Do you feel your handicap accurately reflects your ability?

Yeah. I feel that as a streaky player I might be at a disadvantage on most rounds this way, though. For handicapped tournament purposes, it pays to be a little more consistent.

I don't play any official competitive events but is what you say true? I mean being more consistent (something I think we all strive to be) may actually leave one somewhere in the middle as for competitive play. Never too bad but never too great. While being streaky may in the end make for one having more opportunities for winning simply by having the far better than average rounds once in a while. Badly losing some events but occasionally hitting things right for one here and there. No?

I understand what you're saying but I'm actually at a 5.8 now just haven't updated .

I used to break par so yah.

Times have been better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. He's ungrateful of the God given talent he was given. But I know what Jrod is talking about. When you see yourself decline due to practice time, age or whatever the reason it's frustrating.

I understood and yea, it is all relative :)
But "times have been better" is certainly much more the way imo to have put it.

The fact that very many have been trying for years to even get close to his cap I guess in the end is not really relevant. He is what he is and if that's a 5capper who use to be scratch or so than he does have the right to feel frustrated about that. May not get much sympathy form folks but that is what it is too.
But its all good, I wasn't trying to be mean, but just perhaps if one might think how fortunate they are that they can play better than most (a ton) people who ever play the game, it just might make for a bit less frustrations :)

No. I think it reflects me as a better golfer than I am. The reason being the bunkers at my course are so bad they pretty much have given up even trying to maintain them. Liners are showing through, most have little sand and are more hardpan than anything, many are also full of pebbles and rocks and accumulate water even just from watering the greens and are nothing but mud when we play in the morning and some even have weeds growing in them. Basically, they are GUR. As a result we don't play out of them and since I am such a poor bunker player I think my scores would be higher if we had decent bunkers and I played from them.

No. I think it reflects me as a better golfer than I am. The reason being the bunkers at my course are so bad they pretty much have given up even trying to maintain them. Liners are showing through, most have little sand and are more hardpan than anything, many are also full of pebbles and rocks and accumulate water even just from watering the greens and are nothing but mud when we play in the morning and some even have weeds growing in them. Basically, they are GUR. As a result we don't play out of them and since I am such a poor bunker player I think my scores would be higher if we had decent bunkers and I played from them.

that's a shame. Maybe it would serve them and all concerned to just rid the bunkers and lay some sod down instead. One of my home county courses just renovated its bunkers over past two off seasons (wineter) and that course has about 150 of them. Was quite the project. Whats great is that they are all similar and consistent now where as prior we would have different sand and conditions in one vs another. At least now if you end up in a few or even several lol within a given round you know what to expect.

been thinking of this again while my cap this past couple revisions has dropped from about 16.5 to 14.5 and as of today is currently trending at 13.9.
While my game this past month or so has steadily gotten better and more consistent than ever before and I been spending a lot of time sub 90 I have had at least one esc hole in several rounds. Now I know that's not world apart from the current cap but it does play in favor of the fact that our caps are and will always be better (even if slightly) than we actually are.

I think my handicap overestimates my abilities sometimes. I'm so up and down on the course lately, I never know which golfer is going to show up.

Not even close at the moment. Not enough rounds the last two years to "move the needle" and get a real picture of my best golf currently.

Sometimes i feel like I'm better than my cap but then I'll have just an awful ball striking round and I'm reminded why I'm not below 10.

I think my handicap right now is far too generous. The way I'm playing lately makes my official HC look like vanity handicapping. I'm playing to about a 32 right now. it's also making me wonder why I bother keeping one until I get better.

When it gets to where I'm shooting regularly around 90 or in the upper 80s if that day ever gets here, I might consider reupping with GHIN again.

Back