary good on the GCQuad.

5i was going around 175-180 which is about right for my swing speed.
Slightly lower launching but nothing to be worried about (maybe 2 degrees lower than my 7i).

The Gap Wedge was 110-115 yards making the gapping spot on (~10 yard increments).

I need to get my whole bag in there sometime soon.

Really cleaned my OL irons the other day and they look just as good as when I took them out of the box.

BTW. OL numbers were scary good on the GCQuad.

5i was going around 175-180 which is about right for my swing speed.
Slightly lower launching but nothing to be worried about (maybe 2 degrees lower than my 7i).

The Gap Wedge was 110-115 yards making the gapping spot on (~10 yard increments).

I need to get my whole bag in there sometime soon.

is this about the forged tec black irons?

this head, with kbs tour 120 s flex shafts, and golf pride mcc plus 4 grips, may be the best m-f'ing feeling combo i've ever hit. i hit about 60 balls on the range tonight with just the 7i. moon balls, punch shots, slices, hooks, fades, draws, 1/2 shots, 1/4 shots, it absolutely didn't matter. these do everything. there are so many times i hit a shot and my reflex is to just laugh out loud with how awesome the trajectory is, and how amazing the feeling is. i love my forged tec black, and i won't get rid of them, but i will be putting these in the bag asap until my scores go completely to sh1t.

smacked around a medium bucket after dinner, just with pw and 5i. pw wants to go farther left than i care for, and i can't cut it. 5i was inconsistent in distance and direction. contact was pretty good, but i hit some DEEP hooks, and some super short cuts. not a bunch of confidence with that iron yet. i need to get to my club guy for a l/l/l analysis.

Got to play with C.A. today and i hit my sticks pretty well yet again. Wasn’t scoring but man these cut through the rough down in FL so nicely! Just continue to love he feel and consistency

rough day with these today. hit a couple good shots but lots of bad shots. i’ll keep them in the bag for a few more rounds but at my skill level they’re a novelty more than a long term gamer.

got on a monitor with these. smash was pretty low on flightscope, high 1.2s low 1.3s. good shots were in the 170 range, which was kind of surprising. misses were much shorter, and if i didn't turn it over i got a shot that felt great but fell short of the 170 mark. the fitter said my launch angle was great, and dispersion was good (except on misses obvi), and spin was on the low side but not awful. if i fall in love with these, we might look to put modus 105 stiff in them.

Back