Decently Priced Iron Sets?

NickerBopper

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been thinking about getting a new set of irons recently, and was looking for some feedback from the community. I have had the same golf set since 2006, which was a cheap set of Dunlop XTIs, and I am looking into beginning to create my bag and wanted to start with the irons.

As I was doing some searching, I found the Nike VR_S X irons on TGW for what seems to be a decent price.
http://www.tgw.com/customer/categor...chWords/vrs+x/sattr0/Model/sattrVal0/Ages+5-7

Does anyone have feedback on these clubs and the value, or other suggestions for me to check out during my search?

You should go somewhere like Golf Galaxy where they have hitting booths so you can try many different sets. Then decide ...

I highly recommend Wilson Staff irons when on a budget. Their clubs are so underrated IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilson d100, Adams OS12, Tour Edge xcg6/7, Cleveland 588mt or altitude, and Cobra Bio Cell would probably be my top irons for the price. I think all of them can be had in the 200-300 dollar range.

Wilson d100, Adams OS12, Tour Edge xcg6/7, Cleveland 588mt or altitude, and Cobra Bio Cell would probably be my top irons for the price. I think all of them can be had in the 200-300 dollar range.

All great choices above

Check out the cleveland Mashie and MT588, also the Cobra Bio Cells

don't know if you saw this thread: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...085-Build-Your-Bag-The-Cheap-Golfer-Challenge

There's a ton of feedback on an entire bag under a certain budget. There's a condition that the clubs must be new so getting them used would be an even better value. On a budget, you really should give Wilsons a look. Their resale value is so low but the quality of their clubs is pretty high. I'd recommend checkout out the thread, pick some out that look good to you, then head to a store and see if you can't find some to hit to try them out. Buying irons sight unseen (or without demoing rather) is risky, especially if you're on a budget.

don't know if you saw this thread: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...085-Build-Your-Bag-The-Cheap-Golfer-Challenge

There's a ton of feedback on an entire bag under a certain budget. There's a condition that the clubs must be new so getting them used would be an even better value. On a budget, you really should give Wilsons a look. Their resale value is so low but the quality of their clubs is pretty high. I'd recommend checkout out the thread, pick some out that look good to you, then head to a store and see if you can't find some to hit to try them out. Buying irons sight unseen (or without demoing rather) is risky, especially if you're on a budget.

I came across that thread after I had made this one, and it helped me expand my list a little bit.

Not on the topic of irons, but it seems as if a lot of people enjoy the Bio Cell and SLDR drivers.

I came across that thread after I had made this one, and it helped me expand my list a little bit.

Not on the topic of irons, but it seems as if a lot of people enjoy the Bio Cell and SLDR drivers.
If you need forgiveness then BioCell is going to be a lot less brutal than the SLDR

A Ping g series or K15 could be very good if you intend to keep them for a long time, adams combo sets can be bought new for around 200 I believe which is another solid option. I would err on the side of forgiveness. Hybrids are awesome.

The D200 right now for $599 plus is a great value for a quality set of irons.

I'm not certain if you are willing to purchase used irons but it may do the trick for you. I was on a budget also and my clubs were even older than yours. You can get a lot of great used clubs on line that are in very good condition.

I'm pretty green. your probably a better player than I am but I think the nike clubs your looking at are in the same category of irons I just purchased. Mine are the mizuno jpx ez iron set with 4-6 hybrids and graphite shafts. Of course the ones your looking at on that site are new. they have my mizuno clubs on there for $900 (OUCH!) but I paid $350 for used and I couldn't see any sign they were used. 2 days at the range changed that for most of them though.

I would never have spent $900 on this set up. I have no idea if they are any better than what you are thinking of. Experience has shown me triple the money doesn't always mean triple the value. So far they get in the air more often and are a little straighter for me than the nicklaus n1 pros I had been using.

the short version of my post is don't pass by really good used clubs because they are used.

I'd also recommend going and hitting a bunch.
I recently did this and, to my surprise, the cheapest of the bunch were the ones that felt the best. Taylormade Rocketbladez HL were the winners for my but you never know which ones you'll like.

You can get the Bio cell irons for $299 now. Hard to beat that! Make sure you get custom fit with whatever you decide to buy.

yah where? every place i looked they are $699

As others have said... Wilson Staff is an exceptional set of irons for a great price. Bio Cell's are also good.

I also recommend Adams CB3s.

As others have said... Wilson Staff is an exceptional set of irons for a great price. Bio Cell's are also good.

I also recommend Adams CB3s.

Yeah the D100 are very impressive for the price. Never used the CB3 but the OS12 set that I hit were really nice and they are under $200 now.

You should also consider callaway golf preowned: http://www2.callawaygolfpreowned.com/

You can get some really good like new sets there for much cheaper than new. Combine that with sets that a about 1-2 years old and you can get some really good deals.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I finally got out to a shop and tested out the Ping G25s and a set of Cobras. Really hit them both well. They were a little more above my planned price range. The G25s were 525 and the Cobra set was 700.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I finally got out to a shop and tested out the Ping G25s and a set of Cobras. Really hit them both well. They were a little more above my planned price range. The G25s were 525 and the Cobra set was 700.
which cobra? Fly z? See if yo can try out the Bio Cell they are $300 and a really nice iron.

which cobra? Fly z? See if yo can try out the Bio Cell they are $300 and a really nice iron.

Yes, it was the Fly Z. I wanted to demo the Bio Cell but they didn't have any in stock. Seems to be that the shop only provides newer released clubs. I am going to keep trying to find a set of Bio Cells before I make a decision though.

Sent you a PM.

Okay guys, I'm really torn right now. I was leaning towards getting the G25 with a fitting for 525. Tonight, I found a set of Both Cells for 330, but the store doesn't offer fittings. The Bio Cells were my number one pick, but the pro shop I was at didn't have any. I found this set at a chain store.

Ahhhhh so confused. Thoughts?

Back