Describe How It Became Your Favorite Brand

Cobra has grown on me over the last few years. I didn't know much about them and they weren't my favorite brand for several years. I feel they started innovating several years ago and just hasn't stopped. I don't know why they were under the radar, but they've made really great products at a better price point than the other OEMs. Now, with 3d printing, infinity face design, MIM technology they have a very compelling story for why they are thought leaders in the golfing industry.

Add to that Puma and their extremely solid lines (including CloudSpun), and it's a brand that I think very highly of

Ben Hogan Golf is MY Brand. It began is the late 80's when I purchased a set of irons for myself for the first time. My parents had purchased my first two sets of clubs for me. That was back in the days before demo clubs, fitting carts, etc. and getting to hit a few balls required the saleman to wrap the head of the one iron they would let you hit with a whole roll of masking tape. Between the Hogan Edge irons just feeling right in my hands and the gorgeous appearance of them, there is no way I was leaving that store with anything but a set of Hogan irons. I didn't play a lot of golf through the 90's with starting my career and a family so kept that set for about 12 years. Then I wanted to start playing regulary again so walked into a PGA Tour Superstore and say the Hogan Apex Edge Pro irons and it was love at first sight and I made them mine. Played and loved them for about 10 years then decided I wanted irons that conformed to the new groove rule so got about from the brand for about 6 years but nothing else I tried ever felt quite right.

Fast forward to 2018 and receiving a glorious email from @GolferGal saying I was chosen to participate in the Ben Hogan Experience that year. My love for the brand was very happily renewed. Between loving the quality and appearance of the equipment and getting to meet and/or communicate with several BHG employees, I felt really good and proud to be gaming Ben Hogan clubs again and communicating about them again with others with joy and enthusiasm. It makes it really a pleasure to feel good about your bag when both love the clubs and know some of the people behind the brand and really enjoy interacting with them. To me, it makes it more personal and makes it easy and fun to feel a sense of comradery with that brand.

I've liked Callaway ever since the introduction of the original Big Bertha driver. I played Ping clubs for many years, always liked what Callaway had going on, but I'm not much of a club ho and tend to hang onto what I have if it's working for me. Being a member of THP, it was great to see Callaway's extent of involvement/participation here, and of course, the awesomeness of the Grandaddy. Early this year when I was looking to finally update my 10-year old clubs, the reviews and buzz about Callaway on THP drove me to go see what the new Mavrik line was all about. I went to a Callaway demo day at a local course, loved the clubs, and ended up with a full top-to-bottom bag of Callaway. Since then, their customer service has been absolutely amazing, they go above and beyond to take care of their customers.

It's Cobra for me. It started with me getting a Baffler 3H for Christmas and then buy my Speed LD driver after hitting my dad's after he got one. I can't actually remember which one I got first. They were around 2007 or 2008. I then bought my Cobra S3 irons about 7-8 years ago and have been playing them ever since.

Titleist is a close 2nd on my list after the 2020 Titleist Vokey Experience and getting my custom SM8's. I will say that since finding THP that Mizuno has really moved to being on my radar. I never thought much about them before.

PING is what my father played when I was growing up. I loved sneaking his clubs in to my bag for rounds during the summer and during HS golf matches. Guess I just always wanted my bag to be similar to the bag of the man who brought me to the game. Oddly enough the brand that is my favorite is the one that usually has only 1 or 2 clubs in the bag for me at a given time.

It's hard for me to look at Callaway, Cobra, Taylormade, Bridgestone and so forth as a new favorite company. I've had great experiences with all of them, and at times, each one has supplied me with a bag of 14 clubs of my choosing, and they were all amazing. It makes me really play no favorite of the bunch.

This resonates with me to the core! Our family had pings. My dad, brother and I all had them in the 90s. My brother and dad still play them. I remember my dad getting the becu ISI irons and I was so jealous! They were beautiful. I convinced him to let me play them my junior year and right before sectionals, I soaked them in Coke and got them shiny! The good old days!

To answer this, I think I’ll have to break it down and admit that I can’t pick just one brand for my overall favourite golf company. Golf is such an intricate sport, and because of that I think each of these is the clubhouse leader in the fields noted.

Driver and Fairway - Cobra

There’s something to be said about that Infinity Face and the way they’ve taken the driver market by storm over the past few seasons. I first noticed Cobra with the release of their F7 line, but really started to listen with the F8 and milled face. I knew they were on to something then. I’ve had a club from each of the F7, F8 and F9 lines in my bag and can see the progression in technology. They’re all still amazing clubs, but I see big things coming from Cobra with RAD. Combining looks, available stock options and performance make Cobra my favourite in this category.

Irons - Mizuno

We all have heard the saying - “Nothing feels like a Mizuno.” Well, they’re right. I admit that I have only had a few brands in my bag over the years, but when I first swung a Mizuno club I was hooked; I took it all, including the line and sinker. And it tastes good. My love here started with the MP-57. I played them for a year looking to improve my striking. It was addictive trying to catch the sweet spot to be rewarded with that Mizuno feel. I was lucky enough to land a set of MP-18 SC irons at the end of last season after reading many reviews and hearing a certain THP staffer talk highly about them, and learning that they were in his bag. These are the whole deal - beauty, feel and balance while remaining true to their Grain Flow Forged technology.

Shafts - Project X

I let anyone know who’ll listen how amazing we were treated by the team at Project X during the THP Experience in 2019. And I’ll gush at how incredible the process is of designing, hand-rolling and playing a 1-off golf shaft. Knowing the people behind the brand, and their story is only half the appeal for me here. It’s also seeing that these are some brilliant, and kind human beings who are producing technologically superior product with looks to stop NYC traffic. I mean, look at the HZRDUS line alone - you’ve got the OG with that iconic logo, the Hulk Green, and now the RDX Blue in the best PVD finish I’ve seen. I’m a PX fan for life.

To play a well-rounded game of golf, you need multiple shots in your bag. And I think to play the best golf possible, you need to consider what every manufacturer is doing in each category and how their products mesh with your style.

I had started gravitating towards Callaway prior to the Grandaddy but that event sealed the deal. It was more the people than the equipment. Yes the equipment absolutely performs but the people and their passion and gratitude towards the game and the kindness they showed towards me and my team is why Callaway is my favorite brand!

I typically do not carry just one brand. I seem to always have a mix. Right now I have Mizuno irons, Callaway wedges, Titleist driver, Srixon Woods, Cobra/Tour Edge hybrids and a TaylorMade putter.

it’s easy to say callaway became my favorite brand because of the grandaddy. and it wouldn’t be wrong, though that is only part (albeit a big part) of the reason.

being at their hq in california, and seeing how insane and massive their r&d is, blew me away. now, i haven’t been to any other oem hq to compare, but it is phenomenally impressive nonetheless.

but then to experience first hand how some of the biggest and most influential names in golf equipment design stop their day(s) to lean into average golfers who could never feasibly provide sufficient roi, shows that deep down these are men and women who just love golf, and are passionate about helping everyone maximize their own love of the game.

they also make a damn fine, often best-in-category product.

As I think about this there really isn't just one brand that I use and play. My bag is a mix of weapons created for my swing and game. Each has really been put there for certain reasons from the grind of my wedges to my driver. I'm very willing to make a change and try something new if it means it will help me within my game.

Maybe the brand I use most often is the FootJoy :footjoy: golf gloves? I like the feel of the WeatherSoft and there is not a better feeling than a new glove. Also - maybe my ball? I've been a :titleist: ProV1 for quite some time. I've tried others, even the :callaway: Chromesoft when they first came out, but I tend to gravitate back to the PV1 as I know what to expect and the feel of the ball of the club.

Callaway for sure.

And it really just comes down to The Grandaddy. The red carpet rolled out thanks to THP and Callaway. You don't get opportunities or that lucky all the time and we get that opportunity here.

This was back at the end of 2017 and some new gear in the bag but stayed loyal to the brand.

Now I read this or read that about having a 1 brand bag could be hurting your max potential. Like a mixed bag or having a club fitting with no bias will help you the most. Could be true, but the way I was treated in California those 4 days by the staff is something I don't forget, and for that I will remain loyal to that brand, no apologies!

Mizuno. Irons are the foundation for a bag of clubs. I love irons. I didn't know much about Mizuno irons, and that started to change with @Jman's review of the MP-18 line. I followed the review and ongoing feedback and input carefully. And then I went to get fitted. He only had the Hot Metal head for me to hit, and I was crushing it. But I knew I wanted the MP-18s. So I ordered the MMC set. And I have loved those irons. Last year I wanted to buy new irons but couldn't find anything I liked better. I tried everything I could get my hands on. Instead of new irons I put in some Recoil 110s. And I loved them just that much more. During that timeframe I started to follow Mizuno on social media and have enjoyed listening to @Vosh68 discuss their products with THP, TXG, etc. My fondness grew and Mizuno has notched in a favorite for me. I think between the MP-20 and JPX 921 lines, they have the optimal lineup of options. I also like their putters and can't wait to try the new additions.

Cobra became my favorite brand back in 2016 when their equipment started to suit my eye and I liked the direction they were going with their technology. My Morgan Cup experience solidified my preference to Cobra back in 2018. I’m always excited to see their new releases and usually give every demo club they send to my local pro shop a test against what I currently play.

A THP experience last year changed my mind about :titleist:

I thought if them as a ball company that made clubs that were too hard to play but after that weekend and hearing about their dedication to consistency across the board made me a fan. The woods came from the event, then I bought wedges, then irons, then a putter.

I previously had an exclusive sense of loyalty to Ping. My neighbor is a rep and I may or may not have gotten discounts, plus they make really good equipment. So I had a good amount of Ping gear in the bag and tended to give them first shot. I stupidly experimented and Club hoed my way away from i20 irons and G30 driver.

Fast forward a few years. I had a mixed bag until I was selected for the Grandaddy, where I received 14 custom fit clubs. I still have all my gear and it’s all in my bag being gamed except for wedges which were upgraded to more recent Callaway wedges. I am loyal to Callaway because I truly appreciate the generosity they showed me and our team. But more than that they invited us to be a part of their clan, they are just great people and I genuinely believe the equipment we received is superb. I don’t expect to change anything anytime soon but if I do Callaway will get first shot. If their gear works, great. If something works better I’ll play it. And that’s all they really ask of us.

Last edited:
Callaway for sure.

And it really just comes down to The Grandaddy. The red carpet rolled out thanks to THP and Callaway. You don't get opportunities or that lucky all the time and we get that opportunity here.

This was back at the end of 2017 and some new gear in the bag but stayed loyal to the brand.

Now I read this or read that about having a 1 brand bag could be hurting your max potential. Like a mixed bag or having a club fitting with no bias will help you the most. Could be true, but the way I was treated in California those 4 days by the staff is something I don't forget, and for that I will remain loyal to that brand, no apologies!

I hear that same thing all the time. The truth is, most brands have clubs to fit anyone’s game, you just have to get fit.

A THP experience last year changed my mind about :titleist:

I thought if them as a ball company that made clubs that were too hard to play but after that weekend and hearing about their dedication to consistency across the board made me a fan. The woods came from the event, then I bought wedges, then irons, then a putter.

Their irons are so good. A total brand, that’s for sure!

Many years ago I played with a group at a country club i was a member of and there was a guy i played with a lot, He played Hogan Medallion Blades...HE WAS DAMN GOOD ! I still want a set of those....but hogan has been something i have always kind of tinkered with, and finally bought....Now i have the Combo set and they have lived up to all my expectations

I have never played a single brand in my bag for a long time. I have become loyal to Callaway thanks to THP and The Grandaddy.
Callaway will always get first shot in the bag and if it works it will be there.
I will continue to always try other brands, I want to play the best I can and you have to play what first and works for you.

I had posted this in another thread in regards to mizuno and favorite brand. I have really gotten into watching videos with Chris Voshall he is really into explaining a lot of their information and does a great job at it. Loves talking tech and what goes into their brand. It’s interesting how you can like the equipment and like it even more by its presentation given by someone. Is it the brand or Chris I like more? Lol..

For me , Callaway has always stood out. When I started the game the Great Big Bertha was king. Whenever you check peoples golf bags you were bound to see a GBB in there. As a teen during these times I always wanted to own one but as I had only a part time job and going to school it was out of my reach. Was able to win one in a junior tournament by finishing 2nd and for me it was the top prize.

Since then Callaway has always been too on my list of 3 companies I gravitate towards. Seems every couple of years I own a set of the ironic Apex pro irons as they all have a spot in my favourite iron sets.

I like the line up from top of the bag to bottom all options are solid choices

It’s been Callaway as long as I can remember. Im not sure how it started, but my favorite golf balls to find on the course were Callaway’s blue (soft) and red (firm) balls, even if I couldn’t tell the difference. Fast forward to the first golf club I actually bought with my own money - the Odyssey 2-Ball CS White Hot XG putter. I LOVED that club. And then I got my Dad’s old 2004 Big Bertha 3W and Driver, which were the clubs I used when I really started playing more golf. That 3W is actually still in the bag although the driver has long since been replaced.

And if there was any doubt, I was selected for The Grandaddy less than two months after joining THP. When the tough decision was made to postpone this year’s event, Mr. Finley was very open and generous with his time. After that, I dove into the Callaway lines and did a bunch of research. Soon after, my trusty old 2-Ball was replaced by a Triple Track Ten and I added a Mavrik Max driver to the bag after doing a Callaway Distance Fitting (which I highly recommend!). And my putting and driving have never been better! Although I can feel my 3W looking over its shoulder at the Mavrik wondering it another will be added to the bag :LOL:

Because of The Grandaddy I’ll always be a Callaway guy. I love the brand and their mission.

Because of the UST Mamiya/ Ben Hogan Experience. I’ll always be a UST Mamiya guy.

But THP has shaped my brand loyalty , I believe in a good way.

Note: I was a Callaway guy before coming to THP, but my experiences have solidified that bias.

Last edited:
My favorite band is Callaway and it really stems from THP and two events I've been fortunate enough to attend.

My first one at #TheCup was a blast because it introduced me to Hashtag Chad and Nate and thru both treated our team so great. The discussions I had with them about their company and how they want to work with was very memorable and has stuck with me.

The second was The Grandaddy. The amount of time, effort, equipment and money they spend to spoil the Grandaddy teams is unreal. The best part is that they are truly all great people that just wanted us to have the time of our lives. That's something that I'll never forget and will always have Callaway as a top company for me.

A pretty close second is Cobra for a couple reasons. Cobra clubs were my first real "name brand" clubs that I saved quite awhile for and the Amp Cell driver was the first driver I could keep in play. Their equipment almost has a nostalgic attachment for me. The other reason is similar to Callaway in that they treated us so well and were such great people to hang out with at an event that I feel connected to their brand. That personal touch is huge for me.
I can’t wait to see some of the answers from those that played in both a Morgan Cup & a Grandaddy...

Reactions: KEV
Personal connection to people. I had a chance to meet some Callaway folks first at the ball event (Hype) here in MA, then more at the Grandaddy. To a person, they were incredibly welcoming, friendly, and all around great people.

As long as any of those folks are still with the company, they'll be my favorite brand.

Back