~QQ~

Reaction score
Handicap
So I have the opportunity to have a "calcium score" test with my cardiologist. It is really simple, they take a CT scan of your heart without contrast. They can apparently see build up in your arteries.

BUT, I had 2 CT scans last year and another one when I was on my 30's. They say a CT scan introduces about 4 years worth of normal radiation you get just living to your body. So I'm already 12 years into extra radiation.

Am I overthinking this? I have high cholesterol and would love to know what's going on in my arteries. My family has a history of cholesterol and heart attacks. I actually have eaten pretty healthy my whole life and have been underweight. It's a genetic thing. Don't want to run into a widow maker but don't like too much radiation exposure.

Should I do it?

With your genetic history I would think so but I’m bot a doctor so…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you’re over thinking it. The cancer scare from radiation is for people who get scanned a lot more then you have. I would consult with your cardiologist if you’re that worried. I’ve been in the radiology field for awhile and have seen people scanned a lot more then you have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t tell you what to do but I’d get the CT.

I would do the CT scan. In my opinion it's better to know what's going on rather than sit there wondering. Not having to drink that awful contrast is a bonus.

Doctor siad I should have a chest x-ray , as I stopped smoking 3 months ago.
I was hesitant at first, But after talking to my wife I went for it, everything came back negative.
I had a lot of concern about being exposed to the radiation,but having everything checked out eases my mind.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

This is not medical advice.

You’re overthinking it. Get the scan. I can’t tell you how many CT’s I’ve had done the past 10 years between having a cancer like illness for most of the last 2 years (free finally, but follow up CT’s forever, yay!) and the accident and kidney stones. Most don’t land me in the hospital. The ones that do, first move is a CT scan.

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on a golf forum...

Get the scan, people get more scans than what you've described and are fine. You need to do what's best for you and no one can make that decision for you but you. I, like many others, have had plenty of scans of multiple varieties.

When I was diagnosed with cancer in August 2018, I had one then and one every 6 months post-surgery until August 2020 when my doc said every year is good now. So I will likely have to get one every year until the cows come home to roost. I’m not worried about the radiation.

I can’t tell you what to do but I’d damned sure have it, even with the number I’ve already had.

When I was diagnosed with cancer in August 2018, I had one then and one every 6 months post-surgery until August 2020 when my doc said every year is good now. So I will likely have to get one every year until the cows come home to roost. I’m not worried about the radiation.

I can’t tell you what to do but I’d damned sure have it, even with the number I’ve already had.

solid advice here. I’ve had three scans a year for two years and while My wife hates the idea of me getting more scans, the pros outweighs the cons for me personally.

Thank you all for the advice. It's good to hear others experiences with this. I'll get the scan!

Just glad you’re getting without contrast. Scans with contrast are just weird experiences and the amount of water to drink after to feel normal sucks

Back