Course Madness: WGGC Sweet Sixteen- (1) Augusta National Golf Club vs (4) Winged Foot Golf Club

Course Madness: WGGC Sweet Sixteen- (1) Augusta National Golf Club vs (4) Winged Foot Golf Club

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fuffle master

5150 Lunatic Fringe 22’ GRANDADDY
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The World Greatest Golf Course is now entering the Sweet Sixteen.

Here is the thread to show the full pool and all the results. You decide on which is the World's Greatest Golf Course.
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...ss-greatest-golf-course-in-the-world.8916364/

(1) Augusta National Golf Club

Augusta National Golf Course.jpg

The History Of The Masters Green Jacket

The Masters Green Jacket is presented to the Masters winner in the immediate aftermath of their victory. That jacket is borrowed off an Augusta member with roughly the same build as the winner, before the champion is later measured for their own tailored version.

But when did this The Masters Green Jacket tradition begin, and why?

The Masters Green Jacket was first introduced in 1937. The idea was that Augusta National members would wear these jackets during the tournament to make them stand out to members of the public needing guidance or assistance.

It was an idea borrowed from Royal Liverpool in England when a visiting Bobby Jones attended a dinner. At this dinner, there was a collection of club captains who were all wearing matching jackets to denote their position.

The first Augusta National jackets soon followed, bought from the Brooks Uniform Company in New York. But they were not popular with the members, who found the material too thick and uncomfortable in warm weather, so they soon changed supplier.

From 1937 through to 1948 only Augusta National members wore the jackets, but in 1949 Sam Snead became the first winner to be honored with the now famous Green Jacket.

Twitter: @Aug_masters

Augusta-National-scorecard 2.jpg augusta-national-scorecard 3.jpeg

(4) Winged Foot Golf Club

Winged Foot Golf Club.JPG

In 1929 Winged Foot Golf Club hosted its first US Open. Since then the Club has hosted four more USGA National Championships, the 1997 PGA Championship, two Women’s Opens, a Senior Open and two U.S. Amateurs and the 2016 U.S. Amateur Four-Ball. In June of 2020, we will host our sixth USGA National Championship. There are few clubs in the world with Winged Foot’s history of hosting major golf events.

“Winged Foot West is on the short list of the best design jobs in the history of golf course architecture. Though the property could be described as downright ordinary with little topographical character, Winged Foot West is one strong golf hole after another with almost no let-up.”

“Walking on these Tillinghast greens, knowing the greats of the game have studied the same putts and competed in the same footsteps, adds to the greatness and timelessness of this course.”

“One of the best parkland-style golf courses in the world. Worthy of its place among the best architectural designs in golf. The back nine might be one of the most complete nine holes in golf.”

Twitter: @Wingedfoot_GC

winged foot West-Scorecard.jpg winged foot scorecard 2.JPG

That vote was harder than I thought it would be.

Augustsa. no question.

Actually going Winged Foot here. I know it won't win but I feel Augusta is going to win already no matter what it goes against so I'm just throwing a different one out there

Good luck to winged foot, but had to give it up to the holy grail course

Much bigger fan of the US Open than the Masters. Winged Foot has hosted 5 times so gets my vote.

Augusta, going to be hard to knock Augusta out this thing for any course

Augusta is looking strong to move into the Elite Eight.

Augusta for me.

Augusta is the easy choice - I think because it's the one Major course we see every year. I went Augusta but if I was to play both, I could see myself liking Winged Foot more.

My golf coach was at Augusta a few times (including 1986) & he said it reminds him of Disneyworld - there is literally nothing out of place.

I understand this voting result. They are both marvelous courses. I am fortunate to have been to both courses ( practice rounds at Augusta and practice and tournament rounds at WF). That said, WF is my choice.

Augusta.

Interested to see how much of the "aura" around Augusta influences these votes in the upcoming rounds. I don't think there's a definitive answer, but does "Greatest Golf Course" just deal with the course itself or the experience as a whole? I'm guessing we'll see what individual preferences are to this question as we keep whittling the courses down...

That being said, I'm going with Augusta!

Interested to see how much of the "aura" around Augusta influences these votes in the upcoming rounds. I don't think there's a definitive answer, but does "Greatest Golf Course" just deal with the course itself or the experience as a whole? I'm guessing we'll see what individual preferences are to this question as we keep whittling the courses down...

That being said, I'm going with Augusta!
If the final four are what I expect, that should be fun.

Back