Do you change grip (strong/neutral/weak) based on club?

shaner

Reaction score
Handicap
Instructor had me go to a stronger grip on left hand a few months back. While this has been working for me on irons I started struggling with driver and hybrid. Since then I have weakened grip on these 2 clubs with some success. I realize I might be compensating for a swing flaw but I am liking the results.

While I seem to recall hearing that using the same grip across the bag was preferable because it instills swing "repeatability" I am wondering if anyone else uses different grip "strengths" for woods vs irons. I'm also guessing that some change grip position to achieve a particular flight (e.g. need to hook around a tree) in some situations.

Instructor had me go to a stronger grip on left hand a few months back. While this has been working for me on irons I started struggling with driver and hybrid. Since then I have weakened grip on these 2 clubs with some success. I realize I might be compensating for a swing flaw but I am liking the results.

While I seem to recall hearing that using the same grip across the bag was preferable because it instills swing "repeatability" I am wondering if anyone else uses different grip "strengths" for woods vs irons. I'm also guessing that some change grip position to achieve a particular flight (e.g. need to hook around a tree) in some situations.
Same grip on all clubs except wedges. Move that around a bit depending on desired trajectory.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If I don't watch it I will get a weak grip with my irons and start a weak fade with them, I typically see two knuckles on all clubs and try not to deviate from that grip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to maintain same grip and pressure across all clubs, easier said than done though.

I'm not sure if I get a consistent grip on the club from shot to shot, but I will consciously weaken my grip if I need to hit a fade off of the tee etc. Other than that, I don't think about grip too often.

I use the same grip on all clubs except my putter.

I do not intentionally change my grip based on club, except putter.

Same grip on all clubs....maybe that's my problem :banghead:

Ive done that in the past with 3 wood and hybrids that had a tendency to go left. Weakened the grip to help straighten it out.

strive for same grip across all clubs except putter.

My grip stays the same across all clubs minus the putter.

I don't change it based on clubs, but I will change it slightly based on what shot shape I want to hit. Actually did it a few times yesterday with my driver and 4h in particular. Will weaken slightly to hit a fade a little shorter distance, or strengthen a touch to hit a draw and get a few more yards out of the club. I use that in particular when I'm between clubs.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Strong grip on all irons and a neutral grip for woods.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Same grip for full swing shots. For chipping and short pitches, I am trying a weaker grip to expose the bounce a little more and stop digging.

Stronger grip for woods and long irons, neutral for mid irons, and weaker for wedges to take advantage of the bounce.

I tend to keep a neutral grip on all clubs but have to be careful because I tend to weaker the grip for some reason as the round goes on, this maybe do to trying not to hit it left. Which is caused (in my swing) more from my hips getting stuck and just a shoulder swing not the grip at all. Today I realized I was gripping way too light and feeling the club twist in my hands, once I tightened up a bit I hit a lot better iron shots.

What a game, so many little things to mess you up.

I try to maintain the same grip on all my clubs. Enough problems getting that right, who knows what problems I would have trying to do different grips on different clubs.

I keep the same club for all swings. For me keeping things simple gives the best results. Changing for different clubs add to many variables for me.

The same grip on all of the clubs except if I want to encourage a strong fade/draw (ie. around a tree or something) then I'll weaken/strengthen a bit to help that - seems to work great.

One of my most memorable shots was laying 215ish out in a fairway bunker that was on the right side of the fairway - my drive rolled into it. I had enough clearance for the lip but there was a tree in my way. Smart thing to do at my level of hackiness is to go over the tree but of course then I'd be well short of the green...but just take the safe route. Did I do that? Hell no, haha, sometimes I like getting cute. I took my trusty 913f 5w (my favorite club), stood open stance, weak grip and face pointed at the direction I wanted to start in...I actually made good contact, strong fade around the tree, and it rolled up onto the green where I promptly 3-putted. But the shot was cool and it's fun to practice at the range too.

I tend to keep a neutral grip on all clubs but have to be careful because I tend to weaker the grip for some reason as the round goes on, this maybe do to trying not to hit it left. Which is caused (in my swing) more from my hips getting stuck and just a shoulder swing not the grip at all. Today I realized I was gripping way too light and feeling the club twist in my hands, once I tightened up a bit I hit a lot better iron shots.

What a game, so many little things to mess you up.
Interesting about the loose grip pressure/twisting. I was listening to the interview with Colin Montgomerie on THP radio and he said his grip pressure is extremely light. Was going to try that next round and see what happens - I wondered about whether it would cause twisting though ....

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Same grip on all clubs except wedges. Move that around a bit depending on desired trajectory.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This is me!

One bad shot and I will change my grip. It could be my lead hand or trail hand, but I just can't seem to make myself stop experimenting after one poor shot.

This is most likely just an issue for me, the hands have had it rough with years of Commercial fishing and Construction work. Got Arthritis to show for it and it affects the grip.

Interesting about the loose grip pressure/twisting. I was listening to the interview with Colin Montgomerie on THP radio and he said his grip pressure is extremely light. Was going to try that next round and see what happens - I wondered about whether it would cause twisting though ....

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back