Copper Rock Golf Course in Hurricane, UT

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.4
This course opened a few years ago. It is located in the St. George, Utah area, and hosts and LPGA event, as well as the LPGA Senior Championship this year. Who has played it? What are your thoughts?

I played it last summer. It's obviously not as good as Sand Hollow, but I really enjoyed the course and it was a great value for what we paid at the time. Was a fair enough layout, but still challenging enough. Rather open off the tee, which I appreciated.

I think they are working on a new clubhouse, but it was a loooooong cart ride from the clubhouse to the first tee when I was there, which was my only complaint.

I played it last summer. It's obviously not as good as Sand Hollow, but I really enjoyed the course and it was a great value for what we paid at the time. Was a fair enough layout, but still challenging enough. Rather open off the tee, which I appreciated.

I think they are working on a new clubhouse, but it was a loooooong cart ride from the clubhouse to the first tee when I was there, which was my only complaint.
I liked it. If the infrastructure is fixed it could be great.

This course opened a few years ago. It is located in the St. George, Utah area, and hosts and LPGA event, as well as the LPGA Senior Championship this year. Who has played it? What are your thoughts?
I played it last year. I love this course. Super fun.

The back story of this course is fascinating. I kinda dug the small club house.

Interesting that you say that it “obviously [is] not as good as Sand Hollow.” The facilities clearly are not as good and I would agree that the long cart ride would not be my preferred layout. Finally, it does not have the spectacular red vistas that Sand Hollow offers. However, simply in terms of the golf course itself, I think that Copper Rock is a much better track than Sand Hollow.

I actually came away thinking that it is one of the best courses that I have ever played. I really enjoyed it, even though the greens vexed me throughout the round.

Interesting that you say that it “obviously [is] not as good as Sand Hollow.” The facilities clearly are not as good and I would agree that the long cart ride would not be my preferred layout. Finally, it does not have the spectacular red vistas that Sand Hollow offers. However, simply in terms of the golf course itself, I think that Copper Rock is a much better track than Sand Hollow.

I actually came away thinking that it is one of the best courses that I have ever played. I really enjoyed it, even though the greens vexed me throughout the round.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed Copper Rock. I will fully admit to being heavily swayed by the surroundings at Sand Hollow on the back 9. It's really just one of my favorite courses that I have played. Totally understand the love for Copper Rock though.

I have played Sand Hollow a few times but Copper Rock just once. Agree vistas at SH are breathtaking and that aspect ascends higher on my pros list than for many. Each time at Sand Hollow I found the conditions lacking somewhat, maybe they just get too much play. CR however was pristine. If I were going back, I'd want to play them both and if I had to pick one, it would be a coin toss.

IMG_6491.jpeg

It is this type of challenge that made Copper Rock so interesting to me. It reminds of the mental picture I have of courses like a Bandon Dunes. The fairways are often so wide, but yet divided by huge waste bunkers. It creates different challenges and ways to play the hole. On the example above, which is on the back 9, I didn’t feel I could carry the main bunker on the left, but could quite easily carry the one on the right. However, the bunker on the right is elevated enough that you can’t see the landing area beyond the bunker. I hit my ball over the right bunker and had a really good approach look with a gap wedge into the green. There are so many holes like this on the course where you have to give some thought to your strategy.

I really enjoyed this course. While there are not the vistas and viewpoints like the back 9 at Sand Hollow, it is every bit as challenging if not more so. I think the front 9 at Sand Hollow is somewhat lacking, the entire course at Copper has decisions to be made like you've mentioned @Tenputt. There seem to be a lot of risk/reward shots at Copper. It simply makes you think and decide where to put your tee shot, even though it looks inviting on some holes. I haven't played it much lately, because the costs are just going up and up from where it was, but I have enjoyed it when I've played. (Well except once when the winds were 35-40mph. Made it the hardest course I'd ever played with that wind)

Last edited:
played there last fall with my wife on our way to st george . its like are we lost while driving there but we enjoyed it nice layout and staff were friendly . i find when i play in enviroments like copper rock i have trouble with my depth perception or perception of distance ...

Back