Cupped left wrist

Perkins Rooster

Reaction score
Handicap
10.1 RCGA
Hello GolfTEC. How serious a flaw is a cupped left wrist at the top of the swng? My normal ball flight is a slight pull (almost never hooked). If I do work the ball it's left to right - which I prefer as I hate hooks. However I'd like to get rid of the pull - is this related to the cupped left wrist at the top? Thanks.

Thanks for the question and I would say it depends on what you want out of your ball flight. Personally, I like the see the left wrist flat at the top as it generates the correct leverage and encourages an on-plane downswing. The most important part is what the face looks like at the top of the swing with your cupped left wrist - is it closed (pointing to the sky) or open (pointed to the ground). You could potentially have a closed face and a cupped left wrist that would lead to pulls. Start with the grip at set up to see if you are neutral, strong, or weak with a square club face. Then I would look at the club face when you get to the top position and you should have your answer to the flat left wrist.

To answer your question about whether it is related to the pull, I would say yes. When the left wrist is cupped at the top, you tend to release the club in an outward direction too early in the downswing creating an outside-in path. If the face the square to the path then the ball will go left on you. Holding that face off through impact will get the ball to drift right. Hope this answers your question about your ball flight.

Robert Gamble, PGA
City Manager/Director of Instruction
GolfTEC Glenwood

Hi Robert. Thanks very much for the quick response. My grip is neutral. I've been wondering why my club path continues to be slightly out to in when I don't have an OTT move, so I think your answer has shed some light on that. In the chance that you look back here - are there any drills that you would suggest for ingraining a flat left wrist? Thanks.

The best drill that I use requires a hard back book or a 3 ring binder. Hold the book along the spine as if you are gripping a golf club. When you go into your back swing, the book should press against the left forearm and not the right. When you get to the top, the book will be against the left forearm creating the flat left wrist. From there you can work on the downswing plane to ensure you are on the plane you want for the fade. The more reps the better!

Robert Gamble, PGA
City Manager/Director of Instruction
GolfTEC Glenwood

Thanks very much for your help. I'm looking forward to my homework!

Back