bwhitley

Reaction score
I have a Callaway Paradym driver with a Hzrdus shaft in it. Began using it last summer. About 30 rounds into using it I would notice that, after hitting a drive, while using the club to brace my reach for my tee, I would hear a cracking sound coming from the grip area. I have recently been hitting a lot of balls in my simulator room and the cracking sound seems to be worsening. Any thoughts. BTW, my swing speed is 90-92 mph

I'd take the grip off and see what's up. Or take it to a store or fitter to let them have a look. If it's broke or shattering and you bought it new, give Callaway a call to see what your options are. Worst case you're out a new Hzrdus Silver (I'm guessing). Should be easy enough to find one on ebay, FB marketplace, etc. Stock offerings usually sell for pretty reasonable prices.

Was the club regripped at some point? It sounds like there may be a crack in the butt of the shaft under the grip, which can sometimes happen in the regripping process if a clamp and vise are used to secure the club and the vise is tightened too much. If so, it would probably be exacerbated by both regular usage and the leaning while removing your tee.

Was the club regripped at some point? It sounds like there may be a crack in the butt of the shaft under the grip, which can sometimes happen in the regripping process if a clamp and vise are used to secure the club and the vise is tightened too much. If so, it would probably be exacerbated by both regular usage and the leaning while removing your tee.
Thanks for replying. I took the grip off and couldn't see anything to my naked, untrained eye. This was the original grip. Performance doesn't seem to be affected. Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I removed the grip and to my naked, untrained eye I couldn't detect anything. I did regrip it once. I'll know now to be careful as to how tightly I set the vice, thanks.

So I would grab the head and the grip in opposite hands (obviously 😅 ) and twist in opposite directions and see if you're hearing it from the grip still, or if it's coming from the adapter. Adapter could be a failing shaft or something as simple as some loose epoxy. I would highly recommend against leaning on the shaft moving forward though

Thanks for the reply. I removed the grip and to my naked, untrained eye I couldn't detect anything. I did regrip it once. I'll know now to be careful as to how tightly I set the vice, thanks.
Just tight enough to hold it in place for anything really. I always err on the side of caution and tighten a little at a time if needed. More of an issue when you're pulling heads, but good advice from @JoeHatesSnow regardless.

I may have had the same thing happen a couple of times.... and it ended up being that I just needed to tighten the head with a wrench.. or if their are weights in the head tightening those. if it is a fixed head with no weights then I am not sure.

Take it to where you got it, or a Callaway dealer. paradyms are still under warranty.

Back