Do you get this angry?

Never done it but have seen the results of someone doing the exact same thing

There was a group on a tee near our green we were on and we heard a tee shot, a curse, closely followed by laughing when the rest of the group started laughing at his misfortune after he threw his club and it got stuck in a tree as well

I witnessed a fairly entertaining club throwing incident last fall. An older gentlemen (65ish) was teeing off on a short par 4 along a barbwire fence line separating a newly harvested corn field. There were not many people on the course that day. it was the middle of the week and probably 55 degrees with some wind. He slices 2 golf balls into the field and the second one was almost a shank. He throws his club in the field toward his 2nd ball. After he calmed down, he decided he was gonna go after his driver. He tried to climb between the rows of barbwire but he kept snagging his jacket on the wire and getting stuck. Stuck to the point that he almost couldn't back his head out. I felt bad for him so I went through the wire to get his club for him. He gave me a quick thank you and that was all he said. Rough day for that guy.

Last edited:
I’ve done that once when I was like 22, didn’t bother me as it was a worn out wedge

Long time ago...played in a HS Match and the team we were playing was superior to ours. Coach decided to put me as a sophomore and #5 against their best guy. He was clocking me and then on the 6th hole he missed a short putt and tapped in and tossed his putter....it went way up and stuck in a pine tree a good 30 feet off ground. No way to retrieve...We go to next hole and then on green he asks to borrow my putter, and I explain, ya gotta use one of your clubs....I proceeded to beat him. He was so much better than me, but he absolutely lost it. I have never thrown a club, once I swung and hit my bag laying down and bent an iron shaft in it....

lol, one time at my home course in Virginia, My buddy hit one deep in the woods, I was helping him look for it and found a 3 wood, back then it was a Callaway WarBird Fairway 3 wood, I just couldn't believe someone had chunked it that far....turned it into the clubhouse cause it had someones name on it, back then we had like mailing labels on the shafts....giuy laughed when i told him where i found it, said the guy stopped in on his way out a few months earlier and said he left it on a tee box incase someone found it....

I got paired up with the 'biggest loser' I have ever seen. On the 4th hole, par 4, he duffed his tee shot with a 4i. Next thing I see is his 4i flying past me like a whirly bird. This guy had one of the worst swings I have ever seen but was taking his frustration out on his irons. Strangely, he didn't have any driver or fw's in his bag, so I asked him why? He said he threw them all into a lake on another course, out of anger, and in fact had done that with 3 sets of driver/fw combinations. I guess he ran out of his supply of driver/fw's and could only play with the irons that he has left? I can see getting angry, maybe slamming the ground with a club, but not throwing clubs. Golf can be frustrating, but we shouldn't cross the line.

I will admit that many years ago I could get that mad and I did so on occasion.
I tossed a club or two (not up into a tree), and threw a ball or 10 into a lake, but I learned a long time ago that the anger and temper tantrums didn't help fix any issues.

Clubs...No.

Ball in water or woods after finishing a hole...yes.

Helicoptering a club angry, no. Occasionally toss it 4’ to near my bag? Whenever I skull one over the green.

I can't remember ever being angry on the golf course. Bummed at bad shots oh yes for sure. If I was within reach of a milestone score and hit a bad shot I'd be upset but not enough to throw or break a club.

I do remember a friend throwing his club once when he was going for his best score on that course. Club flew through the air, bounced on the grass and right into the pond. He easily fished it out at the edge of the pond but everyone laughed except him.

I climbed a high pine tree in Orlando to go after my PW. When I was near the bottom on the way back down, I look down to see my high school coach standing at the base of the tree with his arms folded... That was the last time I threw a club. lol

Never broke or threw a club, just a tip dug into the grass. Didn't they say Brooks snapped every club in his bag recently, but at home?
Linky

I used to have hot temper issues in my youth and was known to throw a club once in a while. After a 20 year break from golf to raise kids, my maturity and self control is much, much better. 😃

Once upon a time I would. I had one incident where the tee box had multiple levels and a wood retaining type wall to create the levels. I hit a terrible tee shot with an iron and in frustration flipped my club in the air, maybe like 8 ft high or so, but it came down right on that wood and bent the shaft. Since then I've toned back the temper, but have also accepted that I'm just not a very good golfer so there's no sense in getting that worked up.
One of my friends' favorite sayings for people who have temper fits on the course is "You're not good enough to get that mad!".

I have never thrown a golf club or gotten that angry. I get upset with myself and let myself know it when I make a mistake, but never to the point of showing anger to anyone I am playing with.

One of my friends' favorite sayings for people who have temper fits on the course is "You're not good enough to get that mad!".
It's a good way to look at it for me. This little episode occurred during a summer I had a membership and was really trying to turn into a good golfer (unsuccessfully 😢) I still have moments of frustration, but they're few and far between in comparison to 20 something me :LOL:

Maybe when I was 12 yr old.:LOL:

I avoid golf during a breakup or a divorce. Just too much going on.:oops:

I was paired up with a couple of guys in Australia a number of years ago. On the fourth tee, the guy who had not started well hit three drives out of bounds, then threw his driver up a tree. As he stared at the club hanging twenty feet above his head, his partner said 'You might want to throw a provisional.' We all laughed and he calmed down. Reunited with his driver, he then played the last 14 holes well.

Afterwards , his partner confided in me that his daughter was very ill and he had been brought onto the golf course to distract him..... Since then I have been slower to judge.

I’ve broke at least 5 clubs. I’ve hurled countless. Now I just drop it to prevent a or b.

When I was like 12 I bowled a lot , i averaged like 180 then. I bowled In a tournament and averaged maybe 150, walking back to the lockers I bounced my ball into a cinder block wall. My dad who was supper positive and really never raised his voice pulled me aside and said in no uncertain words never again or my career is done. Needless to say I controlled myself from then on where I eventually bowled professional for a few years. Through out life its a lesson thats helped me overcome many hurdles.

Back