course handicap/slope observation

pinseeker

"Non renunciare mai quello che desideri"
Reaction score
Handicap
TBD
I played a round recently from the forward tees given all the yardage I have lost over several years. I had a decent round having made par on all of the par 3 holes and three of the par 5's and ending up scoring 15 over for 18. What I found interesting is that the HC for the short tees was 70.5 and 125 slope as compared with 69.9/125 from the middle tees. That sounds backwards to me unless I am missing something about course rating. The total yardage was around 4900 from the forwards and a little over 6000 from the mids. I will say one thing, it was an enjoyable round being able to hit more greens and even had ton dial back a bit (not a bad idea anyway). Heck, if I had a couple birdies, I could have broken 80 again.

I played a round recently from the forward tees given all the yardage I have lost over several years. I had a decent round having made par on all of the par 3 holes and three of the par 5's and ending up scoring 15 over for 18. What I found interesting is that the HC for the short tees was 70.5 and 125 slope as compared with 69.9/125 from the middle tees. That sounds backwards to me unless I am missing something about course rating. The total yardage was around 4900 from the forwards and a little over 6000 from the mids. I will say one thing, it was an enjoyable round being able to hit more greens and even had ton dial back a bit (not a bad idea anyway). Heck, if I had a couple birdies, I could have broken 80 again.
My guess is that the rating and slope for the short tees is for female golfers. The course should have another set of ratings and slope for those tees for men.

Could it be that you looked at the USGA Woman's rating for the front tees.

My guess is that the rating and slope for the short tees is for female golfers. The course should have another set of ratings and slope for those tees for men.
That makes sense. They call them "reds".

but you are right, I looked it up anyway and found men's rating was 65.9 / 112 (big difference - ego deflated again).

If you ever come across a set of tees that isn't rated for men, you can apply the chart found here: Slope and Rating adjustment and you'll get a slope and rating that is close enough.

but you are right, I looked it up anyway and found men's rating was 65.9 / 112 (big difference - ego deflated again).

Yep the women’s ratings are much different. At my home course we have an ex LPGA player who is a +5 index and I have to give her a shot per round if we play the middle men’s tees(6400 yds) at my current index of 0.4.

Our course is this way. They are getting ready to re rate it and make ratings for men and women at all 4 tee boxes.

too much figgerin for me, but I can understand the necessity for competition, GHIN, e.t.c. Heck, I won't even use my smart phone golf apps/GPS. I do have a Garmin watch however, but more often than not, I will forget to enter the strokes before leaving the green. I mostly use it for distance to front/middle/back of greens.

Our course is this way. They are getting ready to re rate it and make ratings for men and women at all 4 tee boxes.
Yah, still a lot of stigma applied to "womens" tees. I believe more people would enjoy the game a lot more playing from a set of tees suited to their game. The system is supposed to level the playing field. I am not convinced it really does. I will turn 80 this year and need all the help I can get. This last round found me to be very accurate on approaches probably because I swung a lot easier, but got more distance or maybe the ball I was using had more roll out, less spin. I found myself about ten foot longer.

Played Winged Foot and they have a set of tees for 80 and over...They sit in front of the Red tees often. So play where you are comfortable, the knowledgeable world of golf understands you.....

ha ha...that' s nice! brings into play a mantra of mine...."I am a has-been that never was".

Yah, still a lot of stigma applied to "womens" tees. I believe more people would enjoy the game a lot more playing from a set of tees suited to their game. The system is supposed to level the playing field. I am not convinced it really does. I will turn 80 this year and need all the help I can get. This last round found me to be very accurate on approaches probably because I swung a lot easier, but got more distance or maybe the ball I was using had more roll out, less spin. I found myself about ten foot longer.
I play with quite a few guys close to your age and they have no problem playing the most forward tees. I usually play one back from them and it evens things out for the most part. There are a few of them that definitely don't need to because they still have great distance off the tee. But as you said they enjoy it.

My home course doesn't have men's slope/CR on the scorecard for the forward tees, but the GHIN app has it. It's 65.7/111 for women, while it's rated 62.5/102 for men. Makes a big difference!

Back