Could You Go Side Saddle?

Definitely doable. I've moved away from it for now but can't say I won't ever go back.

@Wkndhookr let a bunch of us at the 2022 Budget Golf Championship roll his putter the first night. It’s a bit odd at first just cause it’s not something I’ve tried before, but given some time to adjust I think it could work.

I gave it an honest try once, but it was very awkward for me.

I am not sure why I have been intrigued as long as I have. I feel like its something that makes so much sense in my head, but anytime I grab one and try, after a few putts I go back. With some general proper trial, I think it should work for most golfers.

I've putted sidesaddle for 8 years now and would never go back to traditional putting.

The advantages of sidesaddle:
1) A more natural stroke, similar to what you'd do if you tried to roll a ball into the hole with your right (or dominant) hand.
2) See the line with binocular vision (you see the line the same way as when you're standing behind the ball)
3) Easier to execute a more pendulum like straight back, straight through stroke (especially when holding the putter more vertical)
4) Due to the setup: no need to worry about the left wrist breaking down, are your eyes over the ball, swaying, rocking the shoulders, etc
5) Easier on the back given the more upright posture of most sidesaddle putters (not all...)

The disadvantages of sidesaddle putting:
1) It's a different way of putting, so it takes some practice to get comfortable with it. Especially if you've putted traditionally for a lot of years.
2) It's not a stroke where power can be added as easily as with a traditional stroke: so really, really long putts (60+ feet from my experience) can be hard (but not impossible)
3) It's different looking which makes people uncomfortable when playing with others (it took me a few years to get over this)
4) Related to #3 above: it's really tough if you happen to be having an off day putting. Sidesaddle is a better way to putt IMHO, but it's not a magic bullet. Easy putts can still be missed, and you can still have off days where you're just not putting well. With a traditional putting stroke, off days are thought to be just that - off days. But with sidesaddle, when you have an off day - people will attribute that to the "weird stroke". Almost as if every makeable putt is a referendum on the validity of the putting method. That can put a lot more pressure on feeling like you have to make every makeable putt! (which of course is not realistic, and this also took me a few years to get over.)

Last edited:
When/if I experiment with this, think I'll just modify a standard-length putter. I don't see the advantage to a big broomstick, other than getting a little more length for drops lol

I tried this a few decades ago. Stuck with it for a month, or so. Even used a putter that supposedly could be used for it. (Rail Gun)

I liked it, and it worked well for me. I just never got comfortable with it, and eventually went back to my old way of putting.

Another guy in our group used it, stuck with it, and made a lot putts using it.

Yeah, we took some ribbing from others. Stuff like "let the girls putt", but it was all in good fun.

When/if I experiment with this, think I'll just modify a standard-length putter. I don't see the advantage to a big broomstick, other than getting a little more length for drops lol

It depends on what feels most comfortable to you.
A longer putter is also a little easier on the back.

This is one of the few no's that I can answer pretty easily.

You joke of course but the rule actually states longest club other than putter. But most standard putter lie angle is in the 71° range and you want something close to the max ~79° plus longer let's you stand up straighter.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
Back