Curing pulls thru lie angle change not in line with what lie board suggests - crazy?

Flooder

Reaction score
Handicap
While demoing some CF16s Saturday night I got the idea for a little experiment. My shot shape with mid to short irons is left, sort of a pull, draw (pull, hook when it's real bad). I've tried a number of adjustments to correct, but I think it comes down to how aggressive through the shot I am. I jump on it and off it goes.

I got to thinking that perhaps I could remedy this, not by changing my motion, but through a lie angle change. After hitting the standard 7 iron left 5-6 times in a row, I grabbed a 2* flat iron with the same XP115 stiff shaft in it and ta-da!, straight as a freakin' arrow. I mean I painted the center line with roughly 175 carry distance 7 of the next 10 shots.

So what do you think, is this a shortcut that will lead me to other trouble or a good idea? Perhaps I don't make my "aggressive" swing when i'm on the lie board for fitting purposes so it's not accounting for my on course behavior? What do you think?

Last edited:
you went upright and it cured the lefts? i thought upright was supposed to help a slice?

you went upright and it cured the lefts? i thought upright was supposed to help a slice?

You are absolutely right, I went 2* flat. My OP is wrong. Thanks!

You are absolutely right, I went 2* flat. My OP is wrong. Thanks!

haha now it makes sense :)

i used to be 3* upright because of a swing that was way in to out. now i can work really well with standard to 1* flat.

Since you post in the swing tips I'm going to answer as a golf instructor. Have you ever been fit for clubs? If so what did they tell you? How do you know the club was 2* flat? Were you working with someone?

The fact that you hit it straight when you went 2* flat tells me you should have been hitting this setup all along. Most standard irons a bit upright and this can promote a slight pull. The flatter iron squared up that impact position and caused the straight shots you saw.

Now, I am not a fan of buying gear to fix ones swing. But it sounds like you just stumbled onto your correct setup. Have all your clubs switched to 2* flat. Be aware that not every club will be 2* flat. As you get longer the lie angle could change.

Since you post in the swing tips I'm going to answer as a golf instructor. Have you ever been fit for clubs? If so what did they tell you? How do you know the club was 2* flat? Were you working with someone?

The fact that you hit it straight when you went 2* flat tells me you should have been hitting this setup all along. Most standard irons a bit upright and this can promote a slight pull. The flatter iron squared up that impact position and caused the straight shots you saw.

Now, I am not a fan of buying gear to fix ones swing. But it sounds like you just stumbled onto your correct setup. Have all your clubs switched to 2* flat. Be aware that not every club will be 2* flat. As you get longer the lie angle could change.

Thanks, Panda. I have done the loft and lie fitting several times in the past and always come out as standard, but as I mentioned in the post, i'm not sure I make the same 'aggressive' pass when hitting off a lie board as trying to stick it on a 160 yard approach shot on "game day". I believe it was 2* flat because it came out of the Callaway fitting cart and was stamped 2* flat. Can I not trust that?

Thanks, Panda. I have done the loft and lie fitting several times in the past and always come out as standard, but as I mentioned in the post, i'm not sure I make the same 'aggressive' pass when hitting off a lie board as trying to stick it on a 160 yard approach shot on "game day". I believe it was 2* flat because it came out of the Callaway fitting cart and was stamped 2* flat. Can I not trust that?

You can trust what you saw. But before I moved into a 2* flat set up, I'd make sure what you saw wasn't a fluke.

You can trust what you saw. But before I moved into a 2* flat set up, I'd make sure what you saw wasn't a fluke.

Ok thanks. No doubt about it, further testing is required.

Pulling straight left was a problem for me, especially when as you said "getting on it." My problem wasnt lie angles, but rather a lower body swing fault with the right leg as explained in the vid below. Fixed the right leg fault and the pulls disappeared. You mileage may vary.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Uf6U0jUBPo

If it had been a path problem, the pulls would have continued when he moved to a flatter iron.

Back