Custom Club Websites

Texasbrons

FXDF FatBobs Rule!!
Reaction score
Handicap
My Mouth!!
I'm curious how many of the members have bought clubs from a custom club web site instead of getting name brand clubs.

When I first started playing about 3 years ago, I didn't want to spend several hundred dollars to just find out I didn't like the game so I bought a cheap set of Intech clubs at a golf equipment show here in Kansas City and started hacking away. I figured out that I enjoyed getting my butt kicked on a regular basis so I started shopping for a better set of clubs. Now, for some history, I knew that my skill set did not merit me spending tons of money even still, but I wanted a set I could grow with. I'm also an avid pool player and I'm pretty good. I have no qualms about spending several hundred dollars on a pool cue and I can take advantage of the technology that a higher end pool cue can bring me, but if you are a beginner, I wouldn't recommend getting a high end cue as the english on the ball will cause you more problems than help you. I took that same philosophy to my clubs and realized I did not need a top end set as that would probably cause me more discouragement than good. In my research I came across two companies Pine Meadow and GigaGolf. I ended up getting a set of GigaGolf G2 clubs and I'd say they are good enough for me. I handed my Intechs down to my oldest son who wanted to play golf with me. When he started getting more interested I got him a set of GigaGolf G3 clubs that he has used with a good amount of success. I've always wondered how these clubs actually stack up against the name brands and if any of the more experienced players have some personal insight into this.

It recently became more of a pointed question for me when my son, who is now about a 9 or 10 handicap, wanted to test drive some new irons. He set out to try the AMPs, Mizuno MP-53's and a Taylormade set (don't remember which). We went to Edwin Watts and the guys there were great. They taped up a 6 iron from each set and threw in a Titleist set as well. He normally was hitting his 6 iron in the mid 160's with the gigagolf with a really nice ball fight. He hit all of these clubs the same except for the Mizunos which he was consistently hitting about 185-188. Needless to say we ended up getting him a set of Mizuno MP-53 irons.

One of the claims of fame to these sites is that they are not producing counterfeits, but rather producing comparable clubs to the big names but at a fraction of the cost due to not needing to pay celebrities and for all of the associated advertising. You also lose some of that name brand recognition as a result.

Another friend of mine went in for a club fitting a local shop and just for kicks I asked him for his information. We went to the GigaGolf eFit system on their site and put the info in, measurements, ball flight etc, and came up with the same info as the local fitting, so I would say that the info there is fairly accurate.

Has anyone played with these off brand names and have any insight as far as value or bang for the buck?

I have some custom clubs in the bag. Mine are Wishon, which IMO is a completely different kettle of fish than giga and PM. Giga and PM are clones, Wishon is custom components. To me, custom clubs mean you go to a club maker and you get clubs built to your specs after being assessed at an in person fitting. From what I've researched and experienced, Wishon components are as good or better than much OEM equipment, especially when built to your specs and ability. I've never gamed a clone.

Mike

I would agree with that, although I don't think that the guys there would. If you ask them for their equivalent of say a Mizuno MP-53, they won't say "That's this particular club". They will say we've got a couple of different sets that play similar to that club or whatever. So maybe custom club is the wrong word, but you can customize them quite a bit with different shafts, grips, lie, club length etc... Using their eFit system I would say you could call it semi custom fit at least. Another reason is I've thought about getting a Cleveland Mashie 3 wood, but I hit my three wood as long as most of the guys in my group are hitting their drivers. I've even accidentally got 265 - 270 out of it a couple of times!! Yes that is measured using a GPS app. That is an exception, but I'm just wondering if when I upgrade again, if I should go this same route or bite the bullet and go with the name brand at more dollars. I spent about $350 for a full set that was fit to me, but I don't know if the deal is only good on paper and does not translate to the course. So I thought I'd as the question and see if anyone else had any first hand insight.

custom club makers can make some great things, just don't waste your time on warrior custom golf, it's terrible and they are kind of dishonest!!

I checked out their site and they sure are clone clubs, I have never used one so I don't know good they are.

I checked out their site and they sure are clone clubs, I have never used one so I don't know good they are.

I think he knows they're clones. He's just wondering if there's a difference. For myself I feel more comfortable going with what I've done for my equipment, but if they work for him that's great.

I got some for really cheap off of craigslist a while back, they were really bad and the pain chipped so easily on the woods-I've seen chinese clones way better than these "custom" clubs

Just as a follow up, went to Edwin Watts today to see if I was using the correct flex shaft in my driver(s). My GigaGolf P2 driver or set is supposed to be like the Ping G-10 set. I was way more consistent with my P2 driver than I was with the R-7 draw. Both supposedly have a stiff flex shaft on them, but when he did a vibration harmonics test on them, I was told that the stiff flex on the R-7 measured closer to the regular flex readings while the vibration readings on the P2 were closer to the readings for an extra stiff. He said I'm probably losing a few yards as a result, but I'm gaining accuracy with the extra stiff which would explain why I hit it straighter and with a better ball flight than the R-7. He told me that the shaft in the Gigagolf was an outstanding shaft and that I should probably stay with that set up.

Just thought I'd post that back on here.

That's interesting, thanks for posting.

Just do go with warrior custom golf they are terrible

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Back