Course Madness: WGGC Round of 32- (6) National Golf Links of America vs (3) The Ocean Course

Course Madness: WGGC Round of 32- (6) National Golf Links of America vs (3) The Ocean Course

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fuffle master

5150 Lunatic Fringe 22’ GRANDADDY
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The World Greatest Golf Course is now entering the Round of 32.

Here is the thread to show the full pool and all the results. You decide on which is the World's Greatest Golf Course.
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...ss-greatest-golf-course-in-the-world.8916364/

Round of 32: As we continue to get deeper into the pool, each course will be given a bit more fun information to help you decide which is the World's Greatest Golf Course.

(6) National Golf Links of America

national-golf-links-of-america.jpg

The National was founded in 1908 under the leadership of Charles B. Macdonald. The golf course was constructed with the assistance of Southampton engineer, Seth Raynor. After studying many of the courses in Scotland and England, Mr. Macdonald set out to build a first-class course in the United States which would incorporate many of the better qualities of golf courses in the British Isles. Among the famous holes represented at the National are the Road Hole and Eden from St. Andrews, Alps from Prestwick, Redan from North Berwick and Sahara from Sandwich. The National has inspired a number of golf architects who have made frequent visits to study some of its challenging and enduring features.

(3) The Ocean Course

The Ocean Course Kiawah Island.jpg

The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island opened for play in 1991 only weeks before the thrilling "War by the Shore" Ryder Cup match, which saw team USA beat Europe by the narrowest of margins, 14 1/2 - 13 1/2. This particular Ryder Cup is unfortunately remembered for Bernhard Langer's missed six-foot putt that would have tied the march, allowing Europe to retain the trophy.

Naturally, after the Ryder Cup, the Ocean Course, designed by Pete Dye, leapt into the limelight and has remained there ever since. There are panoramic views of the Atlantic Ocean to drink in on each hole and the course is rooted in an old-fashioned way alongside the ocean. According to Pete Dye, "There's no other golf course in the Northern Hemisphere that has as many seaside holes."

Ocean!

The National Golf Links is a top 10 course in America; the Ocean Course is a top 25 course. Yet, I think the Ocean Course will win here.

Both solid but in the end the Ocean course wins out

The Ocean course is a great course, but National is special (or so I've heard). Gotta go with National.

Ocean Course without hesitation.

The National easy choice for me. If you offered my 10 rounds between the to I’d pick probably 8 at National.

Went with National Golf links - but I can see why Ocean course could win this one.

Ocean course

Just a couple hours left on this one.

Back