Die It In The Hole vs Putt Past

aljaklaw

bobo
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
tequila
Very interesting graphic from Trackman. The standard "2 feet past the hole" may in fact be costing you strokes.

mLhTkP9.jpg

Attachments

• 93377362_317316245903323_6900666048091822040_n.jpg
    93377362_317316245903323_6900666048091822040_n.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Yeah, I can see it either. To much orange...
Trackman should have used Black as their color!

Basically, the more your end point is past the hole, the less hole is available for your ball to hit. In the example above, on a flat fuzzy weekend green, a putt that would end up 3'8" past the hole only has 37% of the hole to work with.

I'm not deciphering all of that but the parts I do make since. I typically try to shoot for about 6 inches to a foot past the hole. A short putt never has a chance. Much easier said then done though.

You have to get it to the hole, because 100% that don’t make it to the hole will miss. BUT, you want to strive to keep it less than 2 feet past the cup. Sometimes that’s easier said that done, but still a reasonable goal IMO.

capture_speed.jpg.cd8004e0378576bd9346ff00bdba3aae.jpg

Basically, the more your end point is past the hole, the less hole is available for your ball to hit. In the example above, on a flat fuzzy weekend green, a putt that would end up 3'8" past the hole only has 37% of the hole to work with.
I'm a die it in the hole kind of guy. I think someone (Jack Nicklaus? can't remember for sure) once said if you kind of die it in the hole then you can use the entire cup. If you're putting it past, you're not using the entire hole.

Makes sense.

Yeah, I can see it either. To much orange...
Holy smokes, I was worried it was just me. That’s impossible to read.

I’m a just past the hole putter who often leaves it short. And left. And right.

Another neat tidbit. On what most would consider a fast to glass-fast green, the ball speed consistency needed on a 10-12ft putt to get the ball within 2ft is near tour level

I always attempt to die it in the hole. Of course that is not always what happens.

You have a far better chance of making the putt if velocity shrinks the hole than if you never make it there. Also doesn't take into account how much more you're at the whimsy of the break/grain/etc near the cup at the dying speed. Hard to hold a line without momentum. A ball that finishes 2' past is usually rolling closer to .75 mph at the hole from my understanding, so that's still a pretty big cup.

I'm not arguing the you make less on the edges with more speed point or anything, just that dying it is generally a better way to score. And it's just my opinion. I can always be wrong.

Last edited:
My tendency is to be a die at the hole putter. I'm trying to practice extending this to be more of a through and past the hole. But not 2 ft long. I agree with others that there is a balance that minimizes the at the hole break verse blowing it past so you effectively shrink the hole.

So, even Pelz's 17"-past-the-hole guideline nearly cuts the hole in half? o_O

I've always been a die it into the hole putter who wished he would hit it more with an 18" beyond the hole stroke as to speed.

Maybe I should just embrace my natural tendency.

You have to get it to the hole, because 100% that don’t make it to the hole will miss. BUT, you want to strive to keep it less than 2 feet past the cup. Sometimes that’s easier said that done, but still a reasonable goal IMO.

capture_speed.jpg.cd8004e0378576bd9346ff00bdba3aae.jpg
This is the answer I came in here to post. I agree completely.

I think leaving it short would be increased if you get it to die at the hole vs strong putt in? I guess you just have to weigh the risk in past the hole...

depending on break and all of that, I am always a putter that will be ok if the ball ends up past the hole. Leaving it short bugs me because I am left wondering "if i hit that a little harder it goes in, versus a putt that goes by i'm ok bc i know I gave it a chance"

Used to die it at the hole, watched to many putts come up a rotation short or fall below the hole. I always try to leave it past the hole but still going slow enough that a lip putt may fall in.

which is worse, leaving it short on the lip or 2' past?:banghead:
i want to be 2' past to give it a chance in my opinion.

The effect of slope (or break) increases as speed decreases. You then have to additionally account for the rate of speed decay vs. slope, which is difficult. Also, the physical placement of a cup tends to create a raised area surrounding the hole itself, which acts as a deflection screen to very slow putts.

this is why i subscribe to trying to die it in the hole

I won't argue the data other than to say that it assumes every "die it in the hole" putt actually makes it to the hole.
I'm a 2 or 3 feet past the hole guy. I know some of my lip-outs would drop at a slower speed, but I hate leaving them short and I'm extremely efficient at making come backers once I've seen the break.

Back