Completely Down the Rabbit Hole

That post

aka GolfOrElse
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Boycotting
I’ve become aware over the past few hours how completely and totally I have fallen head first down the golf equipment and accessories rabbit hole.

It’s been less than 3 years since I returned to golf and in the least surprising development ever I’m hopelessly obsessed. My personality type is obviously to go ALL IN on my hobbies and golf has been no exception at all.

In the past 2.5 years I’ve had 4 iron sets, 5 drivers, 3 or 4 different brand wedges, 5 putters, tested well over 15 golf balls, tested several different gloves to find the best fit, I don’t even want to talk about shoes. I’m picky when it comes to shoes and have tried plenty.

What made me realize I’m completely down this incredible rabbit hole is thinking how I’m going to start the golf season this spring with 5 different OEM’s in the bag and several new clubs. Then I thought about the 5-6 different golf balls I’ll actively be testing before the season starts. Then my mind wondered to shoes and trying desperately to find that one unicorn model that checks all the boxes so I can order every color ever made.

I know, I know I’m not alone and
:welcome:

Let’s talk about how we came to understand we are completely obsessed and got our boarding passes to the Lunatic Fringe.

I had an entire closet full of the stuff I didn't even have time to play and won a THP post drive contest.

Yep. 😆 That's pretty much it. No denying it after that. #Lunatic

Oh I didn’t even mention the 4 different range finders, every iteration of ShotScope, several golf apps, mountains of different tees, etc….

Edit- not golf equipment related but proof of Lunatic card…. I deleted 60gb of golf swing video this morning.
and still have 100gb left

Haha, i bought TSR2 woods just because i got T150 irons, so wanted to make an all-Titleist bag just for fun. I actually really like my Srixon woods. This was totally unnecessary.

I have more balls than i could lose in 5 seasons.

My golf pro buys extra bags for stock in the pro shop because i buy so many of them myself (this is 100% true BTW)

200.gif

I love this!!! Welcome to the rabbit hole.

A few weeks ago I realized that my current driver set-up cost me more than my first car.

A few weeks ago I realized that my current driver set-up cost me more than my first car.

Haha that's awesome! I think my whole bag cost more than my first car , but driver setup is great

Not sure I did the equipment rabbit hole stuff.But my wife caught me doing shadow arm swings while grocery shopping.While driving I’d see great places where a golf course could be.Which drives her nuts as well.Oddly cemeteries have the best land

Definitely down the rabbit hole. What I think is funny is that I don't buy feel like I buy a ton, but my golf stuff seems to multiply like bunnies.

Love it.

My lunatic fringe aspect is more intermittent. Right now I am thinking about buying a new road bike instead of new clubs this year, but once I switch back to practice and equipment geeking modes (~ Feb 1st), I suspect my priorities may shift abruptly.

But my wife caught me doing shadow arm swings while grocery shopping
Are you even a golfer If you haven’t pretended to hit a wedge shot in the chip aisle?

Nice sounds like you’re not gonna get out of this easily!

I’ve gotten better, but what do i know? I just ordered a couple clubs (albeit used) that i can’t even swing for 8-10 or more weeks.

Back in 2012 I quit playing because it consumed me. I couldn’t afford to keep up with the obsession. When I started playing again around 2020, my career was much more stable and I decided to get back into it. I went through 5 sets of irons before I decided to get a Titleist fitting at my country club. That was it. Best fitting experience I’d had and I was hooked on making sure I was that satisfied after every fitting. Had a great fitting before the Titleist event, then about a month or so after that I had a Vokey fitting through Titleist. I’d fallen in love with a brand through their fitting experiences and meeting the incredible people that design the clubs. I still tinker with other brands when I’m curious about a club they’ve released, but I don’t obsess over every little thing about my bag anymore. In a lot of ways the people on this board help with that because through THP, you know you’re getting great reviews and solid first hand experiences when equipment is released.

I don’t have you beat but been a member of THP now for 11 years and I have averaged a new iron set and driver each year during my time here.

On the subject of apparel, golf shoes and hats, in the mid teens and that is after an annual purge. Polos I am easily north of 60 would be my guess.

I have almost new shorts that haven’t seen the course in probably 3 or 4 years. I say every January that I am happy with my bag then boom, new releases and I am easy prey. At least this year I didn’t wait until January, I beat the rush early and bag was updated by end of November.

It is certainly is hard to resist at times.

In a lot of ways the people on this board help with that because through THP, you know you’re getting great reviews and solid first hand experiences when equipment is released
Yep THP is definitely like dumping rocket fuel on the obsession. 😃

The Blacklist Applause GIF by NBC

The first step is admitting you have a “problem” 😂😜😂

Last edited:
Indecision may or may not be your problem!

You people are whacko. I think I will go out in the garage and sort through my multiple sets to try to settle down.

I have 6 pairs of shoes in the trunk of my car…cause I never know what the weather will be like here in North Florida….All Footjoys, couple of BOA types….then I got talked into trying some Sketchers, so those are waiting in my bedroom. I’ve got 3 sets of clubs, 5 bags, multiple drivers, several brands of hybrids (sets in 18 and 21 degrees)….had a cigar ash put a little hole in my new pants today, so just ordered 3 more to replace the 1 pair….ugh.

Back