Photo Heavy Course Photo of the Day: Ballyhack Edition

#2 is quite possibly my favorite hole. Just a super unique and fun with some absolutely incredible views.
It's certainly a fairway where you can swing freely without abandon.

Hole 3 Par 3 Appalachian Tees 174 Yards
DSC_0521.JPG

DSC_0522.JPG
DSC_0524.JPG
If the pin is in the preferred location which is just over the left finger of the front bunker the slopes can be used to funnel your shot toward the pin just like 16 at Augusta

Some gorgeous holes but I would need lots of balls

The greens are massive. I generally play to middle of the green and hope my swing cooperates. Here I'm hoping to hit the ball to the side of the green the pin is on or else 3 putt comes into play, easily.

I mean missing the green doesn't seem like a good option in any case :LOL:

Sorry guys, my picture sorting wasn't as good as I thought. Here is a photo of the preferred pin position, as it's in a bowl that feeds the ball towards the hole.DSC_0430.JPG

Hole 4 Par 4 Appalachian Tees 411 Yards

This one's interesting. As the first few photos hopefully show, you cannot see any of the fairway from the tee. I don't know that I'd want to have to play this one without a forecaddie, although I'm sure after a few times you'd learn the line. A good drive will fly the precipice of the ridge, and tumble down to the flatter part of the fairway and most likely to the right due to the contours.
DSC_0526.JPG
Although these photos show the fairway and green beyond, the line is to the left of the pot bunker. If you look in the photo above, there are two white structures in the trees off in the distance - the one on the left is the line.
DSC_0528.JPGDSC_0529.JPG

As with a lot of the holes at Ballyhack, hitting the fairway is merely the beginning. For your second shot you are faced with a carry across a naturalized area, to a green that is higher at the front than you are in the fairway, and appears to be about a 45 degree slope back to the pin.
DSC_0530.JPG
DSC_0531.JPG

I know the camera flattens terrain, but hopefully you get a little bit of the severity of the slope of this green. What you will find, however is that it is visual trickery. Once you are on the green it is much flatter than you expected from the fairway.
DSC_0532.JPG
A look back from the green to the back half of the fairway. You can see the forecaddie in the fairway - tee shots need to be to his right (fairway side) in order to remain in the fairway.
DSC_0534.JPG
@Jank makes an appearance willing his partner's putt to stop (y)
DSC_0536.JPG

So hole #4 is kind of a blind tee shot?

Also that green slope is definitely noticeable. If the camera flattens the terrain, I'm not sure how a ball can stop on the green :LOL:

Hole 5 Par 4 Appalachian Tees 378 Yards

If you thought the fourth hole was fun, this one is even better. Again you can't see a lot of the landing area, but the fairway is generously wide - you just have to avoid the bunkering.
DSC_0440.JPG
For the average golfer like myself, I like the line between the left edge of this bunker and the flag. You're going to be at the mercy of the contours, but that should pretty much guarantee a good fairway leave for your second shot.
DSC_0444.JPG

So hole #4 is kind of a blind tee shot?

Also that green slope is definitely noticeable. If the camera flattens the terrain, I'm not sure how a ball can stop on the green :LOL:
Yes, blind because you can't see any of the fairway that you're aiming for. The forecaddie will give you the line, then go out to the highest point of the fairway to spot and give you an aiming point.

Trust me, the green looks a lot scarier from the fairway than it does from standing on the back of it. There's still slope to it, but not the extreme angle that the fairway suggests which is good.

Your mission, if you choose to accept it is to reach this elevated green by navigating both the three false front tiers and the plethora of bunkering.
DSC_0445.JPG
It's super pretty to look at, but it gave me fits to play :)
DSC_0446.JPG
and with different lighting
DSC_0540.JPG

This photo was taken from the high side fairway (right side in first photo) which gives you a bit better overview of what is awaiting your drive from the tee.
DSC_0542.JPG
Looking back from the green to help appreciate the slope. Interestingly there is no evidence of any bunkering from this point, it looks like all fairway.
DSC_0548.JPG

About as close as I’ve ever been to an ace on this hole. Stuck it to inside a foot on a bonus round at the Data Experience.
We played this pin as part of the goat track, and I had just put my new RTX 6 wedges in the bag. Took a wedge right over the flag and pulled it back past the pin. I'll never know for sure, but it had to have been close to going in on the way past.

Back